“Large hotel, but no refr or microwave”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Kensington
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed here for 1 night to race at Westmoreland BMX in Apollo PA. This was the closest hotel that I could find that took pets.

This is a massively large hotel with multiple entrances. Even had a restaurant onsite. Grocery was nearby.

The room with double beds was large. Was disappointed there was no refrigerator or microwave. Almost seems like those are standard now in the hotels I stay in. So was a bit surprised not to find one. Beds were decent. Could have used more plug outlets, but then found a plug line on the floor for the tv and moved it to be of use to charge phones, etc.

The AC did keep the room cold. But no thermostat. So it was either on or off. Which I don't like for noise level for sleeping. Did sleep fine.

The bathroom was a bit small. I am 6'2" and the person with me was 5'2". She said, the counter is so low I feel like a tall person. And the towel rack is up so high I can't hardly reach it. So was odd.

No complaints really for the room. However, the Kensington Restaurant that is part of the hotel I do have complaints about. They had a prime rib special going on from 6-9. We got to the restaurant at 8:55 p.m., and I expected to still be able to get the prime rib. It took a good 5+ minutes to be seated as the restaurant was empty and no one was around. Had to go looking. And then finally got seated. The waitress said they had put away the prime rib awhile ago. So that seemed wrong. If it goes until 9, it should be available until 9. Had the poached salmon that was good. But no carb was offered with it. So was not a good value. The Kensington Special, which said a stuffed meatball, was not stuffed, but the spinach and cheese was just put on top. The noodles tasted bland and the meatball was not that good. The waitress offered to give us a to-go box as the person hardly ate it. But of course we had no refrig or microwave in the room, so what the heck? Service as extremely slow. And our waters were never refilled. Debated about eating here for breakfast as we had a time schedule to meet.

Ate at Kinsington again for breakfast. But almost left to go find the Denny's as again, service was extremely slow and poor!!! And prices for juice, $2.78 for a small orange juice? That is a complete rip off. It was 1/2 the cost of a meal. Breakfast was nothing special really. Just so so. But convenient since on site. Would have been better if we could have put our breakfast order in the night before to have it ready at a certain time that morning as we had a schedule to keep.

Was disappointed breakfast was not included in the price of the stay. Again, many places do offer breakfast included.

So poor rating based on no refr, no microwave, no breakfast included, and so so restaurant with poor/slow service.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 158 on the first floor. Was close to parking. Noise level was typical.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank oquick1

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I am a road warrior, single female. Absolutely do not stay here. The condition of this hotel should be $30-40/night. Surprised it is not by the hour. It is horrendous. Inside rooms; however, the outside doors do not have keys to them, so anyone could get you. The customers are a mix. Breakfast is not included in this price. Rugs torn and actually unglued throughout the hallway. I'm surprised they have not been replaced due to being sued by people tripping and falling. (nurse here) Bathroom caulk cracked, fixtures poor condition. Linens appear clean (wrinkled), but did find a 'hair' on my wash cloth. Good TV (RCA) and the front desk employees are nice so far. I asked for a refrigerator and was told my room rate did not include one and they don't have one to bring me. Was told the carpets are to be replaced (carpet on location?) but does not help how it is, today. You should drive any amount versus staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not pick one at all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and were disappointed with the room and hotel due to cleanliness and disrepair of rugs in hallway, broken dressers in rooms, and filthy laundry area.
We thought after a year they would have done some repairs after we stated our unhappiness with the manage. Guess what, rugs still need replacement, we had to look at three rooms before we found one worth staying in. If there was another hotel in New Kensington we would not stay here. Fitness room has equipment that does not work and when I went to ask for a new light bulb for a lamp in the room they did not have anyone who could get me one. This hotel needs to be closed and completely renovated. This used to be a top rated clean hotel. What happened??? We decided to stay here and give it another chance as we did not want to travel 15 miles everyday to visit with our family. We certainly made the wrong decision. We should have stayed at the Marriott at Pittsburgh Mills and traveled. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I am from this area, and needed to stay in town for 3 nights to attend a funeral. Wish I had known about the Springhill Suites at Pittsburgh Mills, would have never stayed here! The place is a dump-hasn't been remodeled for many years and is really bad. All the a hallways smell like smoke and the front desk clerk cannot be found since she is usually out smoking by the pool on her cell phone. My tissues we left empty for all 3 days and the cleaning staff didn't bother to replenish or clean the small coffee pot in the room. Worst of all, my sheets were never changed in the 3 nights I stayed there. Move on, if you can!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank hiltonheadgal
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I grew up in this area, (I am 62) and I don't know how they continue to stay in business, I suppose because there is no competition other than the Marriott at the Pittsburgh Mills. Proprietor needs to start spending some money and update this place or they will not last....spent 2 nites and I'm quite sure this hotel has not been rennovated since very early 70's when it was a Holiday Inn. The rate was $90 a nite and that was outrageous for a mid-week stay (a Wed and Thursday) and you don't even get a continental breakfast in the mornings to get your day started. We had a non-smoking room and unlike some other comments, there wasn't any stale smoke odor,just "old" smelling like grandmas house. I feel the rate for this room should have been around $90 both BOTH nites we stayed.

Room Tip: 1st floor near pool worked
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank immrstigger
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We reserved 3 ground floor rooms and reserved them well in advance because two members of the party could not walk up stairs due knee defects and surgery. They gave away all the rooms and put us on the second floor. They had no elevator and were unsympathetic. Ice machines were always empty. They would send us to the bar when it was open. A/c didn't work. Hot water gone by 730 am. Second bed was dusty because it hadn't been used in so long. Gross all around

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed here for a out of town wedding, and will never return. Their were people playing football in the parking lot near everyone's cars with giving no respect to other peoples property. As the evening progressed, they started to play football in the hallways, and the entire hotel smelled like marijuana.
My husband called the front desk and was told that their was nothing they could do because they can not police what happens in rented rooms. So if your planning on breaking the law or want to cook some meth get a room here.
My kids asked a few times, whats that smell - unbelievable the staff was horrible, their security was a joke, and the other guests were very very rude.

Room Tip: Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room - stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Kensington
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills
Comfort Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Allegheny Valley
Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh-North (Harmarville)

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!