“Not The Same Coakley's As It Once Was”
Review of Coakley's Restaurant & Pub - CLOSED

Price range: US$0 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Americana and Irish Cuisine in a casual dining atmosphere or a pub environment. Wide variety menu with daily chef's specials and regular nightly offerings. Great night life/bar atmosphere, with our main bar, game room and J. Thomas O'malley, Tobacconist, smoking and cigar bar. Outdoor seating in the summer
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This restaurant was a favorite meeting place for friends and family for years mainly due to Dick Coakley and his attention to detail. He sold this restaurant approximately two years ago and it has not been the same since. One would think that if you buy a successful business then the formula would be not to make changes.

Unfortunately the new owners have made many changes and they have not been good ones. Although the food quality remains good the prices have steadily risen and the selection has decreased.

My family and I have been coming to Coakley's for approximately 15 years but sadly we have witnessed many of the regular customers not return over the past two years. The overall appearance of Coakley's has gone downhill. The bathrooms in the bar are dirty and definitely need attention. They smell of urine and are badly in need of attention. If the bathrooms are in this condition it makes you wonder what else is being neglected.

Coakley's appears to have been attacked by a cancer and it is not being treated. Sadly this icon of the West Shore is dying and my suggestion would be to avoid it and go to one of the Irish themed bars in Harrisburg or a sports bar like Arooga's

1  Thank JWalters

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We used a livingsocial coupon and went to try out their food. it was good and everything was hot. Prime rib was gotten by 2 people but the one was so thin....nothing was said but when it was eat our waiter Joey came to us and said he was not at all impressed with how thin it was and said he has one being cut and made to take home...no charge! He was great! Would recommend!

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Went to Coakley's expecting a good experience as it has been a few years since I was there. The service was slow, the waitress kept blaming it on a retirement party. Wouldn't management schedule more waitstaff to be sure something like this would not happen? How long does it take to take a drink order and deliver the drinks to the table? It was about 15 minutes too long. One person in our party had ordered soup, you would expect the soup to come out with the side salads. That did not happen, when she was finished with her soup, our salads came out. You would have thought the soup and salads would have been brought out together as the person who had ordered the soup did not order a side salad. This episode lasted a good 15 minutes. After about another 20 -25 minutes when the entree's were brought to our table, our food was hot, the other couple dining with us had lukewarm food. The waitress came by maybe 5 minutes later to check on everything, because she was working the retirement party, and apologized because of the retirement party. They were able to finally tell her the food was only luke warm not hot and would like to have it heated. Those meals came back about 5 minutes or so later and was hot, like it should have been when it had first arrived at the table. The food was good, not great and the speed of the service was poor. I am glad I wasn't in a hurry! The atmosphere was only OK, as the air return on the HVAC system had a loud humming noise that intruded into the entire dining area. Not a place for an itimate dining experience.

1  Thank Hockey_FanPA
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Take heed.... restaurant-goers that have a food allergy or intolerance! Having recently moved to the area, we decided to try out this local restaurant and pub. We brought our 4 year old daughter along with us who has celiac disease. We made it perfectly clear to our server that she was unable to have wheat and/or gluten and thought that for sure the hamburger that we ordered would be safe.

2 hours after our meal, our daughter gets violently ill. It turns out that Coakley's does not use all beef hamburgers...they put wheat flour in them and god knows what else. When I called the manager, he apologized and offered upon our return to comp our next meal. Ha! I wouldn't touch this place with a 10 ft pole ever again. If they can add wheat flour to their burgers, who knows what other additives they are putting in their food.

Tim H, Owner at Coakley's Restaurant & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

I just found your review and I wanted to respond immediately to it. I was aware of what occurred and let me APOLOGIZE! Both personally and professionally what happened to your daughter is unacceptable. The patty we had served was a pre-pattied product in which we had no control over the manufacturing process. As a result, we reevaluated the products we use and went to hand pattied burgers so we know that they are made of pure ground beef. I assure you that we do not use additives in any of the products we make.

I dont know if there is a way I can personally make it up to you. If you have anything I can do, please contact me at the restaurant 774-5556

Reviewed 21 March 2011

I was in PA visiting family when someone recommended I try Coakley's for dinner. I found the rooms to be quaint and intimate which was a nice change from the standard seating of national chain restaurants. The food was great. I had the scallops which were huge and cooked to perfection. I'll definately be going back next time I'm in town.