“Significant Improvement Over Last Visit”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Mount Pocono
Reviewed 16 August 2010

This was our second visit to the Comfort Inn in Mt. Pocono, PA (see my August 2009 review at http://fwd4.me/MFt), under almost identical circumstances. Despite being rated a "best value" in Mt. Pocono, we were wary from our middling experience last year, which was below expectations. Perhaps because we didn't expect as much, we were pleasantly surprised at some of the improvements.

On the plus side, check-in was very smooth and friendly, conducted by the hotel's GM, Anthony. the breakfast area was more spacious and the staff seemed to be on top of keeping the food stocked even during the busy Sunday buffet breakfast time. The food itself was typical quality for a "value" hotel. The staff member keeping everything stocked, however, had one arm in a sling and did an incredible job under the circumstances. The indoor pool area was empty when we arrived, and was neat and orderly. Fortunately, we obtained the last clean towels on the rack, and in the 30 minutes or so we were there, no one replenished the towels. Our room was neat and clean, with the sole exception of deep stains on the desk chair. More importantly, it was clean and the mustiness I associate with similar motels during the muggy summer months was not present, and the mattress was quite comfortable.

On the downside, the TV and remote, unlike our last visit, worked reasonably well, except that none of the local stations and network affiliates--all at the lower end of the "dial"--came in clearly. When we pressed the "wake-up call" button to schedule our AM wakeup call, no one answered after five minutes and several attempts. A call to the front desk, however, was answered almost immediately and the night manager was able to schedule the call quickly.

We planned to eat cheaply for dinner and had seen a Perkins about half-mile up the road, but were hoping to find something reasonably close with a bit more local flavor. The front desk, however, only had two local menus--both for delivery--and the clerk was busy with other guests, so just a little disappointed, we hit the local Perkins anyway.

Though known as a resort area with some high priced resort hotels not far from Mt. Pocono, the immediate area seems to reflect the increased economic stratification in the US that has developed since the turn of the century. A few high-priced resorts and more than a few budget hotels--not much in the middle. Given the average ratings for the Comfort Inn, the below average ratings for most of the competition, and my experience on two occasions, the Comfort Inn may indeed be the best deal for money in the Mt. Pocono area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrBB
gmpa310, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule for your review. Im glad to hear that you were pleased with our improvements. And thank you for nice works for our breakfast person Susan, yes even with her arm in a sling she still insisted to come to work, I am very pleased to have her on The Comfort Inn & Suites Team. I have to apologize for some of your tv stations not coming in clear, it is sorry to say and im not pointing the finger but sometimes that has to do with our cable company here in the poconos.I am pleased that you returned to our hotel again, and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

Our hotel stay was from May 22nd – May 24th 2010. Although this was not the worst stay we’ve had at a hotel, it was far from the best. Our check-in was fine, as we received the key cards for the two adjoining rooms we had reserved for myself, my wife, along with our children.

Our initial dissatisfaction was noticed in the kids room (Rm 324) when my daughter went into the bathroom and noticed a dirty towel on the floor (presumably left when the maid last cleaned the room). Definitely not sanitary, lack of attention to detail and not the type of thing you want to see in a bathroom you are attempting to use for the first time. My wife and I chalked this up to a “one-off” oversight and chose not to report this to you at the time.

Our second dissatisfaction occurred when my son went to take a shower later in the evening. He called me over to explain to him how to turn the shower on. After several minutes of trying to figure this out myself, I realized that although there was a shower head, the faucet for the bathtub was not equipped with a shower lever to allow the water to flow out of the shower head. Once again, we did not see this as “show-stopper” as the tub was functional for a bath; however I was setback by the fact by the fact that the room was equipped for someone to take a shower, yet the shower did not work. Also, we were not informed of this “small detail” by the front desk attendant when we checked in. Nevertheless, it was rather late, and for the second time we chose not to contact the front desk as we did not want to move into two new rooms (in order to keep the rooms adjoining).

The third point of dissatisfaction occurred when my daughter attempted to use the iron and ironing board to press her clothes; “Ironing Board available, but No Iron”. Again, not a big deal by itself, but now the little things are staring to add up. As the rooms were adjoining, we were able to share the iron my wife and I had in our room (Rm 322). We were now really getting the feeling there is some lack of attention to how things are done at this hotel. Realizing we could have just as easily called down to the front desk for a second iron, we did not report this incident; but now we were getting the feeling this was not the best choice of accommodations for our weekend stay because there really should have been an iron in the room to go along with the ironing board.

