“Hostess was unfriendly and rude”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Joy
Hillside Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I don't understand how this place could have received so many good reviews. I found Ann to be one of the most unfriendly and rude people I have ever met in my life.

It began when my friend and I, who were enjoying a relaxing weekend in PA, called to see if we could drop our bikes off during the day before checking into our room, as we were attending the Renaissance Fair and preferred not to leave them in the parking lot. After hassling us for about 15 minutes over the phone, Ann reluctantly agreed to let us come by around noon. That was the first sign of trouble.

We arrived to check into our room at 8:15 Saturday night, noting on the website that check in hours were from 4:30 - 9 pm, and not wanting to further provoke our hostess by disregarding the rules. There was a note on the front door from Ann saying that check in hours were 4:30 to 7:30, and she had gone out to run an errand. We waited around, hounded by two farm dogs who were covered with mange. Upon her return, Ann did not greet us, welcome us, or even ask our names, just told us that the hours listed on the website were wrong. She then made a point of saying that while she usually offered breakfast later on weekends, she had an event the next day and if we didn't want breakfast at 8:30 we should go somewhere else. She walked us up to our room and left about 30 seconds later, not bothering to provide any further details on our accommodations.

The room was adequate but the hallway had an overpowering fake flower smell to it. The bathroom smelled of poop, and there was a nasty sign on the wall explaining about the septic system. I discovered that the internet needed a password, and spent the next 1/2 hour wandering around trying to find someone to help me with it. Ann had disappeared and we had no way of contacting her or even knowing where she was. I did not see her, or anyone else, again until the following morning.

We were reluctant to go down to breakfast the following morning, but figured we had already paid for it so we might as well try. Ann was in the kitchen cooking, and once again did not bother to greet us or say good morning. She spoke about two words to us all together as she put food down on the table. As soon as the breakfast was out she left the room and we did not see her again for the remainder of our stay, which was probably a good thing in the long run.

To be honest, her husband Gary tried, and I appreciate that. He sat down at the table with us and we had a relatively pleasant, if somewhat awkward, conversation. The breakfast was decent, but not exemplary. Cobbler made with canned peaches is not really my cup of tea. As soon as we finished we hightailed it out of there as fast as possible.

I honestly don't understand 1.) Why this woman is running a B & B in the first place, and 2.) Why so many people find her delightful. I consider myself a very friendly, easy-going, un-threatening woman. Perhaps she was just having a bad week, but I feel it's fair to warn others that the "rave reviews" posted here may be the exception rather than the rule.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer S
Gary L, INNKEEPER at Hillside Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

In reply to your accusations: I never mind honest criticism but honest you are not in your review. I responded to your demeanor because you expected me to have a safe place for your bikes, which other than where I told you to put them I had no clue what to do with them. You seemed to think that you should be able to check in at noon and I cannot finish breakfast, clean up from breakfast and turn over rooms that quickly. I never hassled you on the phone other than thinking perhaps out loud that I really didn't know where you could put your bikes that the dogs wouldn' t knock them over. As to the dogs, they love attention and neither has mange. One is old and the other can have a bath and look the same way you found him an few minutes later. I am sorry you took offense to them. You obviously are not an animal lover. Again am sorry you had to deal with them. I have spoken to our webmaster, he is to update our check in times so this doesn't happen again but in my defense had you ready your confirmation letter you would have seen our check in times were as I stated. As to the note, I thought it the best way to handle since I would be gone for just a few minutes because we were delivering picnic tables to our Amish neighbor. I know you could not have waited long because I was not gone long. As to the breakfast times I never said I offer it later on weekends. I said on ocassion I offer breakfast at 9 rather than 8:30 and I couldn't because we did have a function. I never, to you or anyone else, said you could find breakfast elsewhere. As to me choosing to make breakfast at 8:30, it is stated in the confirmation letter and also on the website that 8:30 is when breakfast is served. Unbelieveable as it might seem, we do have lives but we will honor what is written in our confirmation letter always. Whether the guest chooses to have breakfast at the appointed time is up to them.Your names, I already knew since you were the only guests I took plus I pride myself in knowing who my guests are. I did show you to your room, but gave your receipt and code to our door and asked your beverage preference. Neither you or your friend were friendly to me so I am not sure what you would have me do. I will not force myself on anyone and I certainly didn' t feel like you wanted me around anymore then was necessary. If the bathroom smelled, it would have been of lysol since that is what I use to wash the floor and I always spray the rug and bath slip guard with lysol. As to the sign, if you had to clean it out you may understand why we post such a sign....because folks don't understand what happens to a home septic system when they flush things down the toilet that shouldn't be going down and then it blocks the system. There is a paper in each of our rooms with things that might be helpful to our guests. The password in on the back of that sheet so its just a matter of taking the time to read whats available plus I am always just a phone call away. I do cook breakfast and I am sorry you didn't enjoy breakfast but for your information the peach cobbler was made from peaches off our very own peach tree, not from a can. Again, if you have constructive criticism I am happy to hear it but when you need slander someones every move then shame on you. As to whether I had a bad week I could give you details but lets just say there are loved ones suffering and we are helpless.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

