“Beautiful place, great food but the wait staff needs to be sent to charm school.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
The Inn at Phillips Mill
Ranked #12 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We dined at the Inn at Phillips Mill with friends and the food was terrific as always. The Inn is beautiful and the French traditional menu was prepared perfectly and was innovative. Our complements to the chef. The service was a different story. The wait staff was inpatient, never smiled and inattentive to the point of being rude. In short: Beautiful place, great food but the wait staff needs to be sent to charm school.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Joe C

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sussex, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

After reading the negative reviews on here, my boyfriend and I were skeptical to try this place. However, we did anyway & are so glad we did. The positives: it was BYOB, the atmosphere was fantastic (sit in the garden room if you have a choice) and the food was out of this world. Get the beef with blue cheese butter or the scallop entree. The only thing that was lacking was our waitress, who wasn't very attentive. She was knowledgable about the menu but did let our empty plates sit in front of us for a long time before taking them away. We also asked for a bucket of ice for
Our wine and she brought one from another table.. Instead of filling it with fresh ice, we got a bucket with cold water. I would definitely visit again, keeping my fingers crossed for a different waitress.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheTownBarker
Fairfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The food was less than mediocre and the service was worse. Out of the 3 servers who had contact with us, only one of them was pleasant. We seemed to be a burden to the other two. I would NOT recommend this restaurant at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank don t
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Food was cold, waitress was extremely rude, inaccessible and insulting. I am easy going and patient, but have never been treated so badly in a restaurant. Too bad because 2 previous visits were very good. Good thing there are many other good choices. Again, stay away !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jim G
Hillsborough & Villas NJ
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We heard that the food here was very good so I took my wife out to dinner here for her birthday. The restaurant is in a nice rural country setting and the restaurant looks much like a setting out of colonial America. (The building is a historic property) .
The cuisine was very good from the salad to the main dishes. My wife ordered the Scallops while I had the pork tenderloin. We knew in advance that the restaurant did not have a liquor license but that was no concern. What was a concern was that when I tried to order a Diet Coke they informed that they do not serve sodas. How about a Lemonade? No lemonade either. Water and Ice tea were the only soft drinks offered. For a restaurant that is highly rated they can't even supply a diet coke??? Finally after dinner I ordered a Cappuccino (its on the menu). "Sorry the espresso machine is out of order". We've dined at restaurants owned by world renowned chefs and they could always accommodate with a soft drink. What is so special about this place that they cannot accommodate soft drink orders?
Outside of the lack of soft drinks and espresso, the food (for this area) is certainly above average. Hopefully the owners will soon learn that you can do far better by attending to the small details as well as serving good food. There is no room for this type of annoyance at an establishment that is marketing itself as "upscale".

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank capemaytraveler
Narberth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Phillips Mill numerous times through out the years. While no one was ever warm and fuzzy (if you read even the favorable reviews this is a recurring theme), we never complained until now. We recently booked a room and dinner to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. When we arrived in the afternoon, we were taken to our room and it was immediately clear to us and the staff our air conditioner window unit wasn't working. It was 98 degrees that day, so you can imagine how hot the room was. We were told they would fix it, so my husband and I left for some antiquing and a cool place to have a snack. When we came back late afternoon, we went to our room to find it as hot as we had left it. Two more people came up to try and figure out what the problem was, but on one could fix it. We asked if there was another room available and were told there wasn't . We asked if there was another window unit that could replace the broken one, and were told they didn't have another one. Everyone that came into the room agreed the room was too hot to stay in. Reluctantly we decided we would have a much earlier dinner at the inn and make the long trek home. One of the staff came by our table and graciously offered dinner on the house for ruining our wedding anniversary. We thought this was so thoughtful. Well, there was one little hitch we never saw coming. When our refund for the room (you have to pay in advance, personal checks only) wasn't forthcoming after 2 weeks, we called to see when it would be sent out. After many phone calls, we were eventually informed we weren't entitled to a refund because they had given us a free meal. They then begrudgingly agreed to send us a check for $10, to cover the cost difference between the room and the dinner. We're still waiting. Our anniversary was ruined, we are out the cost of our room, and out the additional expense of $75 for our pet sitter that we had to pay. I have never been treated so shabbily and rudely! Will never go back even if they offer a free room!,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Joanne C
New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have known my wonderful husband for 33 years and we have gone to the Inn At Phillips Mill during these many years for our Anniversary's and most often in the beginning truly loved the food and ambience. I just have to say that the some of the peeople who work there can be a little nicer to be honest. Some of the staff on the other hand can be very friendly so I guess it depends on the time and day (this should not be like that in such an Industry as always staff should be very friendly as this is the service Industry!!). We really enjoyed when we dined outside one evening, it was very charming with lots of candles and was romantic. Over the years however..there have been times when the food was delicious beyond our expectations...the last couple of visits the food was not a grea and was sort of disappointing. We visit the New Hope area at least once a year for the past 33 years and will continue to do so. As far as going back to this Inn, I have to think more about it since the last experience was only fair I guess you can say. Overall, everyone traveling to the area should go here for the ambience at least. At this point I am being kind to give it a rating of very good as really it was only in between good and average..sad to say..wish they were like they once were paying such attention to detail also with the food being so very delicious. Some of the staff was never that nice though..they really need to work on that especially when you patronize them for so many years..

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Fox and Hound Bed and Breakfast of New Hope
The Inn at Bowman's Hill
The Inn at Bowman's Hill
#2 of 19 in New Hope

Been to The Inn at Phillips Mill? Share your experiences!