“Skywalk A Must-See - Spectacular Vista”

Kinzua Bridge State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: State park featuring some of Pennsylvania's historic railroads.
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Skywalk A Must-See - Spectacular Vista”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The addition of the skywalk platform and extension of the portion of the Kinsua Bridge that you can access on foot is a vast improvement. It is an undeniably beautiful vista. But there really is not much else to see at the Bridge itself beyond the ruins, which are off-limits. There is a small picnic area and (seasonal) bathrooms, plus a port-a-potty that seems to be open year-round, with some historic interpretive elements. Some of the signage to the park coming from the north is wrong and misdirects travellers. Sadly, after a 75% drop in attendance, the Knox Kane Railroad that used to operate an excursion train tour to the bridge apparently stopped running in 2004 and we heard there are plans to rip up the tracks and sell them for scrap metal. We originally visited the site shortly after the 2003 tornado that devastated the other half of the bridge, and had hoped they had preserved a particularly twisted steel bench that had been damaged by the storm, but it was gone. There is apparently also a 1.09 mile hiking trail which we did not have a chance to explore, but for a 328-acre state park I guess I was expecting more areas the public could access. I'd like to come back in the autumn. Site claims to be wheelchair accessible but I doubt many could push up and down the sloped (paved) walkways to the bridge and outlook platforms easily. Free parking and no access fees.

Visited April 2014

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
385 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Trip to Meadville”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

On our way from Wellsboro to Meadville, my wife spotted a sign for Kinzua Bridge State Park. She looked it up in the tour book, and we decided to stop. I'm glad that we did. It is an observation deck built on the remains of a railroad bridge that was struck by a tornado. You can still see the wreckage of the bridge on the other side. Sounds strange to enjoy a natural disaster, but it well worth a stop

Visited April 2014
Davenport, Iowa
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Coolest disaster turned park.”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

If you're in the neighborhood you HAVE to check this place out. And preferably once every season. I bet each visit will continue to amaze.
This RR disaster has a become such a beautiful park. I loved my visit. And if I ever make it back to the neighborhood I WILL visit again, no question.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank bleep1978
Kane, Pennsylvania
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“No better place to view fall foliage”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I grew up with the Kinzua Bridge as a place to take company and picnic during the summer. When a tornado blew down part of the bridge, it was an emotional time for us locals. The area now has an easy walkway and glass floor viewing area. It is much more handicapped accessible, esp. for wheelchairs. It is a good walk from the parking area but the view is worth the walk as it is breathtaking. A visitors center is in the plans for the near future, otherwise there are no souvenirs or food/water available in the park. Nearby Mt. Jewett has a few places to eat before or after or bring a picnic lunch as tables are available.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank MayaMia203
Butler, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So Pretty and Peaceful”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I so enjoyed the views and how clean everything was. Very peaceful also. Don't forget your camera - you are going to want to remember this place for a long time.

Visited October 2013