“It's now official -- Inn at Phillips Mill is our favorite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
The Inn at Phillips Mill
Ranked #10 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Last night was our third visit to The Inn at Phillips Mill, and actually our only one alone rather than with a small group. It was a Monday, so it was extremely quiet and the candlelit atmosphere couldn't have been more romantic or wonderful for our 2nd Anniversary dinner. Our waitress was charming and remarked at our wonderful wine we brought (Silver Oak Cabernet). We shared escargot on puff pastry which was superb. We ordered the rack of lamb (they call them chops) and there were two double chops and a single, but very thick one. I love lamb, but this may perhaps be the best rack of lamb I've ever had. It was fully crusted with Herbs of Provence, cooked till almost crusty on the outside and perfectly medium rare inside. It was juicy and simply delicious. I do not apologize for picking up the bones and gnawing away the very last bit of meat. My partner had a Black Angus strip steak with red wine sauce and it too was delicious. The broccoli, carrots, roasted beet, and flavorful mashed potatoes were all perfect accompaniments, as was the sesame encrusted very fresh and hot bread. In the past we've enjoyed their veal, pork, and fish dishes (a sensational tuna, by the way) but this night we chose our food to go with our wine -- and that called for lamb and beef. I will say the offerings for dessert were a little sparse -- and NONE were chocolate, which was a surprise, but we shared a very good almond/lemon cake wedge with ice cream and it really was very good.

This meal with the person I love just couldn't have been any better. We really do love this place and when we think "where can we go that's really great, very romantic, and we can take our own fine wine?" -- there's no doubt where we'll be heading.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nappatles
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Phillips Mill

Reviewed 16 October 2012

With so few restaurants open on Monday, we were delighted to return to this long time favorite. We just hoped it would be as good as we remembered - it was even better! We left behind a dark rainy night to enter a beautiful dining room entirely lit by candles, with starched white table cloths and tasteful table settings. We were greeted by an elegant young woman and shown to a window table with cushioned wicker chairs. Our BYOB was promptly opened, poured into sommelier goblets and followed by crusty, warm french bread with fine butter.
Instead of daring combinations of things people rarely eat, the menu offered thoughtful presentations of appetizers, salads and main courses.
A perfect crab cake, lightly sauced for me, and vegetable "napoleon" for Joann, were followed by two inventive salads enlivened by textural contrasts. My rib lamb chops were superbly seasoned and perfectly cooked. Joann's pork tenderloin was attractively presented. Both entrees were accompanied by baby brussel sprouts, pureed sweet potato, spiced beets, a bit of mashed potato and more - all cooked just right, no need for salt or pepper! The home-made nut pie was uniquely good to match a fine cup of espresso.
Our waitress did NOT introduce herself, ask if we were "still working on that", or ask "how is everything?" because it was obvious that we were delighted with her classic discreet attentiveness and the thoughtfulness and perfect timing of the kitchen.
This was a four star complete meal in elegant surroundings for a touch over $100.

