“Illegal Charges”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Hartford, Connecticut
“Illegal Charges”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We have been going to the Corvettes at Carlisle show for the past 20 yrs. We were unable to get a room at our normal hotel so we found the Travel Inn in New Cumberland last minute and the price was reasonable. The stay was okay until we returned home when I noticed an additional $50 charge from the hotel on my Visa. When I called the hotel manager, Mr. Patel, he told me that after we left a cleaning person said we had stolen 2 pillows and ruined some linens. I told him he was mistaken - I would NEVER steal a pillow or ruin linens from a hotel and the cleaning person must have mixed up the room numbers. He said too bad and hung up. I was so upset I had my wife called and speak to Mr. Patel. She explained that I never stole pillows or ruined linens and never would. When he refused to look into the matter any further she told him he would file a complaint and he hung up on her. She has been in customer service for 30 yrs. and has never received such terrible service from anyone. I have served in the military for 25 yrs. and I do not steal from hotels. If I did ruin linens I would have told someone at the front desk. The hotel has your Visa card on file and can charge anything they want and there is nothing you can do about it. I would NEVER stay there again and recommend no one else does either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank osow1098

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Place was dirty & run down. Sink in room was disgusting! Staff was not helpful. I did not even stay, but still had to pay because i did not provide them with 24 hours notice. I did not know 24 hours before i got there how gross this place was. How was i supposed to cancel in advance?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank AT124
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I have stayed at the Travel Inn a few times and have always been treated kindly by the staff. The rooms are clean and have plenty of space.
Some rooms do have mirrors over the bed which I don't care for. If you don't as well just reguest a room with no mirrors.
There is a new vending machine with many types of drinks. Its nice to see so many non soda choices.
The beds are comfortable tho the pillows are flat.
It's always been very quiet here, I don't hear anything from other rooms which is a plus.
A hair dryer, microwave, mini frig is in each room.
The pool is clean and had seating.
I do recommend staying at the Travel Inn

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Cathy1201
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I were looking for a room the night of our wedding. The best man offer to get us a room, so he called Travel Inn for us. We booked the room with a credit card. When the reception was over my husband and I went to Travel Inn to check in, the clerk told us because we didn't answer our phone, he cancelled our reservations and gave our room to someone else. Then my husband and I left because who wants to stay at hotel with that kind of service. How are you suppose to answer a phone when you are in the middle of a reception?

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tammy S
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We needed a place to stay since our power was out a couple days. Found out our power was back so we called booking agency to cancel the last day (front desk does not credit there, you have to call "Peggy"). After looking up the checking account, saw that instead of crediting us the last day they CHARGED us an extra day. Took 6 phone calls to get them to finally comfirm they will cancel the last day. General Manager gave an major attitude over the phone after letting them know we would be calling back if the charges are not removed. Horrible customer service makes this place not worth it. Will get the bank involved if not resolved.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Jeepers73
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2011

A buddy of mine booked this motel through Priceline to stay at while going to a car show in Carlisle, PA. Though the cost was cheap, but there were several reasons for that. This place was a very cheap motel. There were no shampoos offered for guests. The sink was located outside of the bathroom, which makes things awkward. Plus, it means that you have no place to leave your clothes within the bathroom / shower room itself. The TV in the room looked (and sounded) like it belonged in a Staples store furniture display instead. Next time, I'll pay the extra to stay at a nicer place like the Radisson hotel in Camp Hill, PA.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank foodman1981
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The room was clean, hot water worked and good water pressure. The beds felt fine and the sheets and bedspread were clean. There weren't too many other travelers there that weekend and the location felt safe. The heater worked great...a little too hot but it was easy to adjust.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends