“Very friendly and attractive”

The Olde Square Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Cary, North Carolina
“Very friendly and attractive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

We were on a getaway weekend with another couple. The rooms were both wonderful - comfortable bed, clean and well decorated, modern bathrooms. The curtains could be fully drawn to allow us to sleep in the morning. The gardens surrounding the house were pretty and restful. We felt owner Georgia's welcome right away - she invited us to have our wine on the second-level deck, and told us where to find glassware and ice. She also gave us several very helpful suggestions for places to visit in the area. The breakfast was top-notch - more than we should have eaten, but we ate it anyway!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for the generous review! Everyone here that weekend wanted to find solace by the pool and just enjoy the gardens and peacefullness of the inn. We did lots of new breakfast recipes and all the guest this weekend loved the new presentations....Hooray! This was a great group of people and some were first time B&B guests. Return to us as I am going to add some new things to make your stay a bit more enjoyable!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Moon Township, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We had yet another awesome weekend at this bed n breakfast! Georgie and Paul do an awesome job with their guests! The rooms are lovely and the grounds are beautiful. We look forward to bringing our daughters the next time to enjoy their beautifully kept inground swimming pool. The breakfasts are always unique and elegantly presented. We love all of the outdoor sitting areas. The rooftop deck was open for this visit located right outside the door to our room (Nevada Sky room). That was a nice touch. There's also a new goldfish pond on the rooftop deck. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the idea that this is an awesome gem in Mount Joy, Pa. Thanks Georgie and Paul for a great stay!!

• Stayed June 2013
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
These gracious comments is what makes innkeeping rewarding!
As innkeepers we all put forth 110% to give our guests our best. Each one of us is different because we have unique personalties.
We come into this business not because we will become rich as we know we won't but we want to extend our hearts and homes to hospitality for those who come through our doors.
This couple was so appreciative with gentle spirits, gracious and absolute delgihts!
We look forward to your return!
Yes, bring the girls and tuck into the carriage house when the pool is open, they will love it .
We will look forward to meeting your girls!
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was my first stay at a bed and breakfast so I was really excited. My friend's wedding was at the Cameron estate but the rooms were a bit steep for the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. So I looked elsewhere and happened upon the Olde Square Inn. Prices were reasonable and it was pet friendly. I read the pet policy and thought it was fairly reasonable. However, I did not know the rooms had paper thin walls.
I was going to arrive late and the innkeeper goes to sleep fairly early so she told me to call her around 8 pm. She was not answering her phone so I called her three times at 8 pm because I wanted to make sure to catch her before she went to sleep. She called me back and told me to stop calling her so much a bit nastily. I wasn't even there yet and already had a bad impression.
The next day, I knew breakfast was served at 8:30 but I wasn't sure if it was an hour slot and just went under that assumption. So I showed up around 8:50 and mind you another couple showed up around the same time. When I went back to my room, I found a lovely passive agressive note telling me not to be late to breakfast.
The room was ok, it was kind of too old fashioned for me. You can hear your neighbors walking around and you basically whisper in your room because it's so uncomfortable. You can't use certain towels if you use Pro-Activ apparently it bleaches the towels. So this is a Pro-Activ discriminating place for all of you users out there. Also, you can't sleep on certain pillows because they're just there for show. You can't have your dog basically anywhere so just keep him in the crate and he can't be a dog that barks because then you have to take the dog with you to a wedding like I did. There were also countless other rules that made me feel as if I was an unwelcomed visitor.
I spent the rest of my time as far away from the Inn as I could. I even left a day early because I did not want to stay in such an uncomfortable place, almost $400 down the drain.
In conclusion, I felt the innkeeper was very fake nice. She was never outright nasty but honestly, I would've appreciated her bluntness to silly post it notes. If you enjoy being at your grandma's house with all of her stringent rules, then this is the place for you. The rooms were mediocre and need some updating. This place was too countryside but not in a tasteful way.

Room Tip: Stayed at the Summerfeld, it's right in front of the dining room. It is awkward coming out of th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AA158589
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Wow what a review!
This gal kept calling one time after another, non-stop. She must have had me on redial and she did not give up.
Sometimes we cannot answer the phone immediately because we could be helping another guest, taking a shower, in a meeting etc.
When she did reach me which was already going on 4:00 and check in is from 4-6 that they were just leaving Boston and it would be hours before they would arrive. That is fine as we make special arrangements for key pick up and I appreciated her letting me know.
She also asked in this phone call if they could place a third person in their room and the details on the site explain we cannot accomodate this and we were fuly booked that weekend.
We always return the call as soon as possible.
Paper thin walls? There is no guest room beside the Summerfield and there was none in the common area.
Breakfast was held outside each morning so that left no one in the dining room.

