“Believe the bad reviews! Awful!”

New Stanton Garden Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in New Stanton
“Believe the bad reviews! Awful!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It was 4 am we had just made a 26 hour drive with two big dogs. I wish we would of looked at the room before paying. It was disgusting! The tub didn't drain as we showered so we had to shower while standing in one another's dirty water. The water was either ice cold or scalding hot. The comforter had cigarette burns all through it. The room smelt like mold and cigarette smoke. We did ask for a nonsmoking room by the way. The lady at the front desk was rude and quite strange. No customer service what so ever! It is not hard to please me but this place was a total dump! And not at all worth 90$ do not stay here!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Ddell0405

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I believe this is one of the first HoJos ever built.... at least it looks like it. The rooms are old. They aren't falling apart, yet, and they are fairly clean, considering how old they are. Also, they are roomy and wi-fi was good.

BUT, the heating unit in the room is NOT a heating unit. It is an A/C unit that has a heat strip, and IS NOT meant to heat the whole room. This is from the LG website: "the unit cannot be used as a main source of heat in a room/home; it only has a heating "strip" which does not allow it to work as an actual heater." Unfortunately, this is the only heat source in these rooms. Result: An unbelievably freezing cold room when it is 7º outside. My husband slept in his clothes. On the second night, we got additional blankets (worn and thin) which helped. But make no mistake... we still slept with two tees, pajama pants and two pairs of socks. AND, the beds, pillows, and blankets are terrible.

Why did we stay, you ask? There are only two hotels in the area that accept dogs. We stayed at the other one last time we were in the area, and I will take a cold, clean, old room over a room with mold and smells like cigarettes any day.

I suppose it would be okay if it's nice out. :(

Oh, and two quick notes- First, this hotel has changed names, now The Garden Inn, but has NOT changed ownership, so don't think it might be better because of the name change. They just dropped their association with Howard Johnson's. Second, although I read a lot about bad customer service, the night clerk, Gary, was awesome. There were many issues this weekend with the changeover, including them not having our reservation, but he worked through as much as he could with us. I would have given this hotel a much worse rating if it wasn't for his help.

Room Tip: Only go here if you don't need heat or a great bed.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these New Stanton hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We left because the heat wasn't working and it was freezing. We got there at 2 AM with two kids and a cat. To get a heated room we had to load up our car and drive to another building so by 4 AM we just asked for our money back. The room was cold, stained, gritty feel, smelling like the 30 years of smoke, a wall plug was oddly exposed. the bed covers looked about 20 years old and were too thin for a very cold room. the woman at the front desk was mean and acted like were annoying her by being alive. believe the reviews and either drive on or get another place. it's gross and they don't care about customers. they should charge $25 per night for this kind of dump. I'll never stay at a howard johnson again. gross.

Room Tip: if you want a good room, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 December 2013

One of my worst customer service industry experiences ever. The desk clerk was not professional at all. I'm a pretty open person, but cover up a bit more please. When I arrived, I requested to view a room-because I had not seen pictures. The look of disgust was immediately evident on her face. We traded my ID for a room key. Reluctantly, she obliged. The room smelled odd, and the common areas were not much better. Overall, I just had a bad feeling about it. When i went back to the desk, she initially refused to return my ID, telling me that I had made a reservation and that the room was mine. If i chose to leave, my "card" would be charged. Funny, I never actually gave them a card. After a yelling match, the desk clerk released my ID and I walked out the door. This hotel, gets 0 stars for service, 1 star for accommodations.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

The motel was clean and I got a good nights rest. It is old and needs to be updated. The price was right and I was tired. The area is busy with trucks but was quiet in the room. There are plenty of places to eat in the area as well as laundry mats etc. its just a short drive to westmoreland community college.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Seasidehandy
Beverly
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I booked on line through Howard Johnson site & was given description of room I had reserved it included refrigerator & microwave. The room I was given did not have this. Then when I returned to the room for the night, it was very cold & I discovered the heat was not working in the room. The refrigerator & microwave I could deal with but not heat. I was given another room but with protest. I ironically, this room had refrigerator & microwave. I said, "oh now I get the room I booked?" There was NO hot water either. I ended up leaving a day earlier because this place was a nightmare.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Donegal
Hampton Inn Belle Vernon
Hampton Inn Belle Vernon
#1 of 7 in Belle Vernon

Been to New Stanton Garden Inn? Share your experiences!