“Who Knew?!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Norristown
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Who Knew?!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Before I moved away, I worked in Norristown and drove past this hotel all the time. It's set back a bit from the street, so I never really paid much attention to it. I booked three nights here through Hotwire and was amazed at how nice a property it was. I even notified my counterparts at the office I transferred out of to add this location to the list of local hotels where we put up our visitors.

I had a king-sized suite, consisting of separate bedroom, large bathroom with the most amazing closet I've ever seen it a hotel (it had built in shelves running vertically down one side), and a well-appointed kitchen that included a full-sized fridge, toaster and convection microwave. The efficient check-in clerk also informed me that a full, hot breakfast buffet, along with an omelette station, was also available seven days a week. I didn't partake in that, but did grab an apple and a cup of tea one morning.

My room was clean, with a flat- screen TV in each room. The one feature that really stood out was the charging station on the bedside table, which included not only regular a/c outlets, but also both standard and tablet USB ports. That was really appreciated when I needed to charge my portable battery pack.

Despite the fact that the parking lot was full and the hotel was hosting a wedding party, it was very, very quiet. The bed was amazing.

My only suggestion would be some sort of table in the living area by the couch. There was no place to set my water bottle.

My only complaint was that housekeeping was very spotty. Not one day was my sink wiped down. And on one day, when I'd been gone seven hours, I returned to find that housekeeping still had not serviced the room. I did get a call shortly thereafter asking if I still wanted service and offering an apology. Fortunately, I had to go back out, so I had her come in, but if I'd been in for the night I would not have wanted to be bothered that late in the day.

Otherwise, I plan for this to be my go-to spot when I need to return to that area. I was very pleasantly surprised, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Nicholas D, Manager at HYATT house Philadelphia/Plymouth Meeting, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel, we are glad you decided to stop in! We are glad our tech features met and exceeded your expectations. At Hyatt we strive to keep up with your routines and in a very tech savy world, we realize the importance of having features that make life easier while on the road.

The Hyatt Grand Bed is quite amazing to come home to after a day of working and exploring the Philadelphia area!

We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to Philadelphia

All the Best,

Nick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Asbury, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is a home away from home, the suites are spacious with furnished living room and kitchen. If you, like me get sick of eating out every time you travel, this is the best option you'll have. Parking is included which nowadays is a MUST, and it's just a really relaxing environment.
The location is also great, a short drive (4 minutes) from the main shopping area in Plymouth Meeting (Mall, shops and restaurants).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am currently writing this review from the business center at the Hyatt House. This hotel is immaculate, accomodating and the staff is courteous and professional. We booked the trio-suite. It's a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen, living room area and kitchen table. There is plenty of space and there is a TV in both bedrooms and living room. I realized the little things that show that this hotel puts thought into the things they do. For example: the master bedroom has a window that can be opened, racks in the closet, bigger bathroom, huge sink outside the bathroom with lots of cabinets and big mirror, cordless phone in room, etc. They also provide various ameneties and kitchen appliances if asked.

Also, they're breakfast is top notch! Real dishes are provided and lots of options to eat from one cannot possibly enjoy it all.

One comment though, the shower wasnt the best. I would still keep the 5 star rating though because its an awesome place to stay!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank s a
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Got a great rate, and stayed for two nights in late July as part of my yearly trip to PA. Upon check in, was immediately greeted by a nice clerk who made me feel very welcome.

Room was larger than expected, with a separate bedroom with a very comfortable Hyatt Grand king bed. Bathroom and everything else was clean. The sofa was comfortable, and also pulled out.

One of my largest hotel pet peeves is when they have an LCD TV, but no HD channels. Fortunately, the room had two (yes, two!) screens with adequate HD programming to make me a happy guest.

Evening social (runs Mon-Thurs) was a nice perk, with $1 beer on tap (Yuengling or Bud Light) and plenty of food to go around. One of the nights, the friendly hotel GM even came out and poured me a drink, while also striking up a friendly conversation. Breakfast was also great, with the "standard fare", as well as an omelet bar and hot items like French toast and sausage links.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend staying here, and will keep them in mind for my annual pilgrimage back home next year.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Macomb
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the this hotel for 4 nights while visiting our son. The room was generous in size and we had a kitchen that came in quite handy. The hotel offers breakfast each morning in the lobby and it offers a very good selection of food. There's an omelette station that wasn't half bad. The pool area was nice and there is also a hot tub/ jacuzzi. The hotel is pet friendly and when we called the 1-800- hyatt number, we were told that guests with pets stay in a pet section of the hotel which is not the case. We had 2 dogs that were staying above us that barked an cried for about 3 hrs when we returned from a sight seeing adventure to take a short nap. The staff was quick to locate the room and contact the guests to handle the situation but had we been given the correct info from the 1-800 number, we may have opted to stay elsewhere. The other issue we encountered was that during our stay we requested housekeeping once. We're not travelers that like to have people in and out of our room daily and this room doesn't offer an in room safe. We had housekeeping come in on a Sunday while we went to visit Gettysburg for the day. When we returned, we found that housekeeping had been in to make the bed but that was all that they did. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned, the kitchen counter was still a mess, the removed the garbage but didn't replace the bag, the floor hadn't been vacuumed or swept and we didn't receive any fresh towels. When I called up to the front desk they did send somebody up with them to our room and that person offered to tidy up for us but by that time, I had already cleaned up. The housekeeping staff at this hotel is gone by 4:30 pm on the weekends . The hotel manager did contact me the next day and offered to come in on Monday to clean our room but we only had 1 night left on our stay and didn't bother taking him up on his offer. He did give us an adjustment on our bill for our inconvenience and apologized that we had this experience. FYI....the free wifi that is offered in the room is unsecure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank feldny621
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I just finished a 67 night stay at the Hyatt House Plymouth Meeting and overall had a good experience. I would rate the hotel a high three and round to four.