The fourth point of dissatisfaction came when we returned to the hotel on Sunday, 23 May and my wife was feeling a lot of discomfort due to an upset stomach. We thought some ginger ale would be helpful and hoped to find some in the soda machine at the hotel. As we walked in, there was no one to ask at the front desk, however we did see a guy doing something in the breakfast food area, near the station where the coffee is located. My wife went to ask him if he knew where the closet soda machine was and began her question by asking if he worked here. The guy replied in a rude fashion “There should be a lady at the front desk!” He didn’t even know what we wanted to ask!! Whether he was a hotel employee or someone contracted to do work there, his attitude definitely reflected poorly on your establishment.

As we were contemplating the rudeness of the guy we attempted to talk too, the fifth point of dissatisfaction came when we returned to our room and discovered neither of the two our key cards for our room (Rm 322) worked; apparently they were both deactivated for some unknown reason. As my wife waited impatiently I went back to the front desk. They desk attendant was not rude, however he certainly was not apologetic for the inconvenience of both key cards not working

Our sixth and last point of dissatisfaction came when we did finally get back into our room only to discover that once again dirty towels were left on the bathroom floor, this time in our room. Not just one towel, but the entire stack we left there earlier to be taken up! This was the final straw and we decided this is definitely not a place we would wish to stay at again, nor a location we would refer any of our friends or relatives stay at as well. My parents actually live in Mt Pocono and they thought this was preferable to the Ramada Inn or other hotels in the area; however we’ve informed them it is not.

Unfortunately this occurred over the weekend and perhaps you have a different group of people working during the weekend who may not be your top notch employees. Nonetheless, customers expect the following basic services when they pay for a room or in my case two rooms: 1) Cleanliness; 2) Common Courtesy; 3) Properly Furnished Accommodations. This inn was severely lacking in all these areas and I doubt we would return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank GG718
gmpa310, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2010

I do apologize for the things you found wrong with our hotel. I will make sure that these items are corrected. We inspect rooms on a daily basis, and I dont know how all of these items were overloooked. We do hope you return so we can show you that this is not how our hotel is run. And I am sure on your next trip you will have a great stay with us as many of our guest do, as well as all of the great reviews we get on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 7 July 2010

We just returned from a two-night stay at the Comfort Inn on Route 940. We traveled there with our two teenagers, my sister, brother in law and their two grandchildren who are also teenagers. You can easily drive past this hotel as it sits next to an abandoned motel who's sign is more clearly visible from the road than the Comfort Inn's sign! Upon check-in, we were greeted by Tony at the front desk. He was a very pleasant man and you could immediately see that he had our best interests at heart. We were allowed to check in early and went up to see our room. Two queen beds, 2 televisions (one only worked in black and white), typical hotel bathroom (no ventilation, keep the door open during your shower), plenty of hot water and towels, everything seemed neat and clean. A/C was NOT very powerful. In all fairness, there was a heatwave during our stay so I dont know how it worked during a regular temperature day. My sister had booked the room next to ours. Upon entering her room, there was a terrible smell of mold and mildew. We dont know what was causing this smell and immediately went back downstairs to the front desk. Nick assured my sister she would be moved, picked a room out for her on the third floor, went up and checked the room out with her, then helped her move her stuff. Their goal was to make you happy and in this case, they succeeded. The hotel lobby is a beautiful room with couches, chairs and tables. There is a huge stone fireplace and I wondered if it was ever lit during the winter months. There is a mini-breakfast served from 6 am to 10 am in an area off the lobby. You will find coffee and tea (24 hours), juices, make your own waffles, bagels, mini muffins, bacon and eggs, oatmeal packets or cold cereal. There is enough to eat to hold you over till lunchtime, if you get there early. The woman in charge of keeping that area in check was so wonderful and accomodating. She made sure you had everything you needed. Although, this morning when I went down for breakfast, things were very sparse and it was still early. Not many bagels, only Cheerios, no cold water, no hot water for tea, etc. I asked the woman in charge what happened since the morning before food had been plentiful. She replied that the night person is responsible for making sure there is enough food did not do their job and she had to scrounge up whatever she could find to put out this morning when she came in. That really was not nice. It put her on the spot and it really was not her fault. Oh well, we checked out the pool, it was clean but the water was ICY.....so was the "hot" tub. Nick came in and turned up the heater, the hot tub became lukewarm and the pool was still cold enough to float ice cubes on top...dont know what happened there....Housekeeping was very good, all employees polite and accomodating. We bought our Camelbeach tickets at the desk. That worked out okay. There is free internet access in the lobby. Check out was simple, with no wait involved.This place could be a GREAT hotel, if someone put a little more time and effort into it. Its location is excellent, near plenty of stores, attractions and restaurants. Thanks Tony and staff for a very nice stay!.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ellieandring01
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I've stayed at this Comfort Inn in Mt Pocono on several occasions. It has always been clean, well maintained and with the right combination of amenities. I consider the this hotel a great value. However I was blown away with the service. My car broke down, and my stay was extended for an unplanned 2 extra nights. The short version is, I was treated like family and the staff went out of their way to help. And without my asking for help. They just did it. Thank you again Anthony et all, you have a customer for life. cheers

