“Skip this one!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Kensington
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Skip this one!”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I am from this area, and needed to stay in town for 3 nights to attend a funeral. Wish I had known about the Springhill Suites at Pittsburgh Mills, would have never stayed here! The place is a dump-hasn't been remodeled for many years and is really bad. All the a hallways smell like smoke and the front desk clerk cannot be found since she is usually out smoking by the pool on her cell phone. My tissues we left empty for all 3 days and the cleaning staff didn't bother to replenish or clean the small coffee pot in the room. Worst of all, my sheets were never changed in the 3 nights I stayed there. Move on, if you can!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank hiltonheadgal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Waterford, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I grew up in this area, (I am 62) and I don't know how they continue to stay in business, I suppose because there is no competition other than the Marriott at the Pittsburgh Mills. Proprietor needs to start spending some money and update this place or they will not last....spent 2 nites and I'm quite sure this hotel has not been rennovated since very early 70's when it was a Holiday Inn. The rate was $90 a nite and that was outrageous for a mid-week stay (a Wed and Thursday) and you don't even get a continental breakfast in the mornings to get your day started. We had a non-smoking room and unlike some other comments, there wasn't any stale smoke odor,just "old" smelling like grandmas house. I feel the rate for this room should have been around $90 both BOTH nites we stayed.

Room Tip: 1st floor near pool worked
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank immrstigger

Travellers are raving about these New Kensington hotels

virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We reserved 3 ground floor rooms and reserved them well in advance because two members of the party could not walk up stairs due knee defects and surgery. They gave away all the rooms and put us on the second floor. They had no elevator and were unsympathetic. Ice machines were always empty. They would send us to the bar when it was open. A/c didn't work. Hot water gone by 730 am. Second bed was dusty because it hadn't been used in so long. Gross all around

• Stayed June 2012
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed here for a out of town wedding, and will never return. Their were people playing football in the parking lot near everyone's cars with giving no respect to other peoples property. As the evening progressed, they started to play football in the hallways, and the entire hotel smelled like marijuana.
My husband called the front desk and was told that their was nothing they could do because they can not police what happens in rented rooms. So if your planning on breaking the law or want to cook some meth get a room here.
My kids asked a few times, whats that smell - unbelievable the staff was horrible, their security was a joke, and the other guests were very very rude.

Room Tip: Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room - stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We just arrived home from a weekend stay at the Clarion for a high school sporting event in town. We arrived late, 11pm, and were greeted by friendly desk people. The check-in process was fast and easy. We proceeded to our room through hallways where we found all carpet lifting from the floor. We did not venture to the second floor so I can't say whether the carpet is the same upstairs. The carpet is a major trip hazard and I hope no one falls before the dangerous situation is remedied. We arrived in our room and found a terrible smell; musty and damp. We turned the AC on to try to get some air circulating. It took the edge off the odor but it remained throughout our stay. Sad, but we almost got used to it because when we did venture out and came back, the smell shocked us upon our return. Our room appeared old but it was clean. We had plenty of towels. The beds were okay; we've had better and worse. The pillows are small but there were a few extra on the beds. The refrigerator did not get cold so we put on drinks in the freezer. The gym facilities appeared sufficient but the odor took our breath away when we entered so we left right away. There were towels in the room but no cleansing wipes to wipe down equipment like I've seen at other hotels. The hotel location is perfect for anything you may want to do in town. We did not eat at the restaurant. The pool is not open this time of year but it appears to be in a good location on the grounds. It's surprising to see the commendations hanging by the hotel desk because in any average larger city, this hotel would receive very poor marks. Being this is the "only game in town", its the only hotel you have to choose from if you want the best location in New Kensington. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Bradford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Despite the negative reviews of this hotel, I recently stayed here mostly because of its close proximity to an event that I was in. Check in was ok, but I noticed the odd smell that others have commented on. The hallways are well lit but the carpet is starting to come up. The room itself is average. The bathroom is not overly large, but adequate and clean. The "office" chair was broke and almost unusable! The air conditioner fan was so loud that I didn't even turn it on. They have not updated to flat screen, and the internet service was slow. There is no refrigerator or microwave in the room that I was in. They do have a rather large outdoor pool. The entire hotel is a littel dated and needs some tender loving care! I would stay here again only because of the close proximity of friends.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Cincinnati
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I wish I would have known to read about these reviews prior to my trip. We were in the hotel on 10/28 and 10/29, 2011. We arrived late (after 11pm) and obviously, the night auditor was on duty. She never looked up until I said..."Excuse me...we need to check in" She took my credit card, had me initial the paperwork, and then said, "You are in room 207. We don't have an elevator" My husband had our items on a cart and I was on crutches. NICE! We stepped into the stairwell and were appalled and repulsed by the stench of smoke and the scattered cigarette butts covering the steps. Couldn't wait to get to our non-smoking room...I think they just designated it non-smoking that day! It was worse than the hallway! Cigarette burns on the comforters, pillows smelled, towels smelled, etc...We were so tired and knew there wasn't a lot around there so we went on to bed. The next morning, the cleanliness and age of the bathroom became apparent. Grossed out but left for the day. On Sunday, when we went to check out, again, no comment from the staff until I said..."We need to check out" Obviously, she didn't ask how everything was...she knew the answer. Her only comment to me was "Do you need a receipt?" While I was waiting, I noticed the back wall, 1/2 of it covered with "VOTED #1 IN CUSTOMER SERVICE" "100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEED" None of these signs had dates...and who knows who gave them out...but I was determined to let Choice Hotels know. Upon arrival at home, I got onto the Choice Hotels site to process a comment and get them to contact me...that was 10/30/11...received a reply that I would hear from them within 72 hours. It is now, 11/3 and I am still waiting...NEVER EVER AGAIN at this hotel and if I don't hear something soon...I will never use a Choice Hotel. RUN! RUN! It is worth the extra driving to stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel! BEWARE...price is a pretty good indicator of quality!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Quality Inn & Suites North
Comfort Inn Conference Center
Comfort Inn Conference Center
#56 of 71 in Pittsburgh

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!