“Wonderful Breakfasts with "down-to-earth" owners”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Joy
Hillside Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful Breakfasts with "down-to-earth" owners”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My husband and I and his sister and her husband stayed in the Davis room for 2 nights Sept 14 &15, 2013, so the value was great. The only drawback might be that the couple who stays in the twin beds has to come through the main bedroom to go to the bathroom, but it was fine for us. If we had been sharing a room in a hotel, we would have been hearing each others every movement. as well as paying much more. We stayed in 5 B&B's this trip and Hillside Farm's was the only breakfast served family style. All other B&B's served plated food to us so we could not pick and choose like we could here. It was one of the best, freshest, and most plentiful we had, including homemade baked goods. Some foods included were ricotta pancakes, fried potatoes, an outstanding apple dish and an even better pear dish, fresh fruit, bacon, stuffed french toast, and lots more that I have forgotten but were delicious. Keurig single cup coffee machine available all hours. The house is decorated with many beautiful farmhouse antiques, candles in the windows, quilts, and homey atmosphere. I personally do not like dogs, but their 3 were not offensive. There were also cats and horses on the property. Owners, Ann and Gary, were kind enough to let us have a very late check in and a late breakfast the second morning (we misunderstood the walking route and made a 4.8 mile circle! Luckily we are avid walkers - we just felt guilty for holding up breakfast). They shared so much history of the area and house, and information about their Amish neighbors and their lives. We wish that we could have spent more time with them, but we filled our first day with sightseeing and had to leave after breakfast the next morning. This is a very old farmhouse with a lot of character, so expect charm rather than decadence. There is a barn on the property so there is some farm smell outside the house. However, it is a very peaceful setting, clean home, excellent food. The owners are down-to-earth, real life, good people, who are gracious enough to open their home to others.

Room Tip: We saw the loft room too and it would be nice for a couple or party of 3.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank theresaod

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hermon, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hillside B&B over Easter of 2012. We like to travel and spent 3 days at this B&B. Since we were traveling after work on a Thursday, we didn't get to the B&B until around 7:30 or so. We had phoned ahead and let Ann know. We were greeted with a friendly hello as we checked in. Coffee and cookies are always available. Being private people, we retired to our room. Our room was great. We did not have a tv in our room, but we didn't care, we brought our laptop and watched movies. Ann was kind enough to lend us some DVD's she had rented and they turned out to be a big hit with us. Breakfast was big! If you leave hungry, it's your own fault! Ann made terrific breakfasts and Gary would sit down with us and give us a nice history lesson on the area. There is very rich history and these folks know it.

Being that my husband and I have a septic system, we understand the issues that can arise, so I found no offense by the sign in the bathroom. We get it! I would stay here again. I don't like to be hovered on when I am on vacation, therefore, I am glad that they gave us peace. We left the B&B on Easter morning on 2012, leaving Ann with an Easter flower, after all, she was kind enough to rent to us on a holiday weekend. Great stay, quiet place, A+

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JL G
Richmond, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This was our first stay here and our first BnB. Ann and Gary made it a very nice stay! Enjoyed the conversations with them!The place was decorated just beautiful! It is an almost 200 year old house which made it very interesting! And the dogs made me feel right at home! Im not sure what the review was about them having mange.. they did not at all and were very friendly! We stayed in the Davis room. It has a waterfall right next to it that I walked down too. It is maybe a mile or so from town, but still in the country. The food was great and they made sure you had plenty!! Me and my family will definatly be back!! Thanks ~The Doans

