“Absolutely Loved It!”

Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2008

My husband and I had our wedding at The Cameron Estate Inn and absolutely loved it! The site is beautiful and very classy. We qualified to have one complimentary night stay after the wedding. It was extremely convenient, the breakfast was delicious, and the staff are all so friendly. We would definitely recommend The Cameron Estate Inn to anybody searching for a bed and breakfast or planning a wedding in the Lancaster/Mt.Joy area.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rjr001

Reviewed 30 May 2008

My family and I have toured the Cameron Inn Estate and absolutely loved the establishment. It was beautiful and captured a sheer elegant romance. It was a breath of fresh air, something different, something special. With a wedding in mind, we had a good feeling about Cameron Inn.
For our appointment, we met with an individual whom I will not provide the name of. This individual was more mechanical than pleasant. Everything seemed to spill out of "their" mouth like a robot. I took into consideration that this individual was short staffed and it was, in fact, late in the day.
We decided, despite Cameron’s beauty, this establishment would not comfortably accommodate our number of guests. I did, however, refer my cousin to Cameron for her wedding. To her dismay, the person she spoke to was inexcusably rude and would not give her an appointment. She was devistated. There was no excuse for that kind of behavior.
No matter how beautiful a place is, the atmosphere that one receives from the staff leaves a lasting impression. I contacted Cameron Inn with our discontent and have not heard back from them. We will proceed to spread our experience around until we hear that they have turned a new leaf.
It really is a shame, it really is a beautiful establishment.

• Stayed: November 2007
8  Thank alyssia41
Reviewed 27 May 2008

My husband and I spent one night at the Cameron Estate Inn to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, and we are SO glad we spent it there. The house is cozy and inviting with great property to walk around. We reserved The Loft on the 3rd floor which has a private staircase. Everything was so clean. Dinner was amazing, with a great wine list. Breakfast the next morning was delicous - everything was fresh & made 2 minutes before it was brought to your table. I adore this B&B and recommend it to anyone who wishes to visit the Hershey area.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2007

My girlfriend took me on a surprise overnight stay during labour day wekeend. The place is charming, in a quaint kind of way, quite out of time. The room was very nice and comfortable, I actually regret there was a TV set in... The dinner at the restaurant was outstanding and one of the strong points of staying there, and the breakfast was fine and adequate. The service was friendly and unobtrusive.
All in all, a very nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
21  Thank LaurentGuillemard
Reviewed 9 August 2007

Our wedding and reception at Cameron Estate Inn would have been a complete disaster had it not been for our guests and our love. The management was very attentive until they received their money. Thats when their promises and their service ended. Imagine, your hosts knowing that your wedding cake showed up in crumbs and not telling you until 5-minutes before the ceremony. How about servers breaking down tables and displacing your guests before the end of the reception "because they needed to set up for another wedding the next day". And did I mention losing your entire $700 deposit without warning because your guests where too loud? The cost of your room includes breakfast. Our guests thought it was closer to left-overs at Waffle House. The portions where microscopic and you must get up and get your own coffee in cups designed for your childs tea set. If you enjoy being treated rudely, terrible food and broken promises I'd highly recommend this disgrace to the Cameron name. My wife and I both work in the entertainment industry and I can assure you, this experience was not entertaining in the least.

• Stayed: May 2007
22  Thank irockutwo
Reviewed 22 June 2007

I couldn't agree more with the negative reviews herein. The Inn itself is pretty and nicely furnished. Nothing else about this establishment is commendable.

The breakfast food is paltry - a 3 ounce glass of your choice of juice, tiny coffee cups (self-serve), a ramekin of egg omelet, an oily has brown patty, and 2 slices of bacon. Coffee carafes aren't available until just before 8:00 breakfast, and are taken away at 9:00.

No newspapers, no muffins, no cookies, no rolls, no fruit, no cereals, no soda, no water.

