“Perfect after a long day at Hershey Park”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Perfect after a long day at Hershey Park”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Unbelievably good value for the price. My husband and our kids, ages 7, 10 and 12 spent 11 hours at Hershey and were ready to drop! For the great discount price I got online (plus a nominal for a rollaway bed), we got a room with 2 queen beds and we didn't know it before, but breakfast was included! I've been to some hotels, using discounts, and the "included breakfast" was a battle zone with long lines, nowhere to sit, patrons elbow-to-elbow(or closer) in the buffet line - very stressful, but not here! The staff, from front desk, to housekeeping, to food service, was pleasant, gracious and helpful. Still amazed at the great value for the price.

Room Tip: If you're booking for 2 adults and 3 young children, as I was, and if having a lot of space is n...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Our Metro USA girls' AAU basketball teams travels to several different cities during the season to play in major tournaments. We reserved a block of 16 rooms at The Clarion Hotel on two separate occasions this summer and each stay there has been truly outstanding with regards to the clean accommodations, the many amenities (indoor pool, free breakfast, Wi-Fi, etc.) and most importantly, the high quality of customer service that has been provided for our group by Deb McClintock, who is the Hotel Room Sales Manager there.

Deb has taken customer service to a whole new level and her exceptional commitment to making sure that her guests are absolutely taken care of during their stay there is very refreshing to experience as travelers when you're away from the comforts of your own home. When you add in a very friendly front desk team that also goes out of its way to be helpful, this winning combination is why The Clarion Hotel has become our "home away from home" when we travel to compete in AAU basketball tournaments that are held in the Central PA area.

We've enjoyed our stays at The Clarion Hotel so much that our team be staying there for a third time this year in September for a Fall Basketball Tournament that will be held in nearby Manheim. We will also book our team at The Clarion Hotel again in 2015 for these same AAU tournaments. We've found a "gem" of place to stay in Central PA and The Clarion Hotel gets our vote every time!

Dan Slain
Head Coach
Metro USA Girls' AAU Basketball
Pittsburgh, PA

Room Tip: Rooms with King-size bed are spacious.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dan S
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was not my first trip to this hotel, and it won't be my last. It is a clean place to stay (which can be rare), and I've noticed the updates that they are starting to make to make my stay even better. It conveniently has places to eat nearby, and easy access to 83 which is a plus when seeing the sites that are nearby. They have a nice breakfast every morning located in the courtyard that is comfortable and not cramped like other places that I've been. Mostly though, I appreciate the friendly staff at this location. I've been to other hotels, and having a wonderful staff can make a world of difference to me. And it's what will bring me back to this location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
It was so nice to read how much your enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad to hear that you found many things to like about your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to your next visit with us.
washington dc
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our family had five rooms over a long weekend while we did Hershey and a number of other attractions in the area. The staff went out of their way to provide adjacent and connecting rooms so that our adult kids and their families had the optimal bedding situations. Rooms were nice, clean. Free buffet breakfast was a plus since it usually is not complimentary at other Clarion hotels. Grandkids loved it...and of course, the indoor pool! There's so much to do in the area, we are already discussing a return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Whatever your preference, just ask when you check in, or call the hotel in advance. The staff is ve...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
We were very pleased that you chose us to be your "home base" for your long family weekend. It is very nice to hear that you were pleased with our staff and with your accomodations. We hope you choose the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center again the next time you are in the area.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2014

If all you want is clean sheets and towels, then this is the place for your. Everything else needs help. The rooms need serious updating. There was water staining on the ceiling in the bathroom and the air conditioning was not functioning well and was very loud. The breakfast only has the basics. Some of the rooms overlook the indoor courtyard with no windows. Another positive about this hotel, though, is the staff. They were very friendly. Other than that, I would only stay at this hotel if I needed a quick stay while traveling on the Turnpike.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Not being familiar with what a Clarion is, I thought we'd try one out. We liked the idea of an on site restaurant and an indoor pool for our kids. Upon arrival the desk person looked up, smiled and welcomed us, which was nice and sadly, often this simple act doesn't happen at every hotel we visit. I will say that we now know what a Clarion is, at least this one, it is an old Holiday Inn, not a luxury or 5 star hotel, more like a really big Comfort Inn, with a lot more space and things to do. The hotel is old, you dont see places like this very often anymore, which is actually nice. The place needs some updating, espcially the bathrooms and hallways. The pool area is great! Warm, clean water, plenty of towels, nice "tropical" sitting area, also where the free brekafast is served. I see some negative comments about the place and I would have to say that what the place lacks in new modern updates, it MORE than makes up for with service and charm. I can't imagine ayone we encounterd during our 3 day visit not doing everything possible to make someone happy. I give this hotel 3 stars, it needs some TLC, I give the staff 5 Stars, they deserve some thank yous! Not easy, dealing with the public and they were ALL terrific! Breakfast was good, nothing to rave about, but it was hot, on time and free! I would absolutely reccomend this place to anyone with kids, but could also see if I were on business using the property, give them a try, they will take care of you and make sure you're happy!

Room Tip: Stay on the pool if you have kids that swim, if not, request to be away from the pool
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Upon check-in the staff did a double check to make sure the room was ready. My first stop in the room was the bathroom. Not clean! Let's just say that I had to clean the toilet!! Also, the hotel smells like water damage/mildew. Gonna be a long weekend! The lobby is nice but the rooms, not!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank NicMiller
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
Best Western Plus New Cumberland Inn & Suites
Quality Inn New Cumberland - Harrisburg South
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#1 of 14 in New Cumberland
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisburg South
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!