Room Tip: This is a get away very near the quaint towns of New Hope and Lambertville. Almost walking distance...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BoHahn
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We once loved coming to this quaint Inn for dinner. That all changed last night. Where to begin; ah yes, with possibly the worst waitress in PA. I am overly polite to service staff having been a server for over 20 years and knowing how the public at large can sometimes be and last night was no exception. She, however, was blatantly rude, unskilled and did I mention how rude she was?.. The table settings were dirty, the food was OK and though the plates for dinner were very hot, I cannot say the same about the food. The idea of seasonal root vegetables was a good one though they were completely unseasoned. I'm also not sure how 1/3 of a plain baked potato serves as "roasted potatoes". And day-old bread that was barely warmed. We used to love to stay and have dessert here but really couldn't get out of there quickly enough. That was our last trip to the Inn at Phillips Mill.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Diane H
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We needed to find a place in New Hope that would allow a one night (Sat.) stay and somehow I stumbled upon the I of PM in NH, PA. When we arrived, there was no signage as to an office, so we entered clumsily from the road into the Inn (carefully avoiding traffic as there was no sidewalk and the Inn is smack on the main road) and we had to mill around (no pun intended) to find someone to inquire if our room was ready. A person emerged from the kitchen who did not speak English very well, but still, cordial and all part of the charm. She showed us to our room--up a narrow, dark set of stairs within the restaurant--and we were happy with this little retreat. The price was right for the one night for a bare-bones bedroom with a double bed, private bath and a separate sitting room with a dining table and two chairs, chaise lounge and a library of reading material against the wall. The Inn was a curious little find, and the reviews we saw previous to going there were "great for dinner, skip staying there" but the reasons were not enough to keep us from taking the chance and just going. We did find the Inn's popularity centers around the restaurant (more about that in a bit) than the sleeping arrangements. The areas directly surrounding the mill (the parking areas, e.g.) are 'rough' and rustic and the Inn itself, in our estimation was utterly charming. The room we stayed in was scrupulously clean, but the windows had vines growing over them and hadn't been cleaned (at least on the outside) in what appeared to be literally years. We kept glancing outside, amused by the many cats we saw roaming about the property. We didn't care about the window upkeep much, it was on the outside, did encumber the view, but who cared? I'm a clean freak and it still did not impact our vacation one whit. I thought the decor in the room was old fashioned and 'sweet.' The bed was very firm (maybe more than some would care for) but still comfortable. We passed on the $11.00 for two continental breakfasts (read the reviews which indicated it was not worth even that) and so I toted my own small 4 cupper, some coffee, fruit and breakfast breads and we dined at our little table. We did decide to make a reservation for dinner for our Saturday night stay at the Mill and it was delightful in every way. The Inn is old, extremely gothic and reeks of charm. (I've read elsewhere of the rumors of the Inn being haunted, but our visit contained no indication of that!) We ate dinner on a small porch that had a stone wall, and an old small arched heavy wooden door which was left ajar and I sat fairly in the doorway of it. I felt like I was in merry olde England in this place. Mostly ALL the light was from candles--my kind of place. While we did not have an overly charming server, and she was in fact a bit lackadaisical and devoid of great personality, the food was excellent-very well prepared, adequate portion and delicious and I would suggest you consider this for your next romantic rendevous dinner place when visiting New Hope. It's a BYOB so don't forget your wine--and if you stay there, you can indulge and then just climb the stairs and turn in. There is NO TV and NO internet at the inn, so be prepared for that. As mentioned elsewhere, these digs are not for everybody. We even heard another guest after we checked in walking around outside yelling "hello? hello?" and my husband went down to help him, and pointed him to a separate little outbuilding behind the inn which was the office. If you require alot of creature comforts and 'schmoozing' then you might wish to opt for more opulent accommodations in NH or Lambertville. Be prepared, cash only, no credit cards at the inn either. It's really old fashioned--and we cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: A diamond on the rough.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lorrie
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Innat Phillps Mill on Friday August 17th. It had been several years since we had eaten here and the first time during the summer months. I am so happy to reprt that it was as special as always. We made reseravtions and were warmly greeted and promptly seated in the area we had requested,despite arriving about 20 minutes early. We selected the trio de poissons fumes as an hors d'oeuvre which that night was smoked salmom,mackeral and tuna, the portion was large enough to share and savor. Though the menu is not extensive there is a nice selection, somehting for every palate ,as well as nightly specials. Unable to decide bewteen the cod and tuna entrees I am happy I asked our waitress Jane for her recommendation which I followed enjoying the sesame crusted tuna which very beautifully done, high quality, rare and satisfying. My husband's scallops were superb. The service was excellent somehow Jane always appeared when we needed something but was never intrusive. We even had dessert, which is unusal for us but we were so relaxed and comfortable we wanted pie , the berry pie tasted homemade. Just remember BYOB and cash only . It was as just good as we remembered! Of course we plan to return.

Room Tip: We have eaten in all of the rooms our favorite dining room is the upstairs in the winter when the f...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eve26
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Made reservations 3 weeks ahead, arrived half-hour early and we were immediately taken to a lovely table on their porch. The waitress was extremely friendly and gave us time to make our selection. She told us that the previous evening was extremely busy that she was asked to come in on her day off- that is probably why the last review had a hard time getting a reservation at the last minute. We were told if we wanted to walk the small grounds and enjoy the beautiful evening. The soup was amazing as the hot bread (which was refilled). The steaks were amazing. We will definitely go back and enjoy this little romantic place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I called Phillips Mill Inn to make a reservation during restaurant week, on a Thursday evening.
I asked if anything was available for a party of 2 around 6 pm, the answer was a short NO. I then asked if there was anything around 6:30 or 7? Again NO, I then asked if there was outside seating, again NO. She then said there was something at 8. Why not just say that there was nothing available until 8, instead of letting me continue to inquire about alternative times. The hostess made absolutely no effort to speak pleasantly or let me know up front what the availability was, & thus made the conversation unnecessary.
Needless to say, we have no intentions of every eating there due to the totally rude way that I was treated. Obvisously they make no effort to encourage new business.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Logan Inn
Logan Inn
#7 of 19 in New Hope
Fox and Hound Bed and Breakfast of New Hope

Been to The Inn at Phillips Mill? Share your experiences!