“Romantic Getaway, 1 1/2 hours from NYC”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
New Hope's 1870 Wedgwood Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #6 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Romantic Getaway, 1 1/2 hours from NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Life in NYC, with its fast pace, is often the norm. Do we even realize that we have no time to chat with friends we meet unexpectedly? Life in the small town of New Hope is calm, peaceful, and inviting. There is still nightlife, nice restaurants and bars. We first visited THE WEDGEWOOD INN over 15 years ago and we go back at least once a year. It is charming and welcoming, a perfect bed and breakfast in a great location. The owners are usually on site with great suggestions and the staff is equally friendly and helpful. The decor is eclectic antique with modern bathrooms and amenities. Our favorite "rooms" are actually the Boathouse, which is a small independent structure and the top floor of the Umpleby House. A delicious breakfast is served in a usually sunny large and beautiful room. Or it can be brought to your room if you prefer. Coffee and homemade cookies and fruit are available all day.

This is a very special place to visit during the holiday season. The decorations in and around town are amazing. Many rooms have fireplaces, match ready and easy to light,, with plenty of wood provided.

The area of New Hope and it's neighboring town , Lambertville are filled with artisan shops. You can walk from New Hope, which is in PA, to Lambertville in NJ by crossing a bridge over the Deleware River. There are also canals with fabulous bike paths.

Now that we live in Hawaii, we only come once a year, on our annual Christmas visit to the NY area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have been to several B&B's over the years so I have had some experience with this type of accomodation. I will break my review into the different aspects of our stay at the Wedgewood Inn. I stayed with a friend for 1 night as a quick little getaway. Unfortunately, we stayed in April 2014 and here it is July and I am just writing this review! :(

Host- When we arrived at the Inn, we had to search for someone to check us in which was awkward. We finally found a woman in the office who took care of the business side of our stay (payment), gave us our room key and sent us on our way. It would have been nice for her to walk us to our room and show us around or explain the area to us. We never saw Carl and met Nadine at breakfast the next morning. She was kind but seemed uninterested in us. We got the feeling that she had been in this business so long that she is getting tired of it.

Breakfast- What a disappointment! When I go to a B&B, I expect a fresh, hot breakfast made for me in the morning. This was not the case. We arrived to the dining room and was greeted by a "fresh" fruit cup at our seat. It was ok, but definitely not all the fruit was fresh. We weren't sure if we were supposed to pour our own coffee or the hostess was going to serve us. We finally got up and helped ourselves, only to discover that they hadn't made any decaf coffee for the guests! Now, how can you run and Inn and not provide a pot of decaf for your guests? When I asked, the hostess (who wasn't the owner) said she could make a cup of Sanka for me! Oh brother! I don't think this is too much to ask for an Inn owner as not all guests drink regular coffee and there were about 6 other guests there that morning. Next, the hostess brought over a basket with stale bagels and microwaved muffins that were made earlier in the week. Our main course was a piece of quiche which I had read the reviews earlier and it sounded delicious. However, my friend had noticed that they were making it the day before so, yet again, it was just microwaved before it was served to us. It was my friend's first stay at a B&B so I was hoping this would be a good impression for him. No such luck.

Location- The location of the Wedgewood Inn is really nice. Just a few blocks to the main strip in New Hope yet far enough away that you feel like you escape the noise and hustle of the active main street.

Accomodations- Plenty of parking is provided by the Inn and it is joined with the Inn next door that they own as well. The grounds are pretty but it looks like furniture is just strewn everywhere with no rhyme or reason. Maybe it was because it was early spring and they hadn't cleaned up the yard yet. Also, the house itself was very cluttered. There was furniture and trinkets all over this place - way too much. It also had that old musty smell and every single room was stenciled! I get the stenciling thing, but every room? I think it is overdone. I have stayed at numerous B&B's so I know what to expect. And many of those have that old, antique charm that I love. This Inn is over-the-top though.

We just got the feeling that the owners were overwhelmed with the upkeep of the three Inns they own and have become complacent with the Inns. The Wedgewood Inn needs some major renovations (new carpet, bathrooms, bedding, painting, etc) and, unfortunately, I didn't get the impression that these owners will be doing any of that. Even their website is confusing to follow and chock full of hard to read useless information.

Room- We stayed in the Manchester Valley Room which is located on the second floor. It was a good size and had a nice jacuzzi tub in one corner. The bathroom was in need of an update. It felt old and dirty. The towels too were old and needed to be replaced. It was as if you were using that old towel you keep in the basement for emergencies.

Recommendation- I can't recommend this Inn as a choice in New Hope. If we ever go back to the area, we will be trying another Inn or hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ctmike15
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I picked the place because we love Wedgwood. Carl and Nadine were warm and friendly. Our room had a Jacuzzi, fireplace, and of course TV and queen size bed. We were quite comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. We loved the atmosphere.

Room Tip: You can see the rooms on line and pick the one you want.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eileen B
bellmawr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have stayed at the Wedgewood, Aaron Burr and The Umbleby House many times. The owners, Nadine & Carl Glassman are the nicest people. Truly special. They make sure everything is just perfect. Every stay has been awesome. The rooms are lovely. Clean and cozy. Breakfast is outstanding. Can't wait to stay again which will be shortly. Can't stay away - I enjoy it so much. It's a great location. So much to do in the New Hope area. And so much within walking distance. I highly recommend these B & B's.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ellen k
Heathrow, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Was riding my motorcycle and needed a place to stay last minute in New Hope. Found the Wedgwood Inn. What an incredible place to stay. What incredible people. Beautiful room and beautiful place. So warm and friendly. Great location. Im really not related to these people but they make you feel like family. The part of the family you really like !!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank zedout
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We read great reviews, heard great things, so we decided to stay here. The lobby was lovely - the room was...terrible.

The wallpaper was peeling, the bed we were on was actually listing to the right. I ended up barely sleeping because I had to hold on to the mattress for dear life so I did not roll off. My husband never slept, afraid he would roll into me. The bathroom was clean, I think, but was so terribly water stained and colored it was impossible to tell. The room was incredibly stuffy and hot (in ALL fairness it was the hottest weekend of the year). But what was shocking is the fact that PA does get hot in the summer and the rooms are simply not equipped to handle the heat. At all.

The worst was the breakfast. We have been to several B&B's throughout the US. The breakfast is always decent and for those of us (me) with dietary issues, there are other options. Not here. Can't eat bread? Here's a boiled egg we boiled several days ago and kept in the fridge. You can have ONE to sub for all the bagels, pastries and toast you can't eat. Coffee? Like water. We just left and went to a place in town to eat.

Hands down, the worst place we have ever stayed for the money, and in my life I've stayed in hostels in the Middle East.

Room Tip: Get a room elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank stbride
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Last room available. Blinds torn, cracks in ceiling, shower head filthy. Upload photos of room was the yellow motif room. Very disappointing, cost to fix a window shade $5 - They couldnt bother for a room costing me $75

• Stayed September 2013
The Temperance House Inn
Logan Inn
Logan Inn
#7 of 19 in New Hope

Been to New Hope's 1870 Wedgwood Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!