“Loved the farm but had some not great experiences”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Joy
Rocky Acre Farm B&B
Ranked #3 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to do a farm stay and when I found one in the area we were going to be visiting I quickly booked it. The inn itself is beautiful the Rooms are nice and clean. We had the fireplace room and it was huge. The jacuzzi tub was a nice bonus. Our room was so much nicer than I expected. The property is really nice and it is so fun to be able to interact with the animals all day long. They have a golf cart that the guests are allowed to use. In the garage is full of bikes and ride on toys for the kids. My seven-year-old loved just riding around with the other kids. The baby goats were the highlight of his trip. it was a great experience for him. Each morning after breakfast Mr Benner takes the kids out on a caterpillar tractor ride. He also does pony rides and a hayride for anyone interested. This all takes place from about 9 o'clock until 11. Breakfast is served around 830 and is served family style at a large table in the dining room. My one complaint about breakfast is that it is really crowded and you're squished. The food was great and there was so much of it each day. I liked how they offer different selections each day also. My super picky seven-year-old ate a huge breakfast each day which is just amazing to me. The house can be noisy if the other guests aren't as aware. We had a couple of older boys above us who thundered up and down the stairs. They settled down by bedtime so it really wasn't a big deal. You have to interact quite a bit with other guests so your experience will definitely be influenced by who else happens to be there during your stay. We met some really nice families.
As much as I absolutely loved our stay I did have some negative experiences. Many of the other families there during our stay shared some of these same thoughts. Before I go any further I want to say that the good far outweighed the bad though.
As other people have said when we arrived there was no one there to greet us but there was a note on the door directing us where our room was located. That was fine but at no point did anybody make a point to introduce themselves. We were in the same room as the owners twice that night and they didnt even acknowledge us. even the next day at breakfast when the owners were there they didnt welcome us. We stayed for three nights and the owners never really directly spoke to us at all. It was just really strange. A few times my husband and I tried to speak to the owners in casual conversation but it was like they wanted no part of it. They were present each day at 8 o'clock for breakfast and following breakfast for the morning activities. Even during those Times there were really not any personal conversations. Mrs. Benner offered some suggestions and answered questions about the area and she was very pleasant in doing so however that was the extent of her conversations with any guests that I saw. One morning before breakfast I went in to ask her if we could possibly feed the lamb his bottle. They only feed the lamb one bottle per morning so whichever guest gets down there first gets the luxury of being able to do that. Since it was our last day I was eager to get my son up and out to do this. Mrs. Benner hardly looked up from her kitchen prep and briskly asked "is the child ready?". When I said yes she said "well where is he?" I had to bring him around the counter so she could see him before she would even give the bottle over. She acted very annoyed. I felt like a little kid who was being scolded. This was another issue. When you have nine guests rooms you will also have nine families who are interested in doing certain things. If you only have one bottle to feed the lamb maybe you should A)not allow any guess to do it or B)have a sign-up sheet so we know which morning we will have a turn. Bottle feeding the calves was the same issue. The info book in our room said to go to the barn by 7am to feed the calves. We did, and two other families also arrived. There were now 4 kids out there. The farm hand did not speak English. He brought out 2 bottles and got the calfs started. One child promptly fed the entire bottle to one calf. I asked if my son could have a turn but the mother basically ignored me. The other 2 children (siblings) were taking turns feeding the second bottle. Even though we had arrived first we were not going to get a turn. I had to ask that mom if my son could possibly get a turn before it was gone. So 3 kids had to share one bottle while the 4th kid with the selfish mom got her own. I don't understand why they didn't have more bottles. There were at least 25 calves that the farm hand would be bottle feeding. Or, again have designated days for your turn. A farm hand who spoke English and actually interacted would have been great also. This was also true of the milking. The book told us to go to the barn at 9pm to watch milking. We did and the farm hand had the staticky radio on and the music was painfully loud. He didn't speak English so there was no info given or any interaction. Again it was awkward. I understand the farm hands are hired to take care of the cows and not entertain guests but it IS a bed and breakfast and they DO offer these "activities" so maybe they need staff to oversee these things? I know it's been commented on before but the cows really do not get out to pasture. They are kept in A cave like barn. I have no doubt their living conditions are better than most large dairy farms but still sad to see. It is a true dairy business and not a few cows hand milked by old macdonald lol. The chickens are also not let out of their building. I would have expected them to be either free range or at least have an outdoor pen.
I know it seems like I have a lot of gripes but we honestly thoroughly enjoyed our experience and I would recommend it to others. The good far out weighed the bad. The Benners have been doing this for awhile and I doubt they have much interest in changing the situations I felt need changing. They are obviously pleasing many guests as you can read on other reviews.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank sazzifrazz

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Amazing experience on a farm with wonderful hosts and lots to do. This is particularly great for kids - they love the animals - the tractor rides, the playroom, etc. It is such a great experience that we returned again - and my daughter would like to come back every year!!

