“Horrible Place to Stay”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Mount Pocono
Cleveland, Ohio
“Horrible Place to Stay”
Reviewed 6 October 2008

This hotel was the pitts. Upon arrival we were unable to use our keycard to enter the side entrance which was right near our room and when we attempted to let the front desk know-no one was available to help us. As half of the party stay behind to wait with the luggage on the cracked and disrupted sidewalk, the others entered through the main entrance to access the side doors to admit those waiting outside.

Once we entered our room, it wreaked as if someone had left a dirty dish rag underneath the bed as it omitted a horribly foul smell. We all turned to each other with scoul looks on our faces as if one of the children let out an innocent toot.

Once we lay our luggage down, we immediately scanned the bed for creepy crawlies and proceeded to get the kids' swimsuits on so they could go for a swim. I must admit the pool area was nice, as well as the hot tub right next to it. They also had wireless internet acess so I was able to get some work done while watching the kids in the pool. That was a definitely bonus and why we chose this hotel.

It wasn't until the children were finished swimming that I entered the room to find that one of the kids noticed mold spores floating in the coffee pot that looked as if it hadn't been washed in months. My friend immediately took it to the front desk and asked for a new one where she was then given a box containing a brand new pot. Needless to say-we did not make coffee the next morning.

As we went to bed, I couldn't help but feel willies the entire night as the sheets were rough and the bed hard and the smell was intoxicating. I couldn't wait to be gone in the morning as we only stayed here as a layover on our road trip to New York.

Once we packed up and proceeded down the hall my friend took the credit card and room keys and told the kids and I to head to the car, she was going to take care of the bill. I sat in the car playing with the GPS as 10 minutes had gone by with no sign of my friend exiting from the front entrance of the hotel. She then called me to tell me that she had been ringing the bell for service and no one had come to check her out. She then had to call the front desk using the number she found on the brochure sitting on the front counter. As the woman approached the desk she appologized by stating that all of her cleaning staff called off that day and she was short handed.

As my friend stood there not caring about the staff shortage, she began to tell the front desk clerk about the smell in the room, and the coffee pot the kids found. She then wiped our bill clean and we did not pay for the room.

Now I know why my friend sent us to the car while she waited to check out. The only good thing about the stay was that they asked no questions after the room complaint and they did not charge us for the stay.

• Liked — Pool and free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah-N-Woodward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
PA
Reviewed 10 August 2008

The hotel presented a shabby appearance, with weeds overgrowing the flowerbeds, cracked asphalt, and a generally untidy look. There was actual dirt on one of the stairways, as if soil had been spilled, and it wasn't cleaned during our stay. Another stairway had a sloppy paint job, red paint smeared on the yellow wall. The hallway carpets weren't clean and nice. The beds seemed smaller than the usual double, the pillows were skimpy, and there weren't enough towels. The breakfast set-up was untidy and there was a big pan of boiled, peeled eggs with no cover on them. The rug in our room was peeling away from the wall. The room was supposed to be non-smoking but obviously previous visitors smoked because the odor was still evident. There were signs in the halls stating that the place was undergoing renovations but I never saw workers, and many of the issues seemed to require only routine cleaning and maintenance.
I'd only stay there again if nothing else was available.

• Disliked — The general sloppy, uncared-for appearance.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank lilithanne

Travellers are raving about these Mount Pocono hotels

tobyhanna,pa
Reviewed 5 November 2007

I loved this place it is verry nice but when i stayed the smoke alarm was broke ane the phone was broke. the walls were peeling so i had to switch to a different room. i liked the pool. the sauna was broke.it should of stayed the hollday in express when i walked in i thought it would be better but the pleace is kinda raddy. when you walk down the hallway there is cameras everywhere it is creepy. but i had fun. i would recomend this to some people that are going to move up here and stay in the hotel for a day or so.but overall it is a nice place.

• Liked — the pool and the room
  • Disliked — the broke smoke alarm
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank gamerpro33
new york city
Reviewed 4 September 2007

This is a rundown looking former Holiday Inn Express that need a lot of dollars invested to make it up to Holiday Inn Express standards. That is to say – it’s pretty bad. I stayed with my wife and two kids for two nights on a trip to Camelbeach. The location is great – close to just about everything. From the outside it looks like a flea-bag but the inside is not as bad. Our room was clean and had a king bed and a bunk bed in an alcove for the kids. The bunk bed had a big crack in the wood and needed to be replaced. There are cameras in the hallways but the outside rear door didn’t lock. Overall the place gave me a creepy feeling of being unsafe. I imagine there’s a good bit of crime going on there. Leaving my car in the back parking lot also gave me a bad feeling. Next time we go out there we’ll try someplace else

• Stayed August 2007
4 Thank redfarb
Ewing NJ
Reviewed 15 August 2007

First , this hotel is no longer a Holiday Inn Express, it is now know as the Inn at Mt Pocono. They have covered over the signs, but the HI Express welcome mat remains. When we arrived it was hard to see the tarps covering over the signs through the overgrown weeds out front.

Our room had not been cleaned, the shower curtain was moldy and falling down, the wall paper is peeling everwhere, we would not dare to use the pool, or eat from the free breakfast. The exterior door to the hallway would not lock. There was a sign posted on rm 101 about the police watching with cameras, who know what happened!!

This hotel is in a questionable area and shares a parking lot with another scary looking perhaps hourly motel.

I not know why this place is no longer part of the Holiday Inn family.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Bryan A
NY
Reviewed 9 May 2007

So I had to go to the poconos and i decided to use this website to see where to stay, and to be honest the reviews this hotel got were pretty bad, and wouldn't you know it, that was the ONLY hotel that was available for my dates! BLOODY HELL! I was thinking that i might have to bring my own sleeping bag! Boy was I SUPRISED... while this is definilty not a 5* hotel, its not that bad either guys... I was a little shell shocked initially, but i was checked in by a courteous front desk lady, who was kind enough to tell me nearby places to eat, and when i got to my room, it was clean! but not just clean, i mean it was smelling clean, and the room was bright, and seemed in great condition. I travel a lot, and its important to me that the room be clean, bright, and inviting, this hotel room was! So curious, i asked the front desk person the next morning about the hotel, and they told me that there was new management there, and they were "cleaning house" as it were... Like i said its not a 5* luxury place yet, but I think that they are trying to turn the place around...for the better! The next day i met the manager at breakfast (nice touch) and he was selling the property hard core, i mean very pleasant fellow, and very knowledgable and helpful, but he was discussing how they were planning on renovating and changing the whole look of the property! Oh and it has 70 something rooms...
So my final judgement, try it out, its a good room, at a decent price, and they are turning it around, so you maybe able to catch a good deal!

-Archametis

• Stayed April 2007
1 Thank Archametis
maryland
Reviewed 16 September 2006

Stayed 2 nights over labor day weekend. They didn't clean our room after the 1st night stay- the housekeeping crew left us 2 clean towels and no wash cloths. The continental breakfast was average. Hotel Desk clerk was below average. I have had a better room and service at motels at half the price.

• Liked — better than spending a night in my car
  • Disliked — no one cleaned our room
  • Tips/Secrets — seriously consider going some where else
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Hotel M, Mount Pocono? Share your experiences!