“Disappointing But Not For Lack of Trying”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Kensington
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Another business trip and if the choice were up to me I wouldn't stay at the Clarion Hotel in New Kensington, PA. I get the impression that it is a family run hotel and the front desk staff was not very professional. My room was on the upper floor (no elevator) and grouped with other rooms where there were "long term" tenants staying. Noise was a factor, there was mold in the air conditioning and a big *ss bug crawled right across the bed while I was on the phone - this was just the first five minutes.

The restaurant is great with good food and nice staff - that is the only saving grace for this property.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank GenealogyNinja
Jeff S, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for failing to meet expectations on aspects of your stay.

Our entire team is dedicated to offering superb guest service, and we will certainly utilize your feedback as we continue to seek out opportunities to improve the guest experience

We hope that you will give us an opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have stayed here maybe three times prior and always thought it was pretty bad, but this time took it to a new level. We checked in and when to the room only to find it still dirty from the previous people. Went back to the desk, gave us another room, this on had wall paper falling off the wall with black mold all over. Them finally got a barely acceptable room. Against my better judgment we ate at the restaurant there and the prime rib was terrible, the rest of the food us un-edible. The place was dirty, the halls were dirty, They did have a sign that they were renovating but run a vacuum once in a while. the stairs were dirty. Not a good place at all. They also had a lot of employees from a company called "Clean Harbors" staying there as they were last year when we were there. They were a little noisy and scary. There were also dogs barking in some of the rooms. Done!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdyak49157
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We only stay here because it is the only hotel that accepts a pet in the area where our relatives are. Baths outdated, no exterior door locks, rooms with refrigs are all occupied by contractors. Carpets lumpy/dangerous, halls reek of tobacco.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank bhk12
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was in the area on business and stayed here after having an issue with another motel. I did not have an opportunity to look at these reviews before checking in or it wouldn't have happened. After taxes, the AAA rate came to $85. Most other area properties are getting at least $70 per night, so I guess everyone charges this because they can get away with it. This rate did NOT include any type of breakfast or coffee in the morning ("We have a restaurant that opens at 7.") and did not include a microwave or fridge in the room ("We do have some, but they are all filled and that would also raise your rate.") The desk clerk was nice enough to warm my dinner in "her" microwave, which is not accessible to guests. I did receive the advertised wifi signal in my room, but was never able to log on there despite my numerous attempts and tricks. I was able to get online with a sporadic signal after I walked the laptop to the lobby. As I was leaving my room for the lobby, I was confronted by a male drunk who had apparently left the lounge and was just roaming the halls after urinating on another guy's truck. The clerk called the police after receiving numerous complaints about him and he was subsequently arrested. My bed WAS very comfortable and I slept well, but one should expect that at any property at any rate. The place is certainly showing its age and lots of wear. It's obscene that this place charges what it does for what you receive. I will drive far and wide to find another place to stay if I ever return to the area again. I will not stay another night here and suggest that you avoid it as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rick D
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed here for 1 night to race at Westmoreland BMX in Apollo PA. This was the closest hotel that I could find that took pets.

This is a massively large hotel with multiple entrances. Even had a restaurant onsite. Grocery was nearby.

The room with double beds was large. Was disappointed there was no refrigerator or microwave. Almost seems like those are standard now in the hotels I stay in. So was a bit surprised not to find one. Beds were decent. Could have used more plug outlets, but then found a plug line on the floor for the tv and moved it to be of use to charge phones, etc.

The AC did keep the room cold. But no thermostat. So it was either on or off. Which I don't like for noise level for sleeping. Did sleep fine.

The bathroom was a bit small. I am 6'2" and the person with me was 5'2". She said, the counter is so low I feel like a tall person. And the towel rack is up so high I can't hardly reach it. So was odd.

No complaints really for the room. However, the Kensington Restaurant that is part of the hotel I do have complaints about. They had a prime rib special going on from 6-9. We got to the restaurant at 8:55 p.m., and I expected to still be able to get the prime rib. It took a good 5+ minutes to be seated as the restaurant was empty and no one was around. Had to go looking. And then finally got seated. The waitress said they had put away the prime rib awhile ago. So that seemed wrong. If it goes until 9, it should be available until 9. Had the poached salmon that was good. But no carb was offered with it. So was not a good value. The Kensington Special, which said a stuffed meatball, was not stuffed, but the spinach and cheese was just put on top. The noodles tasted bland and the meatball was not that good. The waitress offered to give us a to-go box as the person hardly ate it. But of course we had no refrig or microwave in the room, so what the heck? Service as extremely slow. And our waters were never refilled. Debated about eating here for breakfast as we had a time schedule to meet.

Ate at Kinsington again for breakfast. But almost left to go find the Denny's as again, service was extremely slow and poor!!! And prices for juice, $2.78 for a small orange juice? That is a complete rip off. It was 1/2 the cost of a meal. Breakfast was nothing special really. Just so so. But convenient since on site. Would have been better if we could have put our breakfast order in the night before to have it ready at a certain time that morning as we had a schedule to keep.

Was disappointed breakfast was not included in the price of the stay. Again, many places do offer breakfast included.

So poor rating based on no refr, no microwave, no breakfast included, and so so restaurant with poor/slow service.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 158 on the first floor. Was close to parking. Noise level was typical.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank oquick1
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I am a road warrior, single female. Absolutely do not stay here. The condition of this hotel should be $30-40/night. Surprised it is not by the hour. It is horrendous. Inside rooms; however, the outside doors do not have keys to them, so anyone could get you. The customers are a mix. Breakfast is not included in this price. Rugs torn and actually unglued throughout the hallway. I'm surprised they have not been replaced due to being sued by people tripping and falling. (nurse here) Bathroom caulk cracked, fixtures poor condition. Linens appear clean (wrinkled), but did find a 'hair' on my wash cloth. Good TV (RCA) and the front desk employees are nice so far. I asked for a refrigerator and was told my room rate did not include one and they don't have one to bring me. Was told the carpets are to be replaced (carpet on location?) but does not help how it is, today. You should drive any amount versus staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not pick one at all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and were disappointed with the room and hotel due to cleanliness and disrepair of rugs in hallway, broken dressers in rooms, and filthy laundry area.
We thought after a year they would have done some repairs after we stated our unhappiness with the manage. Guess what, rugs still need replacement, we had to look at three rooms before we found one worth staying in. If there was another hotel in New Kensington we would not stay here. Fitness room has equipment that does not work and when I went to ask for a new light bulb for a lamp in the room they did not have anyone who could get me one. This hotel needs to be closed and completely renovated. This used to be a top rated clean hotel. What happened??? We decided to stay here and give it another chance as we did not want to travel 15 miles everyday to visit with our family. We certainly made the wrong decision. We should have stayed at the Marriott at Pittsburgh Mills and traveled. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Quality Inn & Suites North
Quality Inn Royle
Quality Inn Royle
#2 of 2 in Kittanning

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!