“Awesome vegetarian cuisine in a very nice, relaxed setting”
Review of sprig and vine

sprig and vine
Ranked #10 of 94 Restaurants in New Hope
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Finally got to try Sprig and Vine after having missed out on eating there several times as the restaurant was closed,so be smarter than I was & check their web site for opening hours. Now, I am just sad that I've not tried this earlier, I'll definitely be back. This restaurant stands for everything a good vegetarian restaurant should embrace; making affordable, sustainable and high quality dishes which would be hard to match with your own home cooking.This is refined yet accessible vegetarian food which will not leave you hungry or dissatisfied. As my friends were running a little late,I started out with some nice local pickled vegetables. They were simply delicious, a great flavor profile, not overly acidic, really bringing out the subtle sweetness of the root vegetables, a simply great way to start the meal without being too full when my friends would arrive. Unlike my friends, I had a really hard time to decide, so I picked an appetizer and a salad for my main course. I had the grilled oyster mushroom appetizer and it was absolutely wonderful. That smoky BBQ flavor and the almost meaty texture of the shrooms was balanced wonderfully by the delicious slaw that came with it. The roasted radicchio salad was divine as well. The flavors were complex but really well balanced.
Overall, a simply wonderful meal, from the friendly wait staff over the cozy seating to the very reasonable pricing. I can't wait to take my husband to try it with me.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Probably the best vegetarian restaurant I’ve ever been too, at least in the last few years. We were three people and ordered several dishes and shared. Everything was delicious, and the prices were very reasonable. Our waitress was charming and attentive. I can only wish I lived closer, so I could visit on a regular basis.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We had Sunday brunch and loved the Biscuits and Gravy and the quinoa burger. Wonderful hot teas. The chef must write a cookbook, I never had such great fresh dishes with amazing flavors.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is solid advice from a twenty year vegan, full time foodie/chef who has catered for thousands of people, has consulted for several plant based restaurants and has owned plant based restaurants. So here's my story.

When I heard about Sprig and Vine I was uber excited. I had followed the story from the days of Horizon to the development of Sprig. Sprig was started by the Sous Chef of Horizons while Vedge was created by the Executive Chef. Blackbird Pizza and Hip City Vedge were also spin offs of Horizons. I have no affiliation with any of these places except that I'm a vegan.

Needless to say it has been my goal as a foodie and vegan of twenty plus years to experience all things vegan. I moved to the area in 2013 to work as a raw chef and consultant for a local national brand. Immediately I began trying the local vegan cuisine. Sprig and Vine was on a platform for me. I was sure it was going to be amazing, however the high prices were prohibitive (being a chef and former restaraunteer I know what price points are acceptable) and a turn off.

Eventually, my wife and I decided to make reservations and celebrate our anniversary at Sprig and Vine. We wanted to treat ourselves to amazing vegan fare and didn't mind spending the extra money due to the occasion. We arrived for our reservation (in which we informed the staff ahead of time about the special occasion) and were greeted as if we were a bother from the beginning.

Our waiter acted as he was above us. I tried to inform him of my background and tell him how excited I was to eat there, but he was rude and didn't seem to care. On top of that we were the only ones dining so he could have given his full attention to us.

We decided that we wanted to order starters, soup, salad and an entree. We asked for suggestions but the waiter seemed ill informed. We began with the mushroom starter. It was ok but was burnt, I presume it was supposed to "fire roasted" but they came off as burnt. After that we received our soups. We ordered one soup special and the house soup. Both were flavorless and tasted SOUR AS IF THEY WERE OLD. It was horrible. Next came our salad. The salad was fairly amazing, no complaints there. Finally our entree arrived.

When it first arrived the waiter brought out two of the same entrees. My wife and I are not over eaters so we typically order one entree and split it. We were specific about this but the waiter acted as if he didn't know we only wanted one entree. He then continued to "guilt trip" us hoping that we would keep one of the $23.00 corn dishes. We refused it.

The dish we got was the succotash. It was well plated, (as was all the food) but the ingredients were cheap (definitely not fresh or local as advertised) and the dish was once again flavorless. Basically I was paying $23.00 for frozen corn and Lima beans with fresh fire roasted tomatoes and grits. The entree was WAY OVERPRICED for what it was. It should have cost around $12.00. Had it cost less it may have been acceptable, barely. I thought to myself "if I was a meat eater I would think what a rip, charging me $23.00 for a side dish when steak costs me $23.00". This place gives Vegans a bad name and enforces the stereotypes about being snobs and overpriced.

We also ordered desert, which was the best part of the experience however I doubt that it was made on site.

In the end our bill was $78.00 for....

1 Appetizer
2 Soups
1 Salad
1 Entree
1 Desert

That was an outrage especially considering the lack of fresh ingredients, the lack of flavor, the small portions and the horrible service. This is also New Hope not New York. Needless to say, we didn't tip well.

Oh but here is the kicker.

The very next business day my wife called the owner and executive chef. Being that our background is in the restaurant industry we understood that not every meal on every night can be amazing. It happens so to say. She called to talk and ask for a gift certificate for half the bill. She said that we really wanted to love the place but had a bad experience. The owner/chef refused. WOW! In my experience, the customer is always right. How rude is it to not extend a gift certificate to a customer that had a bad experience? Now that's just bad business.

My advice

Save yourself the money and get real vegan fair for half the price somewhere else.

7  Thank Shae K
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This place is terrific. Enjoyed my dinner so much I returned the next day for lunch. The meal was just delicious and fresh. It provided an original take on classic meals but without the meat. The specials I sampled included a risotto cake with black beans and corn. And don't miss dessert.