The wife and I spent the evening in the Davis Room, and was quite comfortable and had a great night sleep. Our morning breakfast was prepared by Ann and was one of the largest breakfasts I have ever seen at any of the B & B's we have stayed in, and was delicious. We spent a great part of the evening when we returned from dinner, sitting around and talking with Ann about their home which was built in 1821, and about the Civil War. There is a ton of history that this home has, and Ann and Gary do a wonderful job maintaining the B & B. We will certainly be staying at Hillside Farm in the near future, and look forward to spending time with this wonderful family again. We even brought a couple of balls and played fetch with the dogs.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carl H
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed at Hillside Farm on Friday, June 29, 2012. Ann and Gary could not be nicer folks. The room was great. Breakfast was deliciious. It's a nice short trip to Hershey as well. I would recommend staying there and will plan to do so again in the future. Thanks so much for a wonderful visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GregBabs
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We really enjoyed our time here. The owners, Ann and Gary, were extremely kind and friendly. I felt like I had gone home for the weekend. This is a fun "get away" with a breakfast to die for:)
Have a great holiday and stay here at the Farm. We had our kids too and they can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank steveandang
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This is a great B&B, and we highly recommend a visit. The setting couldn't be more authentic or beautiful with great views from all the windows. Hillside is surrounded by typical Lancaster Co. farmland on all sides, and there are sounds of cows, the nearby river, birds chirping... The house itself is vintage Lancaster, dark brick farmhouse from the early 1800's; the interior is tastefully decorated and filled with a lot of interesting antiques and collected things, many with a dairy farm motif. We are a family of six, and the four kids fit easily into the loft bedroom, which has four beds, and my wife and I enjoyed the Davis room. Though the house is an old farmhouse with heavy walls, like so many in Lancaster, the interior is not dark, and in fact the rooms feel sunny and bright, with new linens. The house is extremely clean, and the food... Anne's breakfasts were the most sumptuous, fullest, most delicious... with a beautifully set table with china and candles, cloth napkins... featuring mountains of freshly prepared everything, including some delicious warm cobbler and a cake, the last morning with a warm sauce over it, that was to die for. My kids couldn't believe their good fortune!!!
So, its an excellent, friendly, clean, comfortable B&B run by veteran innkeepers who really know how to do it right. I hope we will stay there again next year!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jeremy c
Reviewed 20 October 2011

It was nice to read nice reviews, but our experience was not very friendly. When we arrived, we were not greeted with "Welcome", but with a waiver we were to sign which explicitedly indicated that we were responsible for any damages due to many named things. We have traveled to many B & B's and never had to sign a waiver. The type of people that usually travel to B & B's are very respectful to the property and the owners. The note on the back of the toilet laid out all the items that were not to be placed in the toilet that could damage their septic system; it could have been noted to us in a simple reminder. The best was the signs on the closet door---"Fire extinquisher inside closet". Guess what - the extinquisher had not been inspected since 2002 and was only 40% full; we were glad we didn't need to use it. The other great sign read--"If we see you smoking, we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action". Is this sign for real?? When the breakfast basket was brought to our cottage, there wasn't a friendly greeting. So sorry, that we had to be told that we left the deck light on all night! It was supposed to go off at midnight, we were told it is on a timer. One disgusting thing was on the bathroom sink, a washcloth wrapped with a paper that said to use to remove makeup. I threw it on the floor because when I put it to my face, it smelled like mildew. We are the type of travelers that make the best of wherever we go, but this was totally ridiculous.
She did recommend Bube's Brewery in Mount Joy for dinner, and that was fun. The breakfast was very good and big. The location was quite far from Intercourse and Bird in Hand. The cottage was very clean. Oh well, chalk it up to experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My daughter and I stayed 3 nights. Very clean and welcoming! Innkeepers are locals and had lots of knowledge of the area and the people. They "bent over backwards" for us. Breakfasts were very delicious!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family