“Tried this place 4 times and it was a disaster every time- NEVER again”

New Freedom Restaurant and Coffee Shop
Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in New Freedom
Cuisines: American
Description: Http://www.local.com/business/details/new-freedom-pa/new-freedom-restaurant-coffee-shop-62136575/
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Last pm my family and I thought we would give this place another chance. We had been there 3 previous times and every time, there was an issue and the meal was disasterous. This time we went for dinner, and had the same experience. The waitress was very friendly and I feel badly for her because most of it was not her fault.

There were 4 of us in the party. One ordered fried oysters, one ordered the beef tips but requested it be served with mashed potatoes and clearly said that he did not want or like rice (we were told that was no problem), one ordered pork chops and one ordered the Prime Rib Imperial- cooked Medium only. Two also ordered cream of crab soup.

The soup arrived promptly and I think there may have been one microscopic shred of crabmeat between our two servings..It was all cream/soup and no meat what so ever. Twenty five minutes after ordering, the waitress came out to inform us that although most of the meals were almost ready, the one meal could not be prepared because there was a problem with the fryer. This person then ordered hot roast beef. Ten minutes later the meals arrived.

The pork chops were tough but edible, not really worth complaining about. The roast beef was fine. The beef tips were served over rice and when we pointed it out to the waitress, she simply brought out a plate of mashed potatoes. The steak, which was ordered as medium, came out cold but well done. It was obvious that it had been cooked and allowed to cool off while the roast beef was being fixed. In addition, there was a huge area on the steak that was nothing but fat. The waitress asked how everything else was and I informed her that the steak was cold but would eat it because I didn't want to wait while everyone else ate. When I finally cut past all the fat, and started to cut into the meat, I also realized that it was cooked well done and not medium as I ordered. Mentioning it to the waitress, I was told 'oh, I'm sorry.'

The food was mediocre at best and when there was a problem with 3 of the 4 meals, that isn't a good track record. I refused to eat the steak, having taken only 2 bites of it and realizing that it was cold and way over cooked. I asked for the manager and another waitress appeared. I believe she may have been some sort of floor manager. She spoke with us about everything. Finally she said (very reluctantly), "well, I'll see if I can do anything about it" and I flat out told her , "you can take the steak back because I'm not eating it and I'm not paying for it either." Fifteen minutes later she returned to say that she took the steak off but everything else "wound up being ok" but she was sorry. We didn't want anything else taken off but to know that this was a 4th attempt eating at their restaurant and this time was just as bad as all the others, you would think that the cook or the manager would actually come out and apologize.

The dessert tray looked amazing but we didn't order any. I will never eat here again and will not recommend it to anyone. Many of my friends come up from MD to eat in this area and I have at times told them about this place but no more.

3  Thank travelinmama1731
There are newer reviews for New Freedom Restaurant and Coffee Shop

Reviewed 13 January 2013

If you want good food at reasonable prices you have to check this place out. Nice and friendly. A place where, if you are a local, you are sure to run into someone you know. The desserts are to die for.

Could use a little sprucing up on the old side, though, and the parking lot can be a little tricky. Overall, I like it.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

This restaurant needs training classes for it's waiters & waitresses.....Food compares to diner food--which is fine with me.....A bit loud for a restaurant though....