“Comfortable older hotel with a few issues”

La Quinta Inn & Suites New Cumberland - Harrisburg
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed at this Comfort Inn during a motorcycle trip from Florida to New England, and then Pittsburgh, PA. The hotel was a halfway stop, and with many of the hotels in the area being expensive, we used our Choice travel points for our stay. The hotel was older and worn out. The clerks did not appear happy to be there, and acted accordingly. The room had a hot tub, which we did not use. The TV was old, had 2 controllers and no sound. WiFi was intermittent. The buffet breakfast was the worst of the trip. The only plus , other than costing us nothing was easy access to the PA Turnpike to continue our trip. We ate dinner next door at Doc Holiday's Restaurant which was very good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Where do I begin.... when we first arrived at the hotel there was an awful smell in the hotel and the outdoor pool was green. We asked the girl at the front desk what the smell is and she advised it is the sewage system behind them. We got to our floor, smelled bad and many stains on the carpet. The room was small, but decent, some of the wall was not fully painted, and not the cleanest but much better than the entry and hall way. We were booked for three nights. We went out for supper and when we returned there was another group of people also complaining to the manager (also believed to be the owner) regarding the conditions. The people wanted their money refunded due to the conditions, but he was refusing. Police had to show up as apparently the dispute must have been getting heated. I spoke to the girl at the front desk to advise we are checking out due to the conditions of the hotel. She advised there is no charge and printed my receipt showing no charge. We moved to the Holiday Inn directly across the street and had a wonderful stay.

I understand this place is being renovated, but even the renovated parts are not decent. It is very dirty, stains and bad smells.

Oh by the way... they still charged me for a night. When I called the hotel to explain that I I was not be charged and explained that I have the receipt to show I will not be charged, the manager advised he is charging me and hung up. I tried calling him back several times to discuss it and all he says is to call my credit card company. I ask him who the regional manager for the area and he hangs up on me.

Never had this experience before. Awful place, awful management. No amount of renovations will deal with the cleanliness and customer service of any place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Maritimeman
Reviewed 29 July 2011

doors didnt lock, no handle on doors, smells like sewer, clocks didnt work, beds were "lollipop" sticky, showers leaked, had black stuff in the showers, had to shower in flip flops, you couldnt see the bottom of the shallow end of the pool, no fire extinguishers. Go to holiday inn across the street. BEST HOTEL EVER!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank igolftb
Reviewed 13 July 2011

To start off let me say I have stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times. I have friends in the area and this was my usual hotel-of-choice. In fact, I had stayed in this hotel just 1 week prior to this stay that I'm going to be reviewing.

The hotel is currently under construction with roughly have the hotel finished. When I booked the room it showed the new-style rooms which honestly look very up-to-date on their website. I figured it'd be perfect... new rooms and freshly updated should mean a nice, quiet, pleasant stay.

It wasn't.

When we checked into our room the young lady at the front desk was quite helpful but as other reviewers have mentioned they do NOT use their air conditioning in the common areas. The temperature read-out on their big clock by the front desk said it was 81 degrees inside (and 93 outside). That's pretty irksome, why can't they turn on the AC? Regardless, we checked in and took our luggage to the room. We had some food we went to put in the in-room refrigerator but noticed it was actually warmer inside the fridge versus the temperature of the room. I had asked when I made the reservation that the AC be turned on in my room before I got there so it wouldn't be over 80 degrees when I arrived. They didn't. Additionally the room had a thick coating of dust on literally EVERYTHING. I had to wipe down my bed before placing anything on it. I know they are under construction but surely the maids dust, right?

Next I powered on my laptop but noticed there was a password needed for the WIFI. I went to phone to call down to the front desk but there was no dial-tone. I went back downstairs to the front desk where the helpful young lady said they had no other rooms to put us in besides one that was under construction otherwise they were sold-out. I asked if we got a different room if we'd get a partial refund as it isn't at all like the room I reserved. She said she wasn't able to do that and that her manager was out of town. She then said she'd send somebody up to look at the fridge and phone but "I have to warn you, he doesn't speak English and would be more comfortable if you weren't there". JOY. I went back up to our room and about 10 minutes later a guy shows up, just walks in without even acknowledges my existence and fidgets with the fridge. He leaves (left our room door wide open) and comes back 5 minutes later with a new phone. He tries the phone and I could tell he didn't have any luck as he threw his hands up and walked out. Again, he left the door wide open. 30 minutes later I go to the front desk where the nice lady said "Oh he says there is no phone line in that room and I tried calling my manager but he won't answer." She said that there was nothing she could do for me other than give us an under-construction room at the full price. She did tell me that the manager would be back the next morning. I honestly tried to find another hotel room in the area but had no luck. To be honest, we did have cell phones but what if they needed to reach us? I could tell the front desk worker felt bad but without her manager her hands were tied.