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank yellowlambo
gmpa310, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2010

Thank you for taking time out to write a great response for our hotel. We try to make all of guests feel like family. I hope next time you visit us is other than car trouble, I'm sure you will find your stay much more relaxing. I hope you and your family made it home safe & sound. And we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites. We were primarily in the area to go to the NASCAR race at the Pocono Raceway. We were looking for a hotel that would be clean, comfortable and close to the places we would be visiting. And we were not disappointed. The raceway is only about 20 minutes away and if you are looking for casino action, then the Mt. Airy Resort is less than 10 minutes. The staff was polite and helpful in all of our interactions. And the continental breakfast each morning was just great. We definitely would stay here again on a future trip to the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie49
gmpa310, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2010

Thank You so much for your great review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and our breakfast, and I am also happy to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful to you. We hope to see you back again real soon. Once again thank you for taking the time out to write a great review on our hotel.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

This hotel was fantastic from the get go !! We were met by friendly staff and a beautiful lobby area upon arrival. We were close to all the area attractions that we planned on visiting and navigation was simple. Anthony helped us out with some directions on a couple of occasions as well as with some great places to dine. The only down side was that the spacious king-size bed was a bit harder than ours at home and the air conditioner not quite as cold as we like and have at home.... Guess what - we weren't at home and we weren't about to complain about it. Morning breakfast was far better than I have seen in some places (offering scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast and hot waffles as well as the usual coffee/toast/bagel/cereals). We would definitely stay here again and recommend to our friends as well.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stormy61
gmpa310, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2010

I would like to thank you for your great review. I'm glad you enjoyed our hot breakfast, and I'm glad you found our staff friendly and you found our hotel clean. We look forward to having you and your family back with us soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2010

I just returned from The Comfort Inn & Suites after spending the weekend in the Poconos. My Husband & I went and met up with another couple for the weekend.
The Hotel is very nice, beautiful lobby with fireplace and nice sitting area. They have a pool and little workout area - both are nice although we didn't use them.
The hotel offers a phenominal continental breakfast in the morning - It's better than any other continental breakfast I've ever had.

Our room was very nice - modern and decorated nicely. Bedding was nice with comfortable pillows. The Bathroom doesn't have a fan in it so it steams up pretty badly and you have to wipe the mirror down if you want to do your hair & makeup.

Now for the bad. I had been on vacation in the Dominican Republic back in November and brought back two small bottles of a liquor that is known to the Dominican Island.
You can't buy it here!!!! I brought it to give to our friends on Saturday night and I had it in the refrigerator in the room - it should have been safe & sound there but someone with sticky fingers stole one of the bottles. Needless to say I wasn't able to give our friends the gift. I called down to the front desk on Saturday night and told them and the clerk said he'd pass it along to the Manager of the housekeeping staff as it's obvious it had to be one of them. I NEVER heard back. I mentioned it again at Check out on Sunday morning and was told that it was passed along and someone would get back to me. I called there today (Tuesday) and spoke to someone about it again as I am really upset that someone had that much nerve to take something that wasn't there!!!! No one has called me back and it's beginning to look like they really don't care that someone who works at their hotel stole from a guest.
So beware - make sure you lock everything up and if it's something "special" that you're keeping in your fridge - lock that up too if you don't want someone with sticky fingers to steal it.

I loved the hotel and the locations but am upset that someone stole from me and it wasn't addressed by the hotel staff.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teenieone
gmpa310, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2010

Please be aware that we are looking into this. I will be asking my housekeeper that cleaned your room that day. This has never happened before. We have had guests that left diamond rings Rolex watches, diamond earings, and my housekeepers always gave me back the items they found and we have returned them to their owners. Again I will be looking into this and you will hear back from me. I am sorry for this bad situation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Pocono
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!