“Do not stay in room 187”

Travelodge Mt. Pocono
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Mount Pocono
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I had a reservation at this hotel for 2 nights. When I checked in on Saturday, August 2, the first room I was given (#171) had not been cleaned from the previous occupants (beds unmade and dirty towels lying on the floor). Since this was a race weekend at Pocono Raceway, I was afraid to return to the front desk as there would probably be no other rooms available and I would have to wait a couple hours for room #171 to be cleaned. But there was another room available, room #187. When we went to the room, our first impression was that it smelled like smoke, even though this was a nonsmoking room; the automated air freshener dampened the smell, but you could definitely feel it in your lungs. Because we were only sleeping here to attend the race the next day, and since it was 4pm and we had just traveled 6 hours to get here, we dropped off our luggage and went to dinner and were willing to put up with the smoke smell (we do it at our in-laws but prefer not to). Leaving the window open to allow fresh air in seemed to help with the smoke smell.

Upon returning to our room at 9pm, we had to park in a Reserved parking spot (presumably for hotel staff) because all the spots close to our room were full or two spots were taken up by one car. We decided to call the front desk to ask if it was okay to stay in the Reserved spot, but to our surprise the room did not have a phone in it (but it did have a phonebook!). This is definitely a safety issue because in the case of an emergency, we could not call 911 or the front desk for anything. My wife walked to the front desk to inquire about the phone and the parking spot. She returned after a few minutes and said no one is at the front desk, and she hit the little ringer a dozen times. I decided to go to the front desk. Front desk door was open, lights were dimmed, and sure enough, no one there at 9:30pm. I hit the ringer a few times, then I grabbed the general manager's business card sitting there and called his number. Of course, no response. About that time, a gentleman walking by waved me over and asked what the problem was. After identifying himself as a maintenance person who lives at the hotel, I first told him about arriving and room #171 not being cleaned. Right away he knew who I was, so I told him about there not being a phone in room #187. He gave an excuse about people stealing the phones, and that he would find me one. I also asked about the parking spot, and he said he would have the person who double parked move their car.

While waiting on a phone to arrive, and thinking that all our problems were taken care of, my wife decided to take a shower. After a couple minutes, no hot water; 5 minutes, no hot water; 10 minutes, no hot water...not even warm. At this point, my wife says we are not staying for the second night. At about 10:30pm, still no phone. We actually called the local police department to ensure our cell phones would be able to reach someone in case of an emergency as cell phones showed we were roaming at the hotel location.

So time to go to bed, but wait, what time is it? Room did not have an alarm clock or regular clock for that matter. Also, our reservation said rooms came equipped with coffee maker and hair dryer, of which neither was in the room. One more thing, went to turn down AC before going to bed, but it was a wall unit mounted high near the ceiling, so had to use a chair to reach the controls which were on the top of the AC unit. Other issues with room #187: bathroom sink faucet loose, tile floor in bathroom loose in spots and deteriorated in others, shower curtain appeared to have not been cleaned in a while, bec sheets full of stains (although they smelled cleaned so I'm assuming they were at least washed), seems like almost every square foot of walls had nicks, scratches, or dirt marks on them, wall mounted lamp was so close to wall that a larger lamp shade had been poorly cut to fit over light bulb, peep hole on door was painted over, and the large curtain covering the floor-to-ceiling window near the door had a huge cut in it resulting in a hole that anyone walking by could look through.

Before leaving the next morning, went to get some ice from the ice machine, and I should have known better, but the ice machine was broken. I checked out of hotel at 8:30am, and informed the front desk receptionist that we would not be staying the second night and wanted that night credited back to my card. I was guaranteed that I would not be billed for a night I did not stay, which was the only good news out of our stay. But almost a week later, no refund yet...

For nearly $100 per night, this was a joke of a hotel room. We made a reservation at a different hotel for Sunday night about 20 miles away, and for only $80 per night, it was 10 times better (cleaner, more amenities, etc.).

If you book at this hotel, and they want to put you in room #187, do not do it! If anyone needs proof, my wife and I were smart enough to take some video and photos of the room.

