“Nice hotel with some Issues” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
New York City
“Nice hotel with some Issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked three rooms with two rooms with some issues. One room was fine. another had an issue with the door handle locking. The door handle when turned, did not turn back into its original posistion, leaving the door unlocked. Luckly I noticed that the door was still not locked when I left the first time since I tend to turn the door knob after leaving any hotel room to make sure the door is closed and locked. I didnt inform the hotel staff since I was staying just one night. The second issue was with another room. The platform supporting the mattresses simply broke while laying on bed and pulling the blankets up to make it looser as it was tucked into the mattress. After pulling on the sheets and blankets to loosing it up, the bed platform gave way and bed fell down. My wife called the front desk and the person came up and suggested that the kids broke the bed from jumping on it. That might be a possibility however, I brought them into the room and layed down for about 1/2 hour. When my wife came into room, in about ten minutes, the bed fell down. The staff informed my wife that he was alone and there are no available two bedroom rooms available. He also said the maintenace person was gone for the day and that the kids should sleep laying away from the bedboard since the bed was slanted in a 30 degree angle. I went down an spoke with the man again and was informed of the same info he told my wife. I told him that lets go back up to room and see if we can remove the bottom platform to atleast have the bed lay flat on the floor so you can sleep on it. So we did and lifted the mattress and the remaining part of the platform bed fell down and the mattress was laying flat on the floor. Not too helpful was the person. Who wants to sleep on a slanted mattress. Oh well, never again. The pool was a nice touch however, water was cold.

Room Tip: dont get room 605(door handle issue unless fixed.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the issues you had with your bed and the way it was handled. I will personally work with the person who spoke to you and retrain them on the correct way to handle those types of situations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have used this property this past February to rave reviews from our group participants. As a tour operator, we move many people and rely heavily on the hotel properties to satisfy our guests. This particular tour package included food and beverage and many services from the on-site staff. I am happy to say that all three weekends were a complete success.

Many thanks to the current ownership and the new management that they brought with them. I will gladly be using this property again next season and recommend it to anyone/family looking for nice accommodations and a staff that cares.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom_elg
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
It was very nice of you to take the time to post such a glowing review here. We are always happy to help your group. See you next year!!!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Atmosphere looks like classic Irish pub, cuisine there is nice and with new ideas - vege salada I took was lightly smoked I had never experienced ,it was quite enjoyable, aged Gouda cheese covered with honey met red wine nicely. Friendly staffs. I recommend to enjoy food there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for posting such a great review about our on-site restaurant "The Garlic Poet". We are proud to have them as part of our Clarion family here in New Cumberland.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I was there with a group and spent 4 enjoyable days. I cannot say enough about how friendly and accommodating the staff was. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and it was awesome to step outside the door and experience a bit of the tropics in the beautiful atrium. My compliments to the chef! The food they served was outstanding, our group had several meals during the 4 days we were there. The variety was awesome and everything was fresh and delicious! Our event is held here bi-annually and I have attended for the past 5 years. I have noticed there have been many improvements and the staff always was making sure that our stay was satisfactory! Thanks to Deborah and her crew for a great get away!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank debbiea57
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
I am so happy that you have noticed the improvements we are working on. It is always a pleasure to host your group and we look forward to your return in October. Have a great summer.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our family decided to stay here on our way home because we didn't want to drive all night. check in was easy, and paula who checked us in was great. she gave us a room close to everything (insted of being at the end of the hall like we always seem to get) there was a giant atrium with an indoor pool, with an area set up for the free hot breakfast in the morning. the staff was very nice and wonderful, the restaurant attached to the hotel was busy, and i stopped in an got my husband and i a drink to wind down in our room with. the beds were good if you weren't sleeping with a three year old who sleeps sideways. overall we would stay there again. it was an older hotel, and she showed a little of her age, but still nice and clean.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so happy that you chose us and we are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It will be my pleasure to pass along your survey to Paula. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I checked in to the hotel at 4:30 pm. Check in with Paula was very pleasant and the smell of cookies added a little touch of comfort. When we walked into the room it appeared very clean and tidy. The light in the bathroom had a little flicker to it when we turned it on, almost like it needed to warm up for a bit. When Paula, the Guest Service Agent called us to see how we liked our room, we mentioned this to her. She ask if she could send an Engineer to look at it and we told her that we were just wanting to rest for a bit. She then offered to move us to a room next door . We thanked her for the offer, but said that it wasn't that much of a nuisance to us. As we were very tired, I was happy to see the black out curtains! We closed the curtains and took a much needed nap. We did not stir for the next 3 hours! We then went to dinner at the Garlic Poet. What a wonderful, culinary surprise! The restaurant is within the Hotel, which was quite convenient, because it was rather "wintery" out. As we walked to the restaurant, Paula greeted us again and ask us how we were enjoying the Hotel. She then ask if we would like them to fix the bathroom light while we had dinner. ( We were surprised that she remembered) We declined. Clean rooms, great restaurant on premise, beautiful atrium with indoor pool ! A wonderful experience and a good nights sleep! Only draw back was the hotel had some smoking rooms in the back corner.... but was glad to here that the General Manager is making the Hotel SMOKE FREE beginning in May!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for the problem with your light but it is always nice to hear when one of our staff goes "the extra mile" to try and make it right for you. I am glad the nuisance of the light did not prevent you from having a good stay with us. We hope you will choose us again the next time you are in the area.
Bloomfield, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Night desk clerk Rebecca was incredibly cheerful and helpful considering we arrived at 2 am. With our 7 children, and with last minute reservations!! Beds comfortable, rooms quiet. Pool was nice for kids, especially as it was close to breakfast area. Thanks again to Rebecca!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
It is so nice to hear that you had such a great stay with us. Becca is a part of our great desk team and I look forward to passing your review along to her.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
BEST WESTERN PLUS New Cumberland Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#2 of 14 in New Cumberland
Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisburg West
Quality Inn New Cumberland - Harrisburg South
Scottish Inns New Cumberland
Scottish Inns New Cumberland
#4 of 14 in New Cumberland

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!