“Don't book this motel! Not a family safe motel”
Review of Motel 6 Harrisburg

Motel 6 Harrisburg
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I did the reservation 2 days before the trip. I got in the hotel at 10:00pm after driving for 5 hours. Although I requested a room close to my friend, they gave me a room on the opposite side on 3rd floor. Took my luggage all the way up, (walk through guests smoking weed outside their room), and when I got in the room the door that was partial opened and the room was all messy. I went back to the office and asked for another room. They apologized and gave me another room on the 3rd floor next door to the 1st one.I got all the way up again and the room was messier. I went downstairs and cancelled my reservation. They couldn't give me another room because they didnt have any clean. I assume that if you do a reservation there is a clean room ready for you. I went to the hotel next door, with clean rooms and free wi-fi. Rooms were clean everyday.

Room Tip: Book the hotel next door, it was way better than this one.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Miriam B

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked this back in april I just went by the photos. Arrived and was greeted by a nasty girl who pretty much said she could not give us what we were promised (micro fridge and microwave) explained that we NEEDED these items due to traveling with a baby. said she could TRY. something told me to check out the room before anything. The staircase was run down and felt ghetto. One lady was coming down cursing to herself she clearly was on some type of drugs. Get to the room and those pictures of the nice modern rooms are so deceiving! Room was TINY, DIRTY and smelled like weed. Sheets had stains, the floor had not been clean had trash on it. looked dingy and just nasty. No way was I staying there with my kids! we left and ended up paying more at the comfort inn thats right up the road but well worth it! awesome staff, hot breakfast, huge clean modern rooms...worth the extra money. drug dealers, prostitutes, and dirty people is what comes to mind when I entered this motel 6. Dont get me wrong I have stayed in other motel 6 and it was ok but this one NEVER would I let my babies feet touch that floor or bed YUCK. so room was dirty and nasty but the people who stood there were questionable truly felt unsafe.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jeff g
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I called the hotel directly and was told I could reserve a room with a Queen-sized bed. When we checked in and went to the room the bed was obviously only a full-size. I called the office and they said it "should" be a queen - but offered no solution. Then when we looked further we found we had no towels except one hand-towel and one wash rag. I again called the desk and they told me that they only had one washer / dryer and that the towels were not ready but as soon as they were, they would bring some to our room. After a day of traveling we wanted to shower before we went out but decided to go get dinner and then come back and shower. We arrived back at our room around 11:00 pm - still no towels. I called the desk again and was told the towels were not done, but that we were "on the list". That did not help our problem. So - without a shower and with lots of noise from screaming children from the other rooms in the hotel - we went to bed. Unfortunately, neither of us slept much - small, uncomfortable bed with less-than-average pillows, without a shower - we were both uncomfortable and unhappy.
In the morning I called for towels again and again I was told that they did not have any clean but would get them to us when they had them ready. At this point, in real need of a shower we went out and purchased four new towels to bring back to the room so that we could shower. On our way out (we had to walk nearly the length of the one side of the motel to get to the elevator) we noticed that someone had thrown trash, including a lot of chicken bones, on the balcony area that we had to walk across. We had to pick our way through the trash to get to the other side of the mess!
On Saturday late afternoon we stopped back into the room, my husband had gone to get ice and I was in the bathroom. I heard knocking at the door - and I thought he had forgotten the room key - I was just opening the bathroom door (still sitting on the toilet) to yell to him that he would have to wait a minute and a mail (maid I am assuming) burst into the room headed straight for me! I was shocked and slammed the door shut. He said sorry and left....I was quite upset!
He never did return so the room never got straightened and we never got the towels (if he had any).
Sunday morning we saw another maid with a cart full of towels - I asked if she could give us some and she did not seem to want to do so. She kept checking a piece of paper she had in her hand saying we were not on her list and complaining that because there was only one washer / dryer she could not go home until laundry was done...she was very unhappy with her situation also.
This was easily one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a hotel / motel. My husband is in the military and we frequently travel - I have never had experiences like this before. I will most likely never stay in a Motel 6 again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tina F
Reviewed 2 July 2014

When arriving in the afternoon we noticed people moving tables and chairs from a room outside to a grassy area on the side of the parking lot. Our room key didn't work so a painter opened our door with a master key card hanging around his neck. Awesome! After a long day at Hershey park we returned at 10:30 pm to find the table we saw earlier was for everyone in the parking lot drinking, smoking pot and raising hell. The balcony outside our room was also full of people partying. They commented on us having children in the room next to theirs. They were running around the balcony banging on doors and using foul language. Needless to say we didn't sleep all night because we were worried about our car and the safety of our grand children in the room. At 5:30 am I went to the office and demanded my money back and checked out. Absolutely without a doubt our worst hotel experience ever and we travel quite a bit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sandy T
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife, I, and grandchildren were supposed to stay 3 nights, well we left after one horrible night of no sleep! Even though I pay a cheap price doesn't mean we should have to put up with yelling, swearing, door banging, pot smoking, and who knows what else. If you are a hooker or a drug dealer this may be your kind of place. At least we did get our money back. The rest of the trip was saved by a nice stay at Cocoa Country Inn in Hershey.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank David T
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Cheap everyday rate as the clerk said . Great place to stay if you don't mind sacrificing you and yours security, and sharing your room with black biting bugs! And as far as customer service goes the clerk was apologetic , and stated "we have the lowest everyday rates" but in his defense he offered me a coupon for 10% off my next stay there . ( Right )

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Pablo359
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I guess you really do get what you pay for. Wanted a cheap room and got a cheap room. The beds are carved out of keystone. I guess because it's the Keystone State. If you plan to stay here please remember your gas mask. The cigarette smell is everywhere! But then again you get what……….!

Room Tip: There's a Fairfield across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Geenerbug
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
Scottish Inns New Cumberland
Scottish Inns New Cumberland
#6 of 14 in New Cumberland
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisburg South
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisbu...
#10 of 14 in New Cumberland
Highland Inn
#8 of 14 in New Cumberland
Comfort Inn Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg - South
Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey

Been to Motel 6 Harrisburg? Share your experiences!