Churchtown Inn Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Narvon
See available hotels
The Waynebrook Inn(Honey Brook)
Good 3.5/5
Old Summer House(East Earl)
Excellent 5/5
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
Hollander Motel(New Holland)
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
Average 3/5
All reviewsb bcovered bridgemurder mysterymade us feellancaster arealiving roombreakfasts were wonderfulcomfortable roomsgracious hostslook forward to going backamish familieshome away from homea real treatcrepesamish weddingwonderful weekendchris
FilterAll languages
Ipswich, UK
Reviewed 20 November 2005

I also stayed in the Davey room, thought it was very claustrophic; thought the owners were off standish and too business like and not that "all american friendly" that we hear so much about. It's unhygenic to have public cookie jars, much better to provide a little sample in each guest's room. I thought breakfast at 9am is a bit too early for when on holiday - 10am is much better, I get up early enough as it for work back home; so I like a lie in. No tag for bedroom door requesting privacy. I wouldn't go back either and I can see where the Irish couple are coming from; this place is alright if you're americans but if you're from the UK or Ireland; it's not for you. The Amish store provided the friendliness though. Just for the record the room was too cold to remove the quilt, so I kept it on!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vieques, PR
Reviewed 18 November 2005

We returned to Churchtown Inn this past fall and have to say that things are as marvelous as always. This is our third visit in five years and it's starting to feel like our only home in Lancaster County! We just don't know what that previous writer from Ireland was talking about. Each time we visit, breakfast has always been at 9:00 and it's a fun, social breakfast where we always meet other local travelers and the food is inventive, plentiful and elegantly served. Chris and Jim are the new owners and we found them to be helpful and really easy going. The Inn is still beautifully decorated and clean as a whistle...if you're lucky, you'll get to meet some of the terrific and always friendly Amish and Mennonite staff that work there. Be sure to take a look at the Amish quilts on the beds in every room - they are works of art and they are all different and compliment the way the room is designed. We have never had any problem removing the quilts before sleeping - if you know anything about the value of authentic Amish quilts then you understand the need to preserve them. As always dinner in an Amish home was the real highlight - getting to talk to the children and see how these unique people live in our modern society is always an eye-opener.

We stayed in the Jacobs room and thought is was a bargain ($110 a night) for all that's included - big breakfasts, cookies all day, candy bars and apple cider. We also spent time sitting in the garden, drinking in the gorgeous view. Chris says she has BIG plans for the garden so we hope to get back again in a year or two and see what she's done. This is truly one of the grandest B&B's in Lancaster County - part of the stone building dates from 1735 and it always feels like an honor to stay in such a marvelous piece of American history.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ireland
Reviewed 31 October 2005

The visit to The Churchtown Inn which was located in the heart of the Amish county was to be one of the highlights of our holiday to Pennsylvania, sadly we ran out of there. We arrived to find ourselves outside with the owner Chris inside hearing our rapping but not responding. We knocked again and still nothing. We thought a sign with "Come on in, we're open!", or "Reception", and we would have had the sense to know the door was open, but we are respectful people of other's privacy and knocked at the door and waited for the owner. Coming up the steps towards us was another man carrying grocery bags and I assumed that he was a guest out shopping and returning to relax for the evening; this was Jim, as we'd later find out and it would have been nice to say "hi, new arrivals, just push the door in", but to us, he could have been anybody. The ignorance was uncalled for. We went inside and I called out "You must be Chris, hi" and walked into her, and I was basically shooed out of her "kitchen", which I thought was reception area - but then again, with no signs anywhere and a well travelled person, I didn't know where I was in this house, but I did feel increasingly uncomfortable. Both my husband and I felt like we didn't really need a tour of the house, lovely and all as it was; we just wanted to retire for a few minutes after all that driving as it's hard to be walk around and feel sociable. We quickly learned that breakfast was at 9am sharp and tough luck if you couldn't make it! They told us that someone would ring a bell outside our bedroom at 8:30am to remind us to go to breakfast and that is what I felt most impersonal. We had arranged for dinner at an Amish house, but again, the lack of communication was evident. We were told to be downstairs in the hallway for 5:30pm sharp, no idea where we were going, or how we were going to get there. I don't have the capacity to walk long distances as I have multiple bone tumours in both legs and recently discovered a problem with my heart, so bearing that in mind, my stress levels rose completely. We went up to the David Jones room and I thought it was a wee bit small to be charged $95 but what the heck, we knew the price before hand and the room looked bigger on the photo. We learned that no beverages would be consummed in the room and the quilt had to be removed before retiring; I got to the point where I was wondering if I should use the towels provided. There were so many rules to remember and when I finally declared to my husband; I don't come on holiday to remember rules and when I came downstairs, I laid it on the line to be told that the rules didn't matter; that there were no rules that could'nt be adhered to. I have stayed in Castles all over the world and have been to the beautiful palace in Monaco and even there you could sit on one of the chairs in the Throne room - here, you couldn't do this and you can't do that.. Basically it was too much and we declared we were leaving the next morning. Out that door, I thought I'd never get and what a relief it was to visit the store not too far away where we encountered many Amish people who I finally was able to relax and be myself. All the reviews that have given for this Inn were for the previous owners - the new owners need to lighten up a little.. I wouldn't go back and wouldn't recommend it to international travellers - it's okay for people passing through one night but that's about it really....

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 13 August 2005

After three great nights in Manhatten, we were looking for a bit of country. After a rather disappointing trip to Gettysburg we planned a day in midland Pennsylvannia Dutch Country. What a great surprise greeted us at the Churchtown Inn, Diane, Michael & Porter were warm and welcoming hosts and the Davies Room was a relaxing retreat. A great touch was the information packet provided for each guest giving information about the surrounding area restaurants, shopping sites etc. We had a good time visiting a few local woodworking shops and spent a great time at Obie's Country Store, looking at quilts and talking to the owner. Our handmade quilt looks great and brings back good memories. Another do not miss is the Friday Green Dragon Flea Market, a great shopping experience, being from California, it reminded us of a Amish mercado. The Inn's breakfasts were delicioso, plentiful and serve beautifully in a great setting. One last treat was Diane's supurb recommendation and assistance in securing a reservation at the Green Hill Inn for dinner a definate "10". Bravo to both Diane & Michael we'll definately be back for an encore !!

• Stayed: August 2005
Reviewed 5 June 2005

My wife and I had 2 nights at the Churchtown Inn in May - and I can honestly say that I have never spent better nights at a hotel, motel or B&B than I did here.

Other people have mentioned the wonderful view, the excellent breakfasts (which incredibly seemed to leave me neither hungry for more, nor overfilled), and the cozy decor. All these were spot on. But two things stood out.

Firstly, the host was excellent (a gentleman with a Texan accent whose name eludes me - Michael and Diane were away). Quite often B&B hosts can go one of two ways: either a little distant; or else too familiar and intrusive. It's a fine line to walk, and our host did it impeccably and naturally: we felt we were visiting a member of the family, without being forced into conversations and social engagements we weren't comfortable with.

Secondly, the dinner that was arranged with an Amish family (Marlon and Barbie) was the highlight of our entire 4-week trip to the US. They were gracious hosts and, once again, we felt we were catching up with old friends who happened to be Amish rather than having an "genuine Amish experience".

I cannot praise the crew of the Churchtown Inn enough for the quality of their B&B.

• Stayed: May 2005