“Not what we had hoped for”

Yoder's Restaurant & Buffet
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in New Holland
Price range: US$5 - US$14
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I decided to eat here during a 3 day weekend in the area after reading a review saying it was a favorite with the locals. While there were a couple nice items on the salad bar (I particularly liked the chow chow and the pickled beets) there was very little in the way of meats. They have a grill where they make potato pancakes (among other things) but we were particularly disappointed in them. As far as dessert is concerned, I am a big fan of shoo-fly pie but theirs is served cold - a big sin as far as I am concerned. If you don't want to pay what they are charging at Miller's or Shady Maple (and you don't like crowds) you can save some money and time here and get mediocre food.

1  Thank Charlie S
There are newer reviews for Yoder's Restaurant & Buffet

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We went to Yoder's last weekend because it's a better option on a Saturday than waiting in line for an hour at Shady Maple. I love the food at Shady Maple more, but if you just need a solid meal without the massive wait, Yoder's is a safe bet. The selection was very good, and you can't go hungry here. The food quality of the buffet itself was just average. Decent, filling food but nothing special. Shady Maple really does have some superior quality. But for a dollar more, we got the Land and Sea option which gave us access to the meat grilling station and it was worth it. The salmon and corn fritters were excellent. Our server was very nice, especially considering we had a fussy toddler dining with us. With that in mind, the hostess should have seated a family with a young child on the edges of the room, at one of the empty end booths. We, however, were seated in the middle of the room with people on all sides. It's a seating mistake I see over and over. Overall, I would recommend Yoder's for a casual buffet experience. It's a decent price and you don;t have to compete with four hundred people for a table.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We live about 30" from Yoder's and frequent the buffet a few times a year. We are never disappointed. Never have to wait in line like at Shady Maple and the price is much more reasonable. To be fair, however, Yoder's does not have the amount of selections on the buffet as Shady Maple but what choices they have is plenty and good tasting. If you don't want the buffet you can order off the menu as well, which is nice for those in your party who don't have a buffet appetite. I do not hesitate to recommend Yoder's esp. Over the overpriced, crowded, tourist trap of Shady Maple!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I had visited Yoders while on an anniversary trip to Amish Country. This was one of the places that I was really looking forward to going to but found it to be quite a disappointment from the things that I've heard. We attended Yoders for Sunday brunch and we were quite disappointed by the selections. Most of the items served were more lunch items than breakfast items. There wasn't anything close to a balance.

Most of the food was average and I wasn't impressed by most of the selections. However as in any buffet you do find a few standouts. The cream chipped beef (which I usually don't like but decided to give a try) was excellent. Also, the shoo fly pie and the bread pudding were quite good. So, it wasn't a complete wash.

If we were to return to the area, I would definitely give Yoders a second try. I would skip the brunch buffet and go more for a breakfast, lunch or dinner buffet.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We went to Yoder's again last week while out in Lancaster County. The price is cheaper during the week ($ 9.99 a person, although beverages such as iced tea & soda are extra) plus seniors get 10% off.

There is a LOT to choose from on the buffet (soups, bread, salad, hot entrees and sides plus desserts) & there is also a grill. My favorites are the broasted chicken & the salad bar (their bacon dressing is the BEST I've had anywhere). I had the steamed cauliflower, but it was not cooked long enough & was too hard. (I've had it before & it was cooked longer, so it was much easier to eat & more enjoyable.)

My family enjoys the buffet as well. The food isn't fancy, but it's good & with the large selection, everyone can find something they like.