I always wanted to stay at this Howard Johnson Inn because sooner or later it will be bulldozed and replaced with a cookie-cutter motel. Traveling the east coast corridor between NJ and Florida in the late 1960’s/early 1970’s, I remember the orange roofed restaurants next door to the HJ Lodge or Inn. The rooms were always huge and there was a patio or balcony with 2 lounge chairs. The pool was Olympic sized and we could look forward to a decent meal and ice cream for dessert.
Today, usually staying at a HoJo you just never know what your going to get. HoJo is just a name today - a franchise with easy standards to follow. You can take the name and plaster it on any cookie-cutter motel you want to. Honestly, the corporate company that owns the franchise system should just retire the HJ name because its not the same anymore. I will go farther and retire Ramada Inn and Days Inn - names that meant quality in their glory years under private ownership.
The New Stanton, Pa Howard Johnson motel - built in 1960 is pretty old already. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not falling apart, it was clean, and I didn’t notice any long term residents. The owner was pleasant and we talked about the golden years of HJ. I requested a king room far from the pool. My room had a microwave and mini-fridge, cable with 78 channels and the old style table and 2 chairs. Yes I’m spoiled since I rather have either a recliner or lounge chair with ottoman. The old Westinghouse air conditioner kept the room cold, though a bit noisy for some I rather have it that way to drown out noise - which there was none even though the place was packed. Original HJ motels like New Stanton’s were very sound-proof, constructed of cement walls and floors. Everything worked except the free wireless internet. The signal was there but it just didn’t connect. I called the front desk and he agreed that there was a problem but it was something beyond his control. If I was staying more than one night it would have been a problem for me. My room also had a patio with 2 plastic chairs.
There is a self-service laundry available, and continental breakfast was served in a former guest room. Basic fare along with a hot waffles. The coffee was the best I ever tasted at a motel. The HJ restaurant is long gone, replaced by a Sheetz gas station. But there are plenty of fast-food joints within walking distance along with an Eat-n-Park restaurant across the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Stanton Garden Inn is a few miles from top attractions such as Fort Ligonier, Laurel Caverns, Ohiopyle White Water Rafting and Idlewild Amusement Park. Seton Hill University is 17 minutes’ drive from the property. All American Paintball Park is 14 miles away. Westinghouse, Itron and General Nuclear Corporation are within 2 miles of the New Stanton Garden Inn. Hotel amenities at the New Stanton Garden Inn include a free breakfast, business center, free high-speed wireless internet access, and free parking. Other hotel features are guest laundry facilities and pets are always welcome with an additional $20 fee. All guest rooms are well equipped with free high-speed internet access, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, alarm clock radio, iron and board, cable TV with HBO, and individually controlled heat and air conditioning. Deluxe rooms with jacuzzi tubs are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your New Stanton Garden Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn New Stanton Hotel New Stanton
- Howard Johnson New Stanton
- New Stanton Howard Johnson
- New Stanton Garden Inn Pennsylvania