“Big rooms, good price (but avoid the 4th floor)”

HYATT house Philadelphia/Plymouth Meeting
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Norristown
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I just finished a 67 night stay at the Hyatt House Plymouth Meeting and overall had a good experience. I would rate the hotel a high three and round to four.

The hotel is formerly a Summerfield Suites that is starting to show some age. I actually toured both this Hyatt House and the Hyatt House in King of Prussia and the KOP location is nicer and newer, but also more expensive. There is nothing wrong with the hotel, but you can tell it is showing some age.

Positives:
-The rooms are large with a full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave and small sink. Plenty of living room space with a small eat in desk/table and a pull out couch. Plenty of storage space with a dresser, night stands, full size closet and a very large bathroom vanity. Standard size tub/shower.

-HVAC system is a full size apartment style unit, not a through wall unit. This provides for quiet operation with quick heating and or cooling. The caveat is that the thermostat they are using is motion activated to conserve energy with can mean warm nights when the tstat does not detect movement in the living room and defaults to a higher than set set point.

-rooms are quiet. Over my 67 night stay I never experienced an issue with noise either from adjacent rooms or from the pool area.

-price. The hotel worked with me and my per diem rate that I was given by my employer to allow me to stay at a rate below their standard long term rate. They also seem to be cheaper than other similar fully equipped suites in the area on a standard room rate.

-location. The hotel is close to highways, shopping malls and restaurants. Some within walking distance, others 2-3 mile drive.

Cons-
-off putting smell from the 4th floor. I can only describe it as mildew masked with mint air freshener. I am not sure if they have a moisture issue with the 4th floor or what but the entire 4th floor smells like this. And my room smelled even worse. I got used to it, but upon coming home after 2 months I had to was everything thoroughly and Fabreeze all my luggage. With this being said I would request a room that is not on the 4th fl.

Mehs-
- I was never blown away by the staff. I have only stayed at a few Hyatt properties over the years, although I travel frequently for work staying mostly at Marriott. There were only a handful of front desk clerks who seemed welcoming. The breakfast crew was always nice and friendly and the cleaning staff/maintenance were also pleasant. The woman running the evening social hour seemed almost unhappy to be there though. Overall I never got the warm and fuzzy from the hotel. The hey we appreciate your patronage. I'd say it was more indifference than anything else. Not a huge deal, but being a hotel and part of the hospitality sector I expected just a bit more from the staff. I happened to stay at the Hyatt Place in Portland, Maine while in the area and they knocked it out of the park. They are also a brand new property and as such probably have a greater focus on such things.

-gym is fairly well equipped. Better than many although I've been to nicer. The issue I had was that it never seemed like it was really maintained from a restocking standpoint (water glasses, picking up after guests) and this is the first hotel I've been in where there weren't Lysol type wipes to sanitize equipment.

Overall this is a property I'd recommend. The rooms are spacious, clean and well appointed. If not newly updated. Price seems fair for the type of room with the only big caveat being the really odd smell on the 4th floor. Staff won't knock your socks off but they aren't rude either. If you can get a room on another floor it's a hotel worth staying at.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located off Rt 476 , this was a good find for our one night stay. Just a couple of miles off the highway and in a quiet locations this was a nice clean hotel. Rooms were as expected well designed , furnished and kept clean. Quiet at night for a good sleep on comfortable beds. Good clean bathrooms split into separate toilet and shower area. Breakfast was good and well organized. Overall a great stay.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a pet friendly hotel, with an outdoor pool and large suites. We were here for a wedding nearby and were very pleased with the room. The suite comes with a refrigerator, microwave oven, dishwasher, and small stove and sink plus dishes cups and glasses. If you are staying for a few days it's a great place to save money on eating out. There's a Walmart down the road, so you could stock up on a few food items and eat in. The breakfast is great, and the staff keep on top of things. They have an omelets station with several toppings. The pool isn't too big, when we were there it got crowded with a lot of people, some trying to play ball and others with kids in rafts.

Room Tip: It's a "U" or "C" shape so if you have trouble walking too far ask for rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very well appointed room, comfortable beds, lots of space in the suites! Breakfast was very good, lots of choices, food seemed fresh and the right temperature. The pool was outdoors and loved that since we were staying during the summer. Soaked up the sunshine! Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Nicholas D, Manager at HYATT house Philadelphia/Plymouth Meeting, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are most excited that you enjoyed our full complimentary breakfast and all the options available. What a great way to start the day after a good nights sleep in a Hyatt Grand Bed.

We look forward to welcoming you back anytime you are in the area!

Bye for now

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed in a two-bedroom suite for four nights with our daughter and her family while attending our granddaughter's college graduation in the area. It was perfect! The rooms were roomy, attractive, and comfortable. The kitchen made it easy to make use of leftovers from eating out and even to bring in a meal or two. The breakfast was varied and good, and they even had a "social hour" on several evenings, which turned out to be more like a meal than just appetizers. They sold wine and beer for $1 during these events. It was a good value, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt House Philadelphia/Plymouth Meeting over Memorial Day weekend in 2014. The purpose of our stay was to visit family who live near the hotel. Our room was huge – a true suite with a living room/TV seating area, single bedroom with a TV, small kitchen, and large bathroom with a dressing area. The staff were friendly and helpful. The daily breakfast buffet was generous with a variety of hot food, cereal, fruit, coffee, juice, omelet station, and more. There were plenty of dining tables, including some outdoor seating on a small patio. The pool was a nice size and well maintained – it just opened for the summer and we were very happy to have access to it! Towels are provided by the pool side and there are lounge chairs and also a few tables with umbrellas. There are BBQ grills located next to the pool area. The laundry facility is clean and has several washers and dryers. The hotel offered a happy hour of some sort in the evenings, with complementary food and beverage, but unfortunately we did not have time to attend these given our schedule. The hotel is in an excellent location close to shopping, super markets, gas stations, a mall, restaurants, and highway entrances. We would definitely stay at the hotel again when visiting our family, especially in the spring and summer when the pool is open!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ROKChicago_IL
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. We were passing by for the night and it was a good choice. The rooms were fairly new and clean. Nice outdoor pool. The hotel was also close to the shopping area and many of the popular places. Only cons are long halls and smaller bathrooms.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank _A_Traveling_Dude_22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norristown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Plymouth Meeting
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philad...
#1 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Plymouth Meeting
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia P...
#3 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
Hampton Inn Plymouth Meeting
Hampton Inn Plymouth Meeting
#2 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
Best Western Plus The Inn at King of Prussia
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hote...
#4 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
Courtyard Philadelphia Plymouth Meeting
Courtyard Philadelphia Plymouth ...
#5 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting

Been to HYATT house Philadelphia/Plymouth Meeting? Share your experiences!