“you are surprised how popular this hidden away Japanese restaurant is.”

Ota-ya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 85 Restaurants in Newtown
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bradenton, Florida
“you are surprised how popular this hidden away Japanese restaurant is.”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Ota-ya competes VERY well with two other Japanese restaurants in Newtown. Food is good and prices are reasonable. Service was very prompt on a very busy Saturday night although we did have to wait even though we had a reservation.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Olewahoo

New York, NY
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

One of the best BYOB places for sushi, if not the best, that we've ever been to. My hubby and i are regulars at this small, casual place tucked in the middle of a small strip mall. The board specials are inspired, not at all atypical of sushi. The rolls are easily thin layers of fish on fish on fish, instead of fish on rice. Sometimes though, there would be some rice on the roll when there shouldnt be. I wonder if they are just running low on fish that day? Regardless, the food quality, the service and the value is excellent. We started going here as a couple, and have now shared this experience with more than 20 friends, who all agree it is an exceptional experience!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank rowing1
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous sushi, nicely priced.”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This is a 'must go to' restaurant whenever I am in Newtown. Not smart but great food and great value. Much cheaper than the other sushi venue in town and in my opinion much nicer sushi.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Trish M
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Usually great but not this time”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant numerous times and have always got great service and good food. Today we went in for lunch at 1 p.m. There was six of us with some out of town family and we were quietly talking, there was nobody else in the restaurant. At the end of the lunch, I asked for another cup of green tea, the waitress got. It for me than came back within two minutes and told us we had to leave since they were closing. It was 2:45 p.m. The tea was piping hot so I couldn't drink it so I left it and we left. It was beyond rude, the usual wait staff and manager wasn't there. We been loyal customers here and unfortunately my husband had settled up the bill with a very genorous twenty percent tip. I hope this was an abnormality becuase we have always liked this restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank nursespark
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Yummy Sushi”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This is a small casual neighborhood restaurant that serves delicious sushi and friendly service. We visit here often and can always count on a good meal. Highly recommend any of the sushi and sashimi plates for a nice assortment of fresh sushi. I like the eel handroll and Ota Ya salad as well. They do not have a liquor license and you must bring your own bottle of wine but the wine and spirits store in Newtown is a only a minute or two away and has a great selection of wine.

Visited August 2012