Room Tip: Do not accept room #187
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Cliff W

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The good:
- We had a good night's sleep on a bed that was comfortable, and appeared to be clean (we checked).
- Ample parking, well-lit lot
- Nice little patio area with tables and chairs that we saw a lot of people using while members of their familiar played various games on the front lawn
- Fridge and microwave in the room
- Free wifi
- The walls didn't seem overly thin. Despite the place being fully booked, we didn't hear much noise.
- Good proximity to local restaurants and attractions; easy to find

The bad:
- the room smelled really musty, so we literally kept the door open for a good two hours just to air it out, and sprayed febreeze in front of the AC to circulate fresher smelling air
- the toilet was clogged when we got there and even after they fixed the clog, it took forever to flush. It was annoying to have to stand there and hold the lever down.
- Peeling wallpaper (which should be easy enough to fix! Don't they realize that fixing easy, little things like that will really spruce the place up?)
- The pool wasn't open and looked like it hadn't been used in quite some time
- NO ICE, NO ICE, NO ICE (went back and tried repeatedly)
- I saw a (dead) potato bug the morning we were leaving... didn't see any evidence of other bugs in the room
- cracked plug for the hairdryer - fire hazard?
- Dresser drawer missing one of the two handles (not that we used it.. but again, easy to fix)
- Old fashioned non-flat tvs give the place an air of not having been updated in quite sometime

Good location, the price was right, and it was in decent proximity to the Pocono Raceway.
Overall, it was clean and comfortable enough for us to be willing to stay there again, but only after price shopping other nearby options for something better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We recently booked here for two nights during the NASCAR race weekend. Due to a mix up in our reservation we had with another place - we stayed here as every other motel in the area was booked. The bad reviews had me really worried - but it really was a nice comfortable two night stay. The room was clean, no bugs, no musty odor and no noise outside as stated in previous reviews. A few cons: The pool is closed and would have been a welcome amenity, there was no coffee maker or hair dryer in the room as stated on the confirmation and not enough towels or soap and no extras available in the office, and no housekeeping service on day two. Also - the address is wrong on tge GPS and brought us in the other direction, but after we turned around we were able to find it. Pros: Clean room, very nice staff, coffee and pastries available in the morning, and microwave and fridge in the room, with many stores nearby. I would return here - but next time we will bring our own toiletries and hair dryer as not to have to make a Walmart trip. The bed was comfortable and the linens were clean and area was quiet. All in all - a pretty good deal for the price - it's a low budget motel.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Uptownie44
Reviewed 17 March 2014

First off all I have to say is I had an amazing stay from the friendly staff and top notch service that I received. This property has came a long way in the past few months there have been several improvements I highly recommend this place especial if your looking for a reasonably priced place that is across from the Mt Airy Lodge Casino and near by ski resorts and tons of shopping locations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank keith M
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed Valentine weekend, even with a snow storm on saturday I have to say that this stay was very comfortable and the service was phenomenal. Ice machine didnt work guy in the front got ice and brought it to our room. The state of our room was also great, between the cleanliness of the room and the quality service we received I would definetly stay again and recommend to anyone for a quick getaway.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 19 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked this room through a search using the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts search engine, I would have thought that a large company like club Wyndham, would hold some sort of standards in regards to who uses their name but, unfortunately, I found out differently. The hotel was in shambles (exterior lighting out, the outdoor pool that they advertised, looked like it hadn't been open in a couple of years (it was still covered when I visited, and my trip was in August!), the rooms were dingy and dirty (in fact, I even went to the local store to try to purchase some bed bug spray and Fe-breeze!). They advertise that they are pet friendly on their website but when you get their, they are not....overall, the place looked to be "falling apart" and in need of some serious TLC. I had a creepy guy in the room next to me who kept "peaking" through the cracked door every-time I entered or exited my room, he looked like he may be a "permanent guest" at this hotel judging by his patio furniture setup in the front of his room and the lack their of for all of the other rooms.

The only thing I can say positive about this place, was that the girl at the front desk was very pleasant.

So, if you are only looking for nice, friendly staff when looking for a hotel, this may be the one, if you are looking for a somewhat clean and respectable establishment-steer clear of the Travelodge in Mount Pocono!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
2  Thank Addy W
travelodgemountpocon, Webmaster at Travelodge Mt. Pocono, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Travelodge Mount Pocono for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was informed to update the information on the website. They were instructed to inform all our valued guests about the non-functionality of the Amenities.

• Management was approached about security measures being taken that would make our valued guests feel more comfortable.

• The girls working at the front desk were informed of your comments about them and received our commendation.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Travelodge Mount Pocono. I think you will be greatly pleased. We shall look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.

Best Western Plus Poconos Hotel
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Travelodge Mt. Pocono? Share your experiences!