My family and I went out for the evening and when we returned there was not one single parking spot for us. The construction equipment in the back takes up well over half the spaces and since they were sold out I had to park my vehicle in a different hotel's lot and walk back. When I got back to the room we found out the toilet also was broken. It would not stop running unless you either jiggled the handle or dismantled part of the tank and fidgeted with the flush valve. I would've called down to the front desk but... well yeah you get the picture.

The next morning we go to check out and ask for the manager. The new young lady at the front desk (who was truly very helpful too) said the manager wasn't going to be back until the next day. We recap everything and she was horrified but again her hands were tied. She tried calling her manager while we were standing there. Lo and behold he picked up! But when she told him what was going on her face went from cheery to sour... we could tell he gave her a very stern talking to and said he refused to talk to us. If we wanted to talk to him we would have to leave our name and number. She felt awful and couldn't believe it, either.

I left my name and number and 4 days later haven't heard anything from him. I've called him 3 more times but each time he doesn't pick up and doesn't return my voicemails. I've registered a complaint with ChoiceHotels and they quickly offered me a free night at a "8000 point Comfort Inn" but I said I want just a partial refund not another hotel stay. The lady understood and apologized for the manager's lack of, well, being a manager.

HOW PATHETIC. And on top of everything, they have these nice new rooms and the same old TV's they have had for years. You have to use 2 remotes to work the TV (hello, 1995) and they come complete with a VCR. (hello, 1985). They lost a very very long-time customer. Shame on them!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Matchgame90
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my husband who was on business trip. We stayed in the newly renovated rooms. Room was very good, nie work done by management in renovation. They had new breakfast (comfort inn's new breakfast introduction) nice set-up, wide selection of food, staff service was excellent. I would say this comfort inn has one of the best hotel rooms.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My sister and I stopped at this hotel on our way from Michigan to the Jersey Shore. I've always trusted Comfort Inn properties but was rather disappointed by this hotel. Another sister and her husband stayed here on their way home in January, so I knew the property was under renovation. When we arrived, the lobby was uncomfortably warm; the desk clerk said that there was no A/C in the lobby (I thought due to renovations but after reading other reviews, maybe not). The corridors leading to the rooms were also very hot. I was told the room was a newly renovated room and the decor was very nice. However they were apparently still using the same old mattresses, as they were obviously well worn and not very comfortable. The fridge in the room didn't appear to be working and when I checked, found that it wasn't plugged in properly. Someone had also left food in there, which housekeeping didn't bother to take out. Note to housekeeping: You may want to double check the fridge when cleaning the room.
I checked the bed for cleanliness and discovered that the blanket on one of the beds appeared to have some kind of little specks on it. I don't think they were bugs, but wasn't about to take any chances and requested a clean blanket, which was provided. Another note to housekeeping: Please wash the blankets and quilts from time to time.
The complimentary breakfast was fine, but once again, the lobby was warm and it was uncomfortable to sit there and eat. Note to owner: you may want to invest in some air conditioning for your lobby and guest room corridors. I've stayed in worse places, but I've also been in better Comfort Inns.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2011

It was so very hot at 10:30pm when we checked in (June 2011). 88 degrees! The girl at the desk (who was nice) was embarrassed and apologized and said the owner wouldn't use AC. Our room was 80 degrees and took hours to get down to 76 degrees. We'd been driving all day, and it was too late and we were too tired to get another hotel, tho we should have. I've always enjoyed Comfort Inns in the past. What's with this owner where he's too cheap so we're very uncomfortable???

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
Best Western Plus New Cumberland Inn & Suites
Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#3 of 14 in New Cumberland
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Clarion Hotel & Conference Cente...
#10 of 14 in New Cumberland
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Capital Inn New Cumberland
Capital Inn New Cumberland
#4 of 14 in New Cumberland

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites New Cumberland - Harrisburg? Share your experiences!