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy_d78_13
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We actually didn't end up staying at this B&B because we wanted to be closer to town, but I thought I'd write a review anyway because we found Ann to be incredibly helpful and noticed there are a few bad reviews on here which we feel are unjust. Her B&B is in a nice quiet little spot in the country and her dogs definitely DO NOT have mange. The young boxer is beautiful and her other two dogs are just old, not feral. Ann was more than happy to answer any of our questions and even recommend other B&B's in the area we wanted to stay, as well as recommend restaurants and other places to visit. From what we saw, I would recommend this B&B to anybody!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank jessa_2308
harpursville
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My husband Jim and I have stayed at hillside farm bed and breakfast for many many years and Ann and Gary are the warmest giving people we know. We always are made to feel right at home. Always greated and love the warm friendly dogs that great us as well. This trip for us was a spur of the moment trip and I called Ann and said we were in the area and did she happen to have room for us tonight and her response was " Of Course" so within an hour we arrived and had a lovely room all ready. Air conditioned and a cool pitcher of water in the room waiting for us. We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts but by far this one stands out waaaaaaay above the rest. The food is always homemade and yummy for sure. Ann and Gary are very good at making you feel right at home and are more then willing to go above and beyond what most bed and breakfast places do. They are also very helpful in giving direction to all kinds of wonderful places in the area to see and enjoy while you are there. Jim and Doreen Treadwell will always have hillside farm bed and breakfast at the top of there list and if you all dont think about paying a visit you will certainly miss a great time. Thumbs up to Gary and Ann

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank doreen t
Bethel
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Shall we begin with our arrival at the home? Three dogs were outside, one very friendly and the other two suffering from mange. Needless to say, we avoided petting them. At the door, there was no welcome, not even a hello or good evening. Simply, “oh…yeah,” and then the inn keeper opened the door and walked ahead indicating that we should follow (I am assuming this was Ann but she never introduced herself). Along the way, we were ranted at about how busy the innkeeper was since there was a big picnic the next day and how she just didn’t have time for this. We were taken upstairs to the “Loft” accommodations. The room itself looked satisfactory but this was heavily marred by the fact that the innkeeper had made us feel so unwelcome. We were given no information on how to use the television, DVD player, or access the internet. My friend stumbled upon an information sheet that gave the internet access codes which did not work, but the innkeeper could not be found anywhere. The bathroom had a faint odor of poop and next to the toilet was a very nasty note ranting about the septic system and what items are not permitted in the toilet. The towels smelled of mildew which was exacerbated when they were used. The only positive thing about the night was that we discovered, purely on our own since there was no information available, that there was HBO and we got to watch an old eighties flick. The next morning there was no hello…good morning….nothing. The innkeeper’s husband was in the dining room and when I my friend politely asked how he was he said, “Terrible, but thank you for asking.” Well, how DO you proceed with that??? We sat at the table feeling like interlopers. The worst peach cobbler on the planet was placed in front of us and we tried valiantly to fork some of it down for the simple reason that we didn’t want to be glowered at for not eating it. I was minimally successful in consuming it but thankfully didn’t get any backlash for that. The remaining items were unceremoniously plunked on the table and my friend and I tried to enjoy ourselves. Shortly after, the innkeeper’s husband sat down and tried to repair the damage done by his shrew of a wife by relating story after story of other boarders whom he cared so deeply about and was still in touch with. This did not ring true with us. Clearly, this was the worst Bed and Breakfast experience of my life. My advice to you is: stay away...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank KrisBethel
Red Hook, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I don't understand how this place could have received so many good reviews. I found Ann to be one of the most unfriendly and rude people I have ever met in my life.

It began when my friend and I, who were enjoying a relaxing weekend in PA, called to see if we could drop our bikes off during the day before checking into our room, as we were attending the Renaissance Fair and preferred not to leave them in the parking lot. After hassling us for about 15 minutes over the phone, Ann reluctantly agreed to let us come by around noon. That was the first sign of trouble.

We arrived to check into our room at 8:15 Saturday night, noting on the website that check in hours were from 4:30 - 9 pm, and not wanting to further provoke our hostess by disregarding the rules. There was a note on the front door from Ann saying that check in hours were 4:30 to 7:30, and she had gone out to run an errand. We waited around, hounded by two farm dogs who were covered with mange. Upon her return, Ann did not greet us, welcome us, or even ask our names, just told us that the hours listed on the website were wrong. She then made a point of saying that while she usually offered breakfast later on weekends, she had an event the next day and if we didn't want breakfast at 8:30 we should go somewhere else. She walked us up to our room and left about 30 seconds later, not bothering to provide any further details on our accommodations.