The inn has been completely restored. Half the guest rooms are "old world" and half our contemporary. It is your choice to choose the room you would like from the pictures on the website which shows the decor and details of the room.
We keep a small towl available for guests who use pro-active as it absolutely does bleach your towels. A pro-active user would know this. Another guests would not appreciate towels that are very bleached by someone else's product. Many folks use pro-active and we would like to keep the towels nice as they are pricey to purchase. But maybe we should consider white towels in the next purchase as you would not notice the bleach.
There are decorator pillows on the beds so the bed looks lovely for you. It is up to you if you want to sleep on them but when you buy them as most people know they are for "the looks".
Guedelines for pets are a must in order to make sure our other guests have an enjoyable time.
This guest told me her pup DOES NOT BARK. They left the room and the pup immediately started to bark and it was non-stop. This pup I found out was only five months old, still in the training stage. Guests do not want to listen to someones dog barking.
The dog policies are very clear regarding crates, barking and having them with other guests.
You have to try and appease guests with pets and those who don't have them.
There were no rules posted in the inn.
Only a note on the chalkboard that states we are delighted to have you and we hope your experience is an excellent one.
This guests did not leave a day early. She stated the evening before they were heading out at 4 or 5 in the morning to avoid traffic.
Post notes, there were none. I did place a very small note simply stating "Breakfast is at 8:30" for no other reason that I was not sure I was going to see them before they headed out for the day. Again this is noted on the confirmation
I believe our reviews and the countelss, hundreds of notes in our guests books tell you of our caring and consideration for our guests.
We are disheartened that you did not enjoy your stay.
Sometimes the Bed and Breakfast experience is not for everyone but we as innkeepers want to make it a good experience as best we can from our end.
For an innkeeper it is difficult to receive such a response from a guest.
The tech world is a great thing but it has taken away the opportunity it seems to "converse", to discuss things because people choose to vent through various medias.
Very sad to me that this guest was so unhappy and did not speak to us in person.
We can't change things, make amends, offer grace, whatever is needed to improve a stay if we are not spoken with.
We will keep doing our best, improving, listening to our guests and embrace each person who comes through our doors
Grace.....................
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

The Olde Square INN, was a pleasant stay. My Husband and I went to celebrate our wedding anniversary and our main goal was to spend quality time and REST. With three young children, work and all the demands of a busy city life, we desperately had quiet and peace on our minds. The Olde Square Inn was perfect! It was very clean PEACEFUL and QUIET. The room was beautifully decorated with a calming pastel floral wallpaper. Breakfast was delicious and the Innkeeper Georgie was friendly, helpful and informative. The county of Lancaster is beautiful and tranquil. We enjoyed some time walking The Chickies Trail, along with some shopping in the outlets, we did some pottery and enjoyed nice meals at their local resturants. We also did the Amish Tour, which was very interesting experience. The town of Mount Joy is lovely. My next visit will be in the summer time to enjoy the extra perks that comes with summer. I highly recommend The Olde Square INN!!..FYI-They are also pet friendly!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
This was a couple who really wanted solace and a time to renew within themselves.
I was hoping they would find that renewed spirit while getting way for their anniversary.
We helped to guide them into what their interests were and they enjoyed what they experienced.
It is so nice to have a couple so gracious and thank you for the services you provide for them.
They were so very gracious and considerate.
We welcome them back anytime.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

My first time in a Bed and Breakfast, My stay was excellent and I have stayed in five star hotels that was not as nice as The Olde Square Inn. I would highly recommend the Carriage House for You and Your Boo. Location was perfect for shopping and sightseeing, but most of all it was quiet.

Room Tip: The Carriage House
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
I did not know this was a first time at a B&B for these folks. They shared what their business was and it was one that carries a lot of responsibility and stress. My hope was they were going to have the respite they so needed. Easy folks they were and very appreciative of us and taking care of their little cottage. Absolutely delighted that they enjoyed their stay! We encouraged them to return when the pool and balcony with the pond is open! Sweet, delightful folks!
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

The Olde Square Inn at Mount Joy is a nice B&B in the Lancaster area. The rooms are furnished very tastefully and kept clean. We had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was tasty with good coffee. The inn-keeper, Georgie was very warm and welcoming. She was very accommodating of us being vegetarian. Georgie was also helpful with finding places to eat and sightseeing. We had great conversation with her.

There are a few minor points of note. We found a couple of harmless insects in the room. Georgie said she'll take better care on that front. Breakfast, while tasty, could have included some toast & fruits for those who wanted to fill up some more.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
We take great care and detail in the cleaning of our rooms. This is a time of year when folks open windows for fresh air when the weather is a bit unsure. There was a ladybug and unfortunately a stink bug. Both harmless and could have come in through the window or even on someone's luggage or clothes. I find it disappointing that someone chooses to focus on this because it is a situation of nature sometimes out of our control. As you read our reviews you will find that we are very thorough on our cleaning. We serve a very extensive breakfast and fruit is always on the plate along with muffins and other excellent dishes such as omelettes, quiche etc.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

The Old Square Inn is the perfect place to stay when visiting Mount Joy. Its right on Main Street within walking distance to various shops, pubs and cafes. We went to spend Halloween at the haunted Bube's Brewery! The innkeeper, Geogie, is very friendly and personable. Our room was absolutely clean and cozy due to so many personal touches, which is what's needed in late October. Breakfast was excellent and included a fresh from the oven muffin! In the end we didn't see any ghosts but plenty of spirits! Thanks Georgie!

• Stayed October 2012
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Thank you most kindly for your review and the compliments. Our goal is to give our guests an excellent time away and a delicious breakfast. This guests was also gracious enough to constructively give me some tips on a few helps for the guest. Innkeepers always appreciate constructive input. It is you our guest who contribute a large part to making us successful and getting us out into the forefront. We listen and we make the changes that you requested because it only improves our inn and your stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Joy
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 7 in Manheim
EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Olde Square Inn? Share your experiences!