Room Tip: This is a large house so you will hear people going up and down stairs - we stayed on the top floor...
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I visited Rocky Acre Farm at the end of March with my daughter and two grandchildren, ages 6 and 8. R.A. Farm provides a rare opportunity for children to experience real farm life. For instance, my grandchildren got to give a bottle to a 1-day-old lamb, and to collect eggs from the chicken house for breakfast. This bed and breakfast was built in the 1760's with a 2nd addition in the 1800's, and a 3rd in the 1920's. There are 9 nicely-decorated guest rooms. Reserve early as R.A Farm is very popular and has many return guests.
The breakfast bell, rung by young guests, rings at 8:15 each morning and the guests all congregate in the large dining room. The sumptuous breakfast is served family style and in generous portions. My favorites were the fresh scrambled eggs and the crumble cake. After breakfast, the children won't want to miss out on the pony ride or the hayride. And when children are ready for a break from farm activites, they head to the new GAME ROOM. (Adults are also welcome :) Guests can play air hockey, ping pong, pool, skee ball, and shuffleboard.
On your first visit, be sure to ask questions and read over the guide in your guest room so that you don't miss out on any of the fun. Bring small suitcases that you can carry up a flight or two of stairs. No credit cards are accepted so bring your checkbook. And then get ready for a step back in time.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay here. Our first time here and absolutely loved it! The staff is wonderful and friendly. We did not meet the owners (they were on vacation) but hope to someday. The rooms are very clean and charming. The breakfast is out of this world! My kids ages 2 and 6 both did NOT want to leave! My 6 year old had a blast making new friends with the other guests' kids and they played together so well from morning till night! I personally appreciated the coffee area for guests, I thought that was a nice touch. I also love how the owners open up the rest of the house for the guests that you can just hang out in the family room or kitchen and get to know the other guests. There is also a game room with skee ball, air hockey, and other games. We fed goats, milked cows, rode a pony, collected eggs from the chickens, and even had a bonfire and made smores at night. Really perfect for families! We will be back!!

Reviewed 21 March 2013

This was an amazing experience for my whole family!! The accommodations were amazing and comfortable. The activities were more than expected and the breakfast? Well... I have never seen a breakfast like this before! It was large and delicious! Good enough for my teen to not miss it once! lol I would highly recommend this B&B. We are planning our return visit for sometime next year! (We are 9 hours away from this location) Thanks Rocky Acre Farm for the fantastic memories!

Room Tip: We stayed in the apartment. The oldest part of the house built in 1776. We absolutely loved it! Havi...
1  Thank Suzanne L
Reviewed 29 December 2012

My family loves this place. We are from the Atlanta area and took a Philly/Lancaster/Hershey vacation in June 2012. Rocky Acre was our hub for Lancaster/Hershey. There is so much to do on the farm. From breakfast, the "chores" of bottle feeding the calves, feeding the goats, collecting eggs, to the fun of riding the golf cart, playing in the creek or an impromptu basketball game. Never a dull minute, unless the swing caught your eye :).
The breakfast was fantastic. My 10 year old boy & 8 year old girl have very fond memories of this place! We'd love to find a way to go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank luvtogowiththefam
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Our first trip to Lancaster and we lucked upon this little gem. Our 7 yr old had such fun milking cows, feeding the calves and goats, taking a pony ride, etc. The owners were very gracious and welcoming. Breakfast was fantastic - farm raised eggs, peach cobbler, 3 types of pancakes, hashbrowns with southern gravy. YUM!!! Ask for hashbrowns and gravy - to die for. Rooms were well ekpt - we had the fireplace room and enjoyed the glow of a (gas) fire.

Can't go wrong with this place. Book early though or you will miss out!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally B

Been to Rocky Acre Farm B&B? Share your experiences!