The room was adequate but the hallway had an overpowering fake flower smell to it. The bathroom smelled of poop, and there was a nasty sign on the wall explaining about the septic system. I discovered that the internet needed a password, and spent the next 1/2 hour wandering around trying to find someone to help me with it. Ann had disappeared and we had no way of contacting her or even knowing where she was. I did not see her, or anyone else, again until the following morning.

We were reluctant to go down to breakfast the following morning, but figured we had already paid for it so we might as well try. Ann was in the kitchen cooking, and once again did not bother to greet us or say good morning. She spoke about two words to us all together as she put food down on the table. As soon as the breakfast was out she left the room and we did not see her again for the remainder of our stay, which was probably a good thing in the long run.

To be honest, her husband Gary tried, and I appreciate that. He sat down at the table with us and we had a relatively pleasant, if somewhat awkward, conversation. The breakfast was decent, but not exemplary. Cobbler made with canned peaches is not really my cup of tea. As soon as we finished we hightailed it out of there as fast as possible.

I honestly don't understand 1.) Why this woman is running a B & B in the first place, and 2.) Why so many people find her delightful. I consider myself a very friendly, easy-going, un-threatening woman. Perhaps she was just having a bad week, but I feel it's fair to warn others that the "rave reviews" posted here may be the exception rather than the rule.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennie S
Gary L, INNKEEPER at Hillside Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
In reply to your accusations: I never mind honest criticism but honest you are not in your review. I responded to your demeanor because you expected me to have a safe place for your bikes, which other than where I told you to put them I had no clue what to do with them. You seemed to think that you should be able to check in at noon and I cannot finish breakfast, clean up from breakfast and turn over rooms that quickly. I never hassled you on the phone other than thinking perhaps out loud that I really didn't know where you could put your bikes that the dogs wouldn' t knock them over. As to the dogs, they love attention and neither has mange. One is old and the other can have a bath and look the same way you found him an few minutes later. I am sorry you took offense to them. You obviously are not an animal lover. Again am sorry you had to deal with them. I have spoken to our webmaster, he is to update our check in times so this doesn't happen again but in my defense had you ready your confirmation letter you would have seen our check in times were as I stated. As to the note, I thought it the best way to handle since I would be gone for just a few minutes because we were delivering picnic tables to our Amish neighbor. I know you could not have waited long because I was not gone long. As to the breakfast times I never said I offer it later on weekends. I said on ocassion I offer breakfast at 9 rather than 8:30 and I couldn't because we did have a function. I never, to you or anyone else, said you could find breakfast elsewhere. As to me choosing to make breakfast at 8:30, it is stated in the confirmation letter and also on the website that 8:30 is when breakfast is served. Unbelieveable as it might seem, we do have lives but we will honor what is written in our confirmation letter always. Whether the guest chooses to have breakfast at the appointed time is up to them.Your names, I already knew since you were the only guests I took plus I pride myself in knowing who my guests are. I did show you to your room, but gave your receipt and code to our door and asked your beverage preference. Neither you or your friend were friendly to me so I am not sure what you would have me do. I will not force myself on anyone and I certainly didn' t feel like you wanted me around anymore then was necessary. If the bathroom smelled, it would have been of lysol since that is what I use to wash the floor and I always spray the rug and bath slip guard with lysol. As to the sign, if you had to clean it out you may understand why we post such a sign....because folks don't understand what happens to a home septic system when they flush things down the toilet that shouldn't be going down and then it blocks the system. There is a paper in each of our rooms with things that might be helpful to our guests. The password in on the back of that sheet so its just a matter of taking the time to read whats available plus I am always just a phone call away. I do cook breakfast and I am sorry you didn't enjoy breakfast but for your information the peach cobbler was made from peaches off our very own peach tree, not from a can. Again, if you have constructive criticism I am happy to hear it but when you need slander someones every move then shame on you. As to whether I had a bad week I could give you details but lets just say there are loved ones suffering and we are helpless.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Joy
#2 of 7 in Manheim
Eden Resort & Suites, BW Premier Collection
Hilton Garden Inn Lancaster
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lancaster

Been to Hillside Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!