“Lovely Get-away”

Ranked #1 of 3 North East B&B and Inns
Mayfield, Ohio
“Lovely Get-away”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This was our first experience at a bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Isabella room in the Bester House. The room was nicely decorated in Victorian style but modern amenities. The house was well decorated for Halloween - even trick or treat snacks were provided. The cookie jar and refrigerator were well stocked also. It felt a little weird the first night - as we were the only occupants in the house. Peggy and her staff were very personable and knowledgeable of the area and provided us with dinner suggestions and directions. The dinner at Freeport Landing was excellent - but the best part was watching the sunset at the beach just past the restaurant.
The 4 course breakfast were excellent also. We will definately make a return trip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharioh

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Painesville, Ohio
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Although the bed & breakfast is located on U.S. 20 right near the center of town, it is relaxing and comfortable. We stayed in the Cabernet Suite... very roomy. Since it is located in the back half of the second house, traffic noise was not an issue. We could hear passing trains, though. Except for when we checked in, we did not see staff members or the innkeeper, not that we needed anyone for anything. In the morning, breakfast was served at the time we chose the day before. It was an excellent meal. The bed & breakfast is very close to several of the area wineries (we visited 9 in only a few hours). We also walked into the town for dinner and drinks... nothing special in town, but it was a nice walk and a decent meal (at Johnnie B's). Overall, a great place to escape and relax for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike S
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My significant other and I booked a night at The Chancellor Suite to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived, the Innkeeper showed us the main house and then brought us to our room which was in the house next door. It consisted of the bedroom area with a queen sized bed, a parlor with a coal burning fireplace and small television, and a spacious bathroom with a private shower. We unpacked and had dinner at the Freeport restaurant which is about 1.5 miles down the road.

When we had first arrived, my fiancee complimented her on the vinyl collection available in The Library to which the Innkeeper replied, "yes, we have many LPs." When we returned from dinner we decided to have some tea, read, and put on some quiet music. I myself have a bit of a record collection so this made me feel right at home. After about an hour of reading, Peggy came down and rather sharply scolded me for "playing around" with her record player and that it was "not for guests." I tried to explain that I was merely playing an album, but she cut me off and said that was for her "personal use." I apologized, to which she replied "yeah" and then proceeded to storm out of the room. That was the last we saw of her on our stay.

I'm not upset that we were not allowed to play her records, I certainly respect that it was her collection, but nowhere was it marked that they were not for guest use. They were in the same area that the games, videos and books were, so we naturally assumed we could have a listen. I felt bad, but her childish attitude really put a damper on the night.

The suite was noisy and poorly insulated, we could hear trains, police cars and at one point the room light up red due to someone getting pulled over in front of the building. The radiator did not work, however there was a portable electric heater in the main room. The AC units were (understandably) still in the window which may have been the reason for the outside sound penetration. I did not sleep well.

In the morning we went to the main house for breakfast. The food was good and the chef was extremely personable. I quite enjoyed how friendly the cat was, too.

Overall, the houses were nice and well kept, however due to the Innkeeper we in good conscience cannot recommend Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast. I'd like to believe this was an isolated incident, but as other reviews on this site have stated, this seems to be a common theme with "Peggy the Innkeeper". In the end her behavior ultimately made us feel like unwanted visitors rather than guests, and for that reason we will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GuestFromErie
peghauser, Owner at Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Sometimes guests who are new to the Bed and Breakfast experience do not realize that the property is not only a business, but the owner's home. The personal touches are sometimes the very thing that can make a stay special. But along with that, there are boundaries. I would hate to have to put signs everywhere for guests, but usually assume that closed cabinets are for storage or Innkeeper use. A quick call if there is a question would be the norm, if a guest would like to use a personal sound system.
We always try to give everyone a great experience, but unfortunately, cannot always please everyone!
canonsburg
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The only problem i had was hearing the trains every 20 min. They need to supply guests with earplugs. Other than that it was very home like. I felt very safe there. I stayed by myself. The breakfast was wonderful.Iwould stay again but next time i will bring some earplugs.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank rhendal405
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2012

What a great place to stay! Our room was the Steuben Suite in the Bester House.....very private, with not just our own large bathroom, but a half bathroom as well! The owners have thought of everything.....books, videos, puzzles, wine glasses in case you buy a bottle at a local vineyard....I heard the trains the first night, but they didn't bother me the second night. But the best part of our stay was the breakfasts....outstanding food and great presentation. This place went way beyond my expectations for a B and B. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We enjoyed a very good breakfast on the sun porch in the main house but our overall experience wasn't the best. Our suite was in the house next door and while it was quite spacious it needed some tender loving care -- the wallpaper was peeling, paint was chipped and the furniture is tired; an old TV and a broken video player were disappointing. The property is on the main street and it's quite noisy at night with lots of traffic and old windows that don't block out the noise. Amanda did recommend a fun local restaurant just around the corner.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AmyPRmafia
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We decided to give my in-laws a get away for Christmas and we chose the Grape Arbor B & B. Erie was very calm and very beautiful but the B&B was amazssing as well. The food was delicious and the rooms were beautiful. I had a massage in my room that was wonderful. Excellent choice for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Cobblestone Hotel & Suites Harborcreek
Red Roof Inn Erie
Red Roof Inn Erie
#7 of 38 in Erie

Been to Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!