“Worth the visit”
Review of Steam into History

Steam into History
More attraction details
Owner description: Steam Into History Inc. operates an 1860s era steam locomotive as well as a Pennsylvania G10 Diesel. Ride the rails and learn about Civil War history in York County. There are other events that take place including cowboy robberies, hobo runs and numerous holiday celebrations. Relive Civil War and railroad history.
Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Wow, what a great time! A beautiful train. The cars were wonderfully restored. A great ride with a real Steam engine

All reviews
"great trip"
"united states"
"worth the trip"

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Rode the Hanover Junction ride with friends on a Friday. Very informative narrator provides an excellent historical perspective of the rail line and the area during the Civil War era.

Train ride is not first class comfort, and that's because you are riding on replica coaches from the Civil War era. There is one car with padded seats, and the ride is NOT uncomfortable.

The layover at Hanover Junction provides time to visit the museum in the former depot and photograph the train and/or speak with the train crew.

The gem of the railroad is their steam locomotive. While built just a few years ago, it was constructed to a design of the mid to late 19th century (while incorporating present-day safety features).

There are clean toilet facilities at both New Freedom and Hanover Jct., and the train crew indicated there is also a toilet on the train.

Keep in mind that the train is not air conditioned. The windows in the train cars all open, but on a very hot and humid day there would be little respite from the heat. If this is a factor for you, plan your visit accordingly.

With rides of different lengths and themes, there is something for everyone here and well worth a visit!

An excellent experience for all ages.

1  Thank stm5468
Reviewed 27 March 2017

Well, Let me start by saying it was soooo Hokey!!! It was unbelievably loud(like screaming at the top of your lungs) We were told there was restroom on board and there was not. Was told we could bring peanuts or crackers to eat and was told when we boarded absolutely not allowed food or drinks. They had no comedy team doing anything on the way back was told they couldn't do it because people were facing both ways??? Anyway for 70. a couple a complete rip-off... Won't be recommending to anyone.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

Add to you holiday " To DO " list for 2017. Staff very friendly. 2 year old grandson loved it. Great Santa. Arrive at the station a few minutes early to enjoy the treats, atmosphere and train table for play.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

My mother and I won tickets at a silent auction and could not wait to see the murder mystery !
We got our popcorn and got ready to enjoy the show :) all of a sudden we were being over taken by bees . My mom was the first to be stung and I thought it was a freak thing . All of a sudden I felt something on my back . I was being stung too ! We stopped at Hanover station and upon boarding , I was stung again on my head . The lady across from me got the bee out of my hair . There was a guy on the train that applied something to the stings . I couldn't take it anymore and asked to be dropped off and called for a ride . It was actually terrifying and very disappointing that we missed the whole show worrying about being stung and being in pain . The guy helping did state that it happens a lot because the train stirs up the nests under the rail road . I would highly suggest they put a sign up warning people . It could get ugly if someone was highly allergic and didn't have an epi pen . I would love to ride again but I'm too scared . Maybe I'll try it during winter when the bees are hibernating. I had anxiety attack during this episode and the medic tending to me was very helpful!!!

Steam H, Marketing at Steam into History, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. Our team had to do quite a bit of investigation to learn more about the circumstances surrounding the experience you described and we’re still unclear about the timing and the situation. Because you mentioned the Murder Mystery specifically we gathered that this either happened to you in the Spring of 2016 or some time in 2015. Is that correct? Did you speak with a manager from our team prior to writing this review? If so, did they not properly address your concerns? If that’s the case, I’m truly sorry we neglected to handle this situation in a more personal and timely manner. It distresses all of us that we found out about your negative experience on Trip Advisor, as we strive to provide the best customer experience we possibly can, on and off the train, especially when something significant like a bee sting happens! Typically, our staff, and our large support network of volunteers, will alert management immediately when something serious happens, but for this we have no incident records on file that we could reference. One of our team members vaguely recalls knocking a wasp out of a woman’s hair once, but does not recall dealing with a sting that time, let alone multiple stings on one train ride. We are well prepared for bee stings, along with a host of other potential first aid situations, and we hope that you were treated for your stings at the time of your incident.

Although we do occasionally get a bee or a wasp on the train during the nice weather months when our windows are open, we do not have an ongoing problem with nests on the tracks or any other situation that would warrant saying we have a chronic problem. I’m sorry to hear that someone told you otherwise, as it’s simply not the case. We did have a report once that there were wasps in the cannons at Hanover Junction and we took action with the park service immediately to remove the nest. We also monitor the tracks and the route diligently as a part of our ongoing safety routines to ensure passengers are able to immerse themselves in the beautiful scenery, the event or music being featured, and ensure that they enjoy a pleasant ride without nuisances. Unfortunately, though, with the windows open, sometimes nature chooses to join us for the ride inside the cars, but nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly nothing that happens on an ongoing basis.

Regarding the Murder Mystery show, the murder is solved by the time you reach Hanover Junction so if you left the train when it was stopped there and found other transportation, the good news is that you were not left hanging with an outstanding mystery to yet be revealed. Can you clarify if this is the location where you departed the train? If you somehow departed before then, we would be happy to tell you more about what you might have missed if you call and chat with us, but we wouldn’t want to spoil the fun in a public forum for anyone planning to join the fun on the next Murder Mystery train.

We’re pleased to hear that you are willing to come back and try another ride. Please contact us when you schedule a visit so we can meet you, talk to you about your incident in person, and help to make sure that your next adventure is 100% positive. Again, we’re truly sorry to hear about your bee stings and your negative experience - we hope to get it right the next time if we did do something wrong the first time. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our team directly at the shop at any time to discuss this further and to provide additional feedback. We’re always open to improving our experience for each and every customer, in each and every unique circumstance. We look forward to hearing from you.