The hotel is formerly a Summerfield Suites that is starting to show some age. I actually toured both this Hyatt House and the Hyatt House in King of Prussia and the KOP location is nicer and newer, but also more expensive. There is nothing wrong with the hotel, but you can tell it is showing some age.

Positives:
-The rooms are large with a full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave and small sink. Plenty of living room space with a small eat in desk/table and a pull out couch. Plenty of storage space with a dresser, night stands, full size closet and a very large bathroom vanity. Standard size tub/shower.

-HVAC system is a full size apartment style unit, not a through wall unit. This provides for quiet operation with quick heating and or cooling. The caveat is that the thermostat they are using is motion activated to conserve energy with can mean warm nights when the tstat does not detect movement in the living room and defaults to a higher than set set point.

-rooms are quiet. Over my 67 night stay I never experienced an issue with noise either from adjacent rooms or from the pool area.

-price. The hotel worked with me and my per diem rate that I was given by my employer to allow me to stay at a rate below their standard long term rate. They also seem to be cheaper than other similar fully equipped suites in the area on a standard room rate.

-location. The hotel is close to highways, shopping malls and restaurants. Some within walking distance, others 2-3 mile drive.

Cons-
-off putting smell from the 4th floor. I can only describe it as mildew masked with mint air freshener. I am not sure if they have a moisture issue with the 4th floor or what but the entire 4th floor smells like this. And my room smelled even worse. I got used to it, but upon coming home after 2 months I had to was everything thoroughly and Fabreeze all my luggage. With this being said I would request a room that is not on the 4th fl.

Mehs-
- I was never blown away by the staff. I have only stayed at a few Hyatt properties over the years, although I travel frequently for work staying mostly at Marriott. There were only a handful of front desk clerks who seemed welcoming. The breakfast crew was always nice and friendly and the cleaning staff/maintenance were also pleasant. The woman running the evening social hour seemed almost unhappy to be there though. Overall I never got the warm and fuzzy from the hotel. The hey we appreciate your patronage. I'd say it was more indifference than anything else. Not a huge deal, but being a hotel and part of the hospitality sector I expected just a bit more from the staff. I happened to stay at the Hyatt Place in Portland, Maine while in the area and they knocked it out of the park. They are also a brand new property and as such probably have a greater focus on such things.

-gym is fairly well equipped. Better than many although I've been to nicer. The issue I had was that it never seemed like it was really maintained from a restocking standpoint (water glasses, picking up after guests) and this is the first hotel I've been in where there weren't Lysol type wipes to sanitize equipment.

Overall this is a property I'd recommend. The rooms are spacious, clean and well appointed. If not newly updated. Price seems fair for the type of room with the only big caveat being the really odd smell on the 4th floor. Staff won't knock your socks off but they aren't rude either. If you can get a room on another floor it's a hotel worth staying at.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located off Rt 476 , this was a good find for our one night stay. Just a couple of miles off the highway and in a quiet locations this was a nice clean hotel. Rooms were as expected well designed , furnished and kept clean. Quiet at night for a good sleep on comfortable beds. Good clean bathrooms split into separate toilet and shower area. Breakfast was good and well organized. Overall a great stay.

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norristown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Plymouth Meeting
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philad...
#1 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Plymouth Meeting
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia P...
#3 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hote...
#5 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of Prussia
Hyatt House Philadelphia/King of...
#1 of 16 in King of Prussia
Courtyard Philadelphia Plymouth Meeting
Courtyard Philadelphia Plymouth ...
#4 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting
Hampton Inn Plymouth Meeting
Hampton Inn Plymouth Meeting
#2 of 6 in Plymouth Meeting

Been to HYATT house Philadelphia/Plymouth Meeting? Share your experiences!