Dinner service is slow, and inaccurate. A corkage fee of $15 if you bring your own champagne - and no drinking in any of the public areas.

There are little "rule" cards all over the place - most of which are threatening some sort of financial penalty for infractions (spilt coffee, makeup on towels, mistakes in how one turns on or off the gas fireplace, or hot tub, failure to return a book to the shelf from which it came, etc.).

Biggest issue - at least one of the two innkeepers is positively rude with every interaction. The innkeepers act as if they've been forced to take in boarders.

Look at the responses that the managment has given to complaints on this site - it's all you need to know about their approach to their customers. .

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
25  Thank FellowTraveller99
Reviewed 6 June 2007

My husband and I recently visited Cameron Estate and felt that the experience was below average. I give them a medium rating for food, high rating for beautiful grounds, and pretty rooms, but zero on hospitality and friendliness.

The inn and grounds are pretty. It’s in a residential neighborhood, but I didn’t really notice that. There was enough land around the building that you could walk around a bit. At night it was quiet. Our room was in the front of the inn, was very pretty, and surprisingly quiet for being in such a high traffic area (right by the front door). The bathroom was nothing special – in fact, the floor was linoleum. Some nice tile flooring would have made a huge difference.

Now, for the negatives. At other B&Bs I’ve stayed at, I was made to feel like a guest. At Cameron Estate I felt like I was inconveniencing them by staying there. We stood at the reception desk for 5 minutes without being acknowledged by the staff person. Yes, another customer was being helped, but she could have at least smiled and let me know she’d be with me in a moment. When our presence was finally acknowledged, it was without any smiles, without any friendliness at all. The woman had a sour look on her face the entire time.

When we got to our room we were met with a list of rules. It’s normal for a B&B to let you know about some ground rules, but these were written in such a cold, unfriendly tone that it made us feel unwelcome. Don’t get any makeup on their sheets or towels or you will be charged for cleaning or replacement!

We ate at the inn on both nights, and the meals were pretty good, but not outstanding. We did the fixed price option which includes soup, salad, sorbet palate cleanser, entrée, and dessert. The soups on both nights were wonderful. The sorbet tasted like it had freezer burn. The entrees were good, but the sides were so-so. Some kind of strange corn fritter that was supposed to be the vegetable – I would have preferred something green. And mashed potatoes, nothing special. Breakfast was tasty, with wonderful bacon (one day spicy, one day sweet) on both days. The breakfast quiche was delicious, and the fruit was all very fresh.

The main complaint I have about meals is from our 2nd night. There were still 3 couples left in the restaurant, including us. We were still eating our entrees and the staff started setting the tables around us for breakfast. It was extremely distracting and very noisy – table clothes being put out, silverware clanging. I couldn’t enjoy the meal with all the racket and felt like they wanted us to hurry up and leave. There’s no reason they couldn’t have waited for us and the other couples to get through the dessert course. And don’t you dare touch the radio they have in the dining area! Is it really worth it to put a sign like that, saying “don’t touch the radio.” The impression that sign gives is one of hostility, and also hardly seems necessary. So what if an occasional guest tries to change the CD, is it really that big of a deal?

At check-out, after I settled the bill, the man at the reception desk asked me how everything was. Not wanting to get into everything wrong with the place, I started to mention that I enjoyed the food - but he turned his back on me and started shuffling papers while I was in mid-sentence! So I said goodbye, and he said nothing, back still turned. Amazing. All they care about is that the bill is paid.

The nastily written rules and extreme lack of friendliness have insured that we will not recommend this B&B to others, and will not return.

24  Thank craftyj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Joy
Hilton Garden Inn Lancaster
14 mi away
Lancaster Arts Hotel
Lancaster Arts Hotel
#4 of 40 in Lancaster
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
The Olde Square Inn
The Olde Square Inn
#1 of 10 in Mount Joy
2 mi away
Country Log House Farm Bed and Breakfast

Been to Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!