“What a nice evening!”

The Temperance House Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newtown
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Went to the Temperance and had a quiet evening. Smoke is kind of a factor, but if you eat in the adjacent room it's nice. Our server Maria was so patient with us and friendly. Nice girl.

We ordered, the pork was not over cooked. Drinks came fast. The bar was filled with many types of special drinks. Vegetables were not soggy or dripping with grease. Oh, try the clams. The sauce was amazing!

Overall, just a release and relaxing evening. I will try the groupon next.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tee H
temphouse, Owner at The Temperance House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you very much for your positive comments. We work hard to offer delicious food and friendly, efficient service, and I'm so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Strongly adivse not staying at this hotel on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday as they have a live band that lierally rocks the rooms until 1am then the cleaning crew blast the juke box until 4:30am! Could here every word in the bar/tavern in the vent system. Miserably night after traveling a long way and no place to have breakfast in the morning. The tavern seems to be the focus of this businees so if you want to sleep you better stay next door at The Brick House.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
temphouse, General Manager at The Temperance House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

We have read comments and are disappointed and bewildered with your review. Upon check-in on your 3 night stay, I'm sure you were aware of the restaurant, entertainment, and tavern that are attached to the hotel. We strive to make every customer happy and would have moved you that night or one of the other 2 nights you were there to a room that would have been more secluded. Our staff takes pride on resolving any issue when it occurs and this could certainly have been remedied while you were with us. We do not hide the fact that we are a cigar-friendly tavern with live entertainment with a NON-smoking restaurant and inn. We do encourage you to stay with us again, in one of our 3rd floor suites. We would also suggest that most business people appreciate ANY type of feedback and would like to respond immediately-not after the fact over the Internet .Please call me directly to make arrangements so I can accommodate our requests.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I had A Groupon so I decided to take my mother to visit the Temperance House for dinner. We tried it once before for lunch with dissapointing results. WOW. Dinner was head and shoulders above the past experience. SO yummy, delicious, a varied menu, good service, etc. We had the edamame appatizer, french onion soup, and spicy shrimp soup. All OUT OF THIS WORLD., My filet with mushrooms and french fries was done perfectly and melted in my mouth. My mother loved her coconut margarita and her stuffed chicken breasts. The place is great for celebrations, a date, or a family meal. Quiet, clean, and with attentive staff. We give this place all 5 stars for a dinner meal!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We rented out the entire Temperance House Inn to accomodate our guests traveling in for the reception that we had there. We had 11 rooms reserved and they were all unique and beautiful. The Inn is located right on State Street, so that when you walk out the front door you can walk to any number of restaurants, boutiques, and historical sites around the borough.

Our room had a large king bed, lots of windows so that the room felt light & airy (and excellent shades so we could sleep in if we wanted), flat screen tv, hair dryer in the bathroom, living room area, etc. It was like staying at a Bed&Breakfast but with all the amenities we've gotten used to at big-name hotels.

The Temperance House did an amazing job updating the rooms to a modern standard while keeping that old-world elegance and feel to them. We felt pampered during our stay there and hope to visit again.

Room Tip: Stay in the Edward Hicks room - it's romantic!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2011

They're always accommodating. (I've stayed there 6 times over the past year.
I smoke cigars and love the 200 year old tavern...non-smokers will not be pleased. The rooms are unique and way better than any of the local
chain hotels.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 22 May 2011

My wife and I hosted our 30th birthday celebration at the Temperance House last night and all we can say is “WOW”!

For the party we rented out the dining area, which was set-up very nicely for the number of guests we had. The raw oysters were amongst the best I have ever had and the prime-rib carving station was fantastic. It would be amazing if they would add these oysters to their regular menu. The food was so good that the party basically ate every last drop (and it was certainly plentiful). Everyone who attended could not believe what a great job the wait staff did as every time you turned around they were ready to take your next drink order. I could not thank them enough and felt no reserves of tipping over the typical 20% it was that superb.

After the party we made our way into the tavern area and listened to the live band, which was really fun. We stayed overnight in the Edward Hick’s room, which is beautiful and has a very comfortable bed. The views overlook historic State Street, although the windows are a bit small, and the floors are all the original pine hardwoods. There is also a nice sitting area with a large LCD TV, which came in handy to watch the Preakness before the party began. There is also a large gas fireplace, which would be neat during the winter time.

When we first decided to have a dinner & cocktail party for 30-35 people we contacted many local establishments such as The Logan Inn, Black Bass Hotel, Stockton Inn, Washington Crossing Inn, etc. After last night I can certainly say that we made the right choice even though I’m sure the other Inns would have been very nice.

From check-in to check-out management and the wait staff really went out of their way to make us all feel welcome. Even though we live close by in Bensalem, we will definitely be staying overnight again. Their slogan is “The Best of Bucks” and after last night, I could not argue with this.

Room Tip: Edward Hick's room is the best one.
  • Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank JosephArbeiter
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed in the Hicks room (#1) which had a king size bed and seating area and very, very small bathroom. When booking the room I was told this was their nicest room and again a waitress reiterated that 'Oh, that's one of our nicest rooms."
I regret not checking tripadvisor which was unusual for me, but the biggest complaints I have are ones that have been mentioned previously. The tavern allows smoking and seems packed with everyone in the area who can no longer smoke inside at other establishments. My hair smelled like smoke after only a few moments walking through it and the smoke smell permeated our room.
The tavern also had live music which also is extremely audible in the rooms. Coincidentally when booking the room, I was told it was overlooking Sate Street, so I actually asked if it was noisy and was told it was not! Not only could we hear the band playing, we also heard the front door slamming closed and the heating unit cycling on and off. Also street noise of cars and buses starting and stopping was easily loud enough to wake me up.
The bathroom was tiny and not quaint at all. It had a fiberglass shower enclosure and a tiny pedestal sink with little space for makeup/toiletries and little elbow room for drying hair. The hot water was not existent the first night and we had to run it for some time in the morning to get hot enough water to shower.
The room did have a gas fireplace (they lost the remote control for that). The king size bed was comfortable, but the pillows were flat.
No one was at the desk when we left, so we just left our keys on the desk and walked out!

The location is good, but the management does not seem to pay attention to the Inn's best qualities (history, wide plank floors, decent sized rooms) with the service or upkeep to bring customers back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yankeemom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtown
The Brick Hotel
The Brick Hotel
#3 of 3 in Newtown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newtown - Langhorne, PA
Hampton Inn & Suites Newtown
Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel

Been to The Temperance House Inn? Share your experiences!