“Okay”

Ranked #34 of 46 Restaurants in Mount Joy
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The food was just okay. The service was excellent. Dining room was pleasant and inviting; nice fireplace!

1  Thank Eileen H

Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I went there a number of years ago and it was a scary experience. I knew the Trough had new owners but we hadn't been back, despite being locals. After not being served due to overcrowding at another establishment, the couple we were with suggested the Trough. This was a perfectly good dining experience. The only negative was a burger ordered medium rare came out at least medium well if not well done. That was rectified. Other meals were delivered as promised, were very tasty, and the quantity of food was way beyond what we could eat. My wife and I took home food enough for at least one, if not two, more meals. Good service, good décor, good lively atmosphere.

1  Thank Rich O
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I was not expecting much as my wife was out of town so my daughter and I wanted to grab a decent meal, nothing fancy. We live a few miles away so it was a last minute decision to go to a local place for dinner in a location we had never tried yet. There were only 2 other tables and 2 solos eating at the time so we were very surprised at how long it took to be waited on and how long it took to get our food out to us. This probably explains why the Mashed Potatoes were less than warm as well as the Meatloaf.

The food was bland and because the waitress/Bartender never returned to ask us how the food was my daughter and I both left over half of our dinners on the plate with a note on the bill that I got after flagging her down as she was chatting and giggling away at the bar. No point at saying anything then as she never asked us how it was when she brought us the bill.

I generally lean towards over tipping but this was the first time I left hardly anything and wrote a note on the bill to explain why. This place is not worth getting upset over because it is a 2 star place so you get 2 star service I suppose. Just disappointed that I did not even receive 2 star service and I always expect the food to at least be warm and edible. For that reason i would never return or reccommend this restaraunt to anyone. I am sure it isn't like this every time but I review based on my experience and that was my experience.

2  Thank Patsfan1999
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I found The Watering Trough by searching it out on Trip Advisor. As usual, there are the complainers and fault finders. Ignore them. The place is GREAT ! Terrific atmosphere, and superb food. Spotlessly clean. Waitress was fun and friendly.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I went here due to them running a promotion. I got the jerk chicken sandwich and it was delicious. My wife had us trade halves of sandwiches and her chicken cheesesteak was not the best. It was made of overdone ground chicken (who uses ground chicken) with little else. The entrees looked to expensive for an experimental bar dining experience. So I guess this place is hit or miss.