“Not the worst but not the greatest by far.”

New Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My sister and I stopped at this hotel on our way from Michigan to the Jersey Shore. I've always trusted Comfort Inn properties but was rather disappointed by this hotel. Another sister and her husband stayed here on their way home in January, so I knew the property was under renovation. When we arrived, the lobby was uncomfortably warm; the desk clerk said that there was no A/C in the lobby (I thought due to renovations but after reading other reviews, maybe not). The corridors leading to the rooms were also very hot. I was told the room was a newly renovated room and the decor was very nice. However they were apparently still using the same old mattresses, as they were obviously well worn and not very comfortable. The fridge in the room didn't appear to be working and when I checked, found that it wasn't plugged in properly. Someone had also left food in there, which housekeeping didn't bother to take out. Note to housekeeping: You may want to double check the fridge when cleaning the room.
I checked the bed for cleanliness and discovered that the blanket on one of the beds appeared to have some kind of little specks on it. I don't think they were bugs, but wasn't about to take any chances and requested a clean blanket, which was provided. Another note to housekeeping: Please wash the blankets and quilts from time to time.
The complimentary breakfast was fine, but once again, the lobby was warm and it was uncomfortable to sit there and eat. Note to owner: you may want to invest in some air conditioning for your lobby and guest room corridors. I've stayed in worse places, but I've also been in better Comfort Inns.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 June 2011

It was so very hot at 10:30pm when we checked in (June 2011). 88 degrees! The girl at the desk (who was nice) was embarrassed and apologized and said the owner wouldn't use AC. Our room was 80 degrees and took hours to get down to 76 degrees. We'd been driving all day, and it was too late and we were too tired to get another hotel, tho we should have. I've always enjoyed Comfort Inns in the past. What's with this owner where he's too cheap so we're very uncomfortable???

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I stayed at this property. I was in newly renovated room. What a excellent room. Management has done an excellent job in renovating this property. Nice decor, selection of granite, furniture, drapes, wall color, carpet everything flows into very well cordinated. Nice work...keep it up.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pmartinez6900
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel which is under renovation. Nice clean comfortable rooms with healthy breakfast. Front desk person toured me few renovated rooms...they are excellent. According to front desk person, they have changed everything in the room. It was looking great & I am sure after renovation, this will be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank slevongton
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Was there for on tuesday night in march. For two nights in the middle of a renovation there where pallets supported by romex wire and deck screws so you dident fall 2 stories. Ok this shouldn't reflect the room right? Well you wouldent think. The room looked like it hasn't been cleaned since it was built in the 70s there was so much film on the windows. You could barley see out if them. Bathroom was way worse. I really dident even want to take my shoes off. If I wasent with a group of people I would have left. That night. All the other people I was with had a similar experance. Stay away! the best western was cheaper had a gym indoor pool and the rooms where updated and clean. I am going to goto the doctors and check for bugs!!!

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Joefrompittsburgh
Reviewed 15 February 2011

very dirty room. we just went in to sleep and wake up. bad smell in bathroom. did not use the pool as it was small and right next to the car park. exhaust fumes etc. avearge breakfast. only good location for amish country. note. everything is closed on a sunday in amish country. i mean everything.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2010

My reservation was made by my colleagues. Arriving at the hotel, found out that hotel is under renovation....thought this might be a problem. At check in staff was great, informed about renovation and signs were posted all over. Room was clean and comfortable, slept well. Morning looked at the renovation, it looks this hotel is going through major renovation. I am at completion of renovation, this hotel will be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business