“A Sense of Timelessness in New Hope”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mansion Inn

Mansion Inn
Ranked #18 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
New York
“A Sense of Timelessness in New Hope”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed at the Mansion Inn in New Hope earlier this month. In the current prevailing economic climate , in our era of "staycations" we had put aside all plans involving planes and great expense and opted this summer instead to treat ourselves to a long weekend. We wanted somewhere accessible (we live in NYC) but also wanted to it to be special and really offer a "get away from it all". In perusing various options we decided to go back to New Hope. We had passed through last fall while visiting some of the local vineyards and by chance had lunched at the Mansion Inn and had loved the Inn and had loved our brief glimpse of New Hope for what was a quick few hour visit.

We were so delighted on our choice. The Mansion Inn is breathtaking , its seems like it was transplanted from New Orleans and by day or night its romantic architecture is inviting and alluring - I believe the hotel was built over a 100 years ago but it has been painstaking taken care off with no whiff of selling out. The new owners , one of who was there that weekend explained their vision in keeping with its history and tradition and all decisions and even their repainting of the dining room goes through "what's appropriate" and "what's in keeping with its history". Local art work adorned the walls of both the resteraunt and their indoor cocktail bar.

The bedrooms are spacious with four poster beds giving way to living room areas. We were shown three and choose one my wife liked best "The Warrick" - but immediately noticed there is no cookie cutter at work here. Each room we saw is unique , decorated around its own theme - all of them historical - The Warrick , The Windsor , The Hampton Court etc. We chose The Warrick which was wonderfully bright and cheerful and we slept well under the mass of duvets and endless pillows.

New Hope as it turns out is a town with a great culinary tradition (who knew ? and 90mins from NYC) and the Mansion Inn takes its reputation very seriously. I was delighted to see local wines and cheeses feature on the menu and loved their Friday Tapas menu (pick any three items for $20 !! .... they also do a fab pre fix dinner menu during the week (which sadly we missed). The food was delicious , creative , well presented and I felt well priced. The staff was friendly , knowledgeable and there was a good buzz on property all weekend.

New Hope has many dining options from more formal , to take out , to your typical bar fare. The Mansion Inn seems to cater to all tastes easily and part of the fun was the cross section of people eating , drinking and staying there.You can dine in the more formal dining room , chill out on the porch or laze away on the patio listening to some live music. Dress code is as you see fit and there are no airs and graces.

New Hope itself is wonderful , walk able , manageable , perfect long weekend , do nothing , go to a vineyard , do nothing , go to the theatre (the wonderful Bucks County playhouse) , do nothing , walk around town , do nothing ......

We hated when Sunday evening came (they let us check out late) , the drive back was "ah well back to reality" but we will go back and hopefully soon ....... what a wonderful escape !

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Irisheyes69

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

While the outside of the Mansion Inn is beautiful, the inside left
something to be desired--the inn is understandably old and needs
updating. The bathroom needed a good cleaning, as it smelled a bit
moldy. But it's the owner who needs a lesson in hospitality--she was
cold and rude, answering questions in a curt, unfriendly manner, as if
she was being imposed on. For $375 a night, you'd expect more courtesy
and professionalism. That said, the food at the restaurant is very
good--as somebody else suggested, maybe it'd be a good idea if the
owner focused on that and left the hospitality to others.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank georgiaokeefe
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2008

