“Like Joining a Local Family Reunion” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Gathering Place
Ranked #23 of 45 Restaurants in Mount Joy
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Description: Jim and Joanne Pinkerton cordially invite you to celebrate your next occasion at The Gathering Place. We offer complete banquet and buffet service for Weddings, Showers, Family Parties, Meetings, Church or Club Gatherings and host a Sunday Buffet open to the Public from 11AM-1:30PM. Our facilities offer plenty of FREE parking (100 spaces), a warm welcoming atmosphere, and an abundance of hot home style food, served by a friendly, courteous waitress staff.
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
“Like Joining a Local Family Reunion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

The Gathering Place both reflects and helps to define traditional local dining. Smaller than more famous buffets, the mood has a familiarity that resembles local family reunions, which is to say, reservedly chatty and mildly festive. Not ideal for Atkins/Paleo, there is a traditional emphasis on breads, potatoes, legumes, pies and pastries. Recipes are unpretentious and hearty, deriving from Pennsylvania German tradition, so don't expect gourmet. However, if you want to experience a local standard-bearer for communal dining while sampling numerous farm-derived recipes, this is the place! Personal favorites include: Gene Wenger's ham loaf (Gene's a great guy, with a butcher shop in neighboring Elizabethtown), buttered lima beans, scalloped potatoes, shoo-fly pie and cranberry spritzer.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Average and Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

From the host/hostess to the waitressing staff I noticed they were very friendly and seemed to work well together. Although I don't think that can make up for the boring food options. For the price paid I expected more.. Looking at the menu it appears the same boring options never change. I can't see myself coming back here to endure the "happy birthday" songs. If you are looking for your average dutch tasteless meals that costs more than it's worth this is the place for you.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre food- overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

Based on previous reviews, it is apparently a popular "family" kind of place for locals. Though a self-service buffet, the service staff were prompt in bringing drink refills, etc and were cordial and wonderfully accommodating. I give the staff an A. Now to the food....

I am not from the area and therefore can't compare it to other local options, I found the food mediocre at best and overpriced. (Either there are few local options to compete or they had an "off day" when we dined there.) If they are going to charge almost $18 per person, at least better quality food could be offered.

All reviews, including mine are relative and bias, based upon our particular likes/preferences and food experience. I am glad they meet a local need and wish for their continued success. When I am in the area again, I may give them another try.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jim H
Mt. Joy
“A Great Place to Eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

Come one, come all! The Gathering Place serves the most fantastic Sunday Buffett. The food is all homemade and delicious. The atomsphere is wonderful. Joanne and her staff are the most wonderful people! You can't afford to miss out on this fabulous place. They do catering also and work with you for the affair you are planning. Nothing is too big or too small!

Visited December 2012
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Buffet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I love The Gathering Place in Mount Joy, PA. They have a wonderful, plentiful, and delicious Sunday Buffet (from 10:00-2:00). They regularly do special events and even have a nice outside set up for weddings in summer. We go to the Sunday Bufet, and have gone there on Mothers Day and Birfdays, plus we go there for our Church's Family Banquet. They put out a wonderful buffet for all of there events and nothing ever runs out. they make sure everyone has plenty to eat. When a platter on the dessert table has only one piece or so left on it, it's taken away, and a fresh new dessert is put in it's place even. I aksed to go there for my last Birthday versus my Mom having to cook. We went there on Mothers Day so my Mom didn't have to cook or we didn't have to and there was no cleanup we had to do. I think I'll ask to go there for my next birthday also (sounds like a great plan). Plus, right now - kids eat free for (I can't rememer how long - but it's nice).

• Visited June 2012