My wife and I have stayed in New Hope / Lambertville for a romantic getaway once or twice a year for the last three years. We have stayed in several different places in both towns, but the reviews that I have always heard and read about the Mansion inn made us want to try it even more. When you stay in a place that is very highly rated and won awards, you expect a lot. Sometimes places tend to rest on their laurels, and sometimes the economy catches up to them. I think it was a little of both at the Mansion inn for our stay. We stayed in the “Kensington suite”. It is on the second floor of the garden cottage in the backyard. The room was very pretty and cozy. We turned on the gas fireplace and had a nice glass of champagne. We went to peddler’s village and then returned for our dinner reservation right in the Mansion inns dining room. As always it was very good, but I was disappointed when our waiter, John, told us that my favorite dish, the “veal Wellington” was taken off the menu for cost reasons. It was pricey and with the economy the way it is, I guess I could understand removing a pricey item, although that was my treat to myself that I looked forward to!
After our show at the Bucks county playhouse, we went back to our room, and the only minimal complaint I have is the mattress was very hard and somewhat lumpy. I happen to look at the mattress tag and it was circ 1996. The next morning we went to brunch and there was not much of a selection whatsoever. The only cereal to choose from was “cheerios”. Only one fruit put out, honeydew melon (which I’m not a fan of) and some sliced cheese and muffins, and assorted beverages. Being we frequent Bed & Breakfasts, we were very disappointed by the selection. The innkeeper on duty said they “used” to serve hot breakfast, but were being health conscious for their guests”. ….Translated means they are cutting their costs and my selections. I think I’m capable of not taking the hot waffle with bacon if I need to watch my diet, but let that be my choice. Even if they had some granola and yogurt, I would have been happy. We did have to cut our trip short a day due to our son being sick at home, so I did want to relay my disappointments to the owner, who, to her credit, did call me back. She said she would compensate us for breakfast “The next time” we came. In my opinion, if she is looking for guests to return, she should have done right by us and compensated us for this now, because to be honest, I would have gone back if she did. Not doing right by us just made us decide to try another place when we go back again. All-in all, nothing major to complain about, clean rooms, guest parking in the back, and you’re on Main Street. A lot of positives, but not enough to want to make us go back.

• Liked — Being secluded away from the main building
  • Disliked — The mattress,very hard.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank Bedandbreakfastfan43
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

We stayed at the Mansion Inn this past weekend and found it (as we have before) completely charming. We arrived too early for check in, so we dropped off our car, stopped to get a parking permit from the front desk from the friendly staff, and hit the streets to check out some of the local shops (Bliss, a jewelry shop, and Fifth Season, a home and garden store, were some of our favorites.) We also got lunch at Mother's restaurant (or Mom's?) and that was pleasant as well - nice food, not too expensive.)
After wearing ourselves out looking at all the shops and checking out the river views, we went back to the Mansion Inn to check in. We got our key, let ourselves into the room, and called them to let them know we were ready for our cheese and fruit plate and champange cocktail (which was lovely and beautifully presented.) The manager himself delivered it to our room, along with a bottle of sparkling water that my mom requested, being a non-drinker. We also really enjoyed the cookies placed on our pillows (on plates, and wrapped up, of course!)
We tried out the featherbed, which was fabulous and heavy (it was made up on top of the sheets, which we thought was a little strange - after talking to the hostess, we learned that during the winter they do it that way because people like to sleep under it - we slept on top, however.) The faux fireplace/space heater worked beautifully and I'm so glad they had this - it was a bit chilly the night we stayed there.
We had dinner at the restaurant that night, which was fabulous - has had lots of good reviews here so I don't think I need to get into it. At the end of dinner we mentioned we were staying at the B&B and asked the waiter if we could possibly get some more cookies since they were so good! He went and asked; and the chef ended up baking us some more. We also borrowed a DVD from their collection to watch in our room (and made sure to bring it back!)
Breakfast the next morning was simple but charming and completely adequate to our needs. There was fresh OJ and fruit, coffee and tea, pastries, and a choice of waffles, omlettes, or cereal - and were all made and served lovingly.
Nothing could have been better for our trip than the Mansion inn. The room was spacious and lovely, the location couldn't have been better, the food was great, and the staff made us feel like old friends.
All of that being said, remember - this is a bed and breakfast, NOT a hotel. There isn't an army of staff to watch over you, the number of rooms are limited and decorated for charecter rather than up to the minute sameness. Bed and breakfasts generally feel more like you are staying at a friends house - which we enjoy more.

• Liked — Friendly service, luxurious feel, good food
  • Disliked — Too cold to eat outside! I wish they'd put space heaters in the garden...
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JillShines
#7 of 19 in New Hope
The Inn at Bowman's Hill
The Inn at Bowman's Hill
#2 of 19 in New Hope

Been to Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!