“Great overnight getaway!”

Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 North East B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My husband and I spent the day on the Lake Erie wine trail and stayed here overnight in the Chancellor Suite - loved the large bathroom and separate lving room area with couch and fireplace. Lovely & charming place - felt welcome upon arrival. Room was very clean and all was comfortable. Loved the historic feel of the decor. Mini fridge had water, pop, and juice waiting for us, too. Breakfast was amazing! Started off with an apple crumb cake, then a fresh bowl of fruit, amazing rolls, and we had a breakfast casserole that left me loosening up my belt! LOL Every went smoothly and I would recommend this place in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 November 2012

This was the third time that four girlfriends and I met for our yearly getaway weekend at the Grape Arbor. It is very, very clean, beautifully decorated and quite comfortable. And the breakfasts are amazing.

There are many nice little extras available to Peggy's guests, like hot and cold beverages through the day, two well appointed living rooms, and wine glasses and corkscrews handy. ( This is wine country, after all!)

We've already scheduled our fourth year in 2013!

Room Tip: Front bedrooms face the street and there can be street noise. I don't find it bothersome, but ro...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank dave o
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This was our first experience at a bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Isabella room in the Bester House. The room was nicely decorated in Victorian style but modern amenities. The house was well decorated for Halloween - even trick or treat snacks were provided. The cookie jar and refrigerator were well stocked also. It felt a little weird the first night - as we were the only occupants in the house. Peggy and her staff were very personable and knowledgeable of the area and provided us with dinner suggestions and directions. The dinner at Freeport Landing was excellent - but the best part was watching the sunset at the beach just past the restaurant.
The 4 course breakfast were excellent also. We will definately make a return trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharioh
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Although the bed & breakfast is located on U.S. 20 right near the center of town, it is relaxing and comfortable. We stayed in the Cabernet Suite... very roomy. Since it is located in the back half of the second house, traffic noise was not an issue. We could hear passing trains, though. Except for when we checked in, we did not see staff members or the innkeeper, not that we needed anyone for anything. In the morning, breakfast was served at the time we chose the day before. It was an excellent meal. The bed & breakfast is very close to several of the area wineries (we visited 9 in only a few hours). We also walked into the town for dinner and drinks... nothing special in town, but it was a nice walk and a decent meal (at Johnnie B's). Overall, a great place to escape and relax for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My significant other and I booked a night at The Chancellor Suite to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived, the Innkeeper showed us the main house and then brought us to our room which was in the house next door. It consisted of the bedroom area with a queen sized bed, a parlor with a coal burning fireplace and small television, and a spacious bathroom with a private shower. We unpacked and had dinner at the Freeport restaurant which is about 1.5 miles down the road.

When we had first arrived, my fiancee complimented her on the vinyl collection available in The Library to which the Innkeeper replied, "yes, we have many LPs." When we returned from dinner we decided to have some tea, read, and put on some quiet music. I myself have a bit of a record collection so this made me feel right at home. After about an hour of reading, Peggy came down and rather sharply scolded me for "playing around" with her record player and that it was "not for guests." I tried to explain that I was merely playing an album, but she cut me off and said that was for her "personal use." I apologized, to which she replied "yeah" and then proceeded to storm out of the room. That was the last we saw of her on our stay.

I'm not upset that we were not allowed to play her records, I certainly respect that it was her collection, but nowhere was it marked that they were not for guest use. They were in the same area that the games, videos and books were, so we naturally assumed we could have a listen. I felt bad, but her childish attitude really put a damper on the night.

The suite was noisy and poorly insulated, we could hear trains, police cars and at one point the room light up red due to someone getting pulled over in front of the building. The radiator did not work, however there was a portable electric heater in the main room. The AC units were (understandably) still in the window which may have been the reason for the outside sound penetration. I did not sleep well.

In the morning we went to the main house for breakfast. The food was good and the chef was extremely personable. I quite enjoyed how friendly the cat was, too.

Overall, the houses were nice and well kept, however due to the Innkeeper we in good conscience cannot recommend Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast. I'd like to believe this was an isolated incident, but as other reviews on this site have stated, this seems to be a common theme with "Peggy the Innkeeper". In the end her behavior ultimately made us feel like unwanted visitors rather than guests, and for that reason we will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GuestFromErie
peghauser, Owner at Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Sometimes guests who are new to the Bed and Breakfast experience do not realize that the property is not only a business, but the owner's home. The personal touches are sometimes the very thing that can make a stay special. But along with that, there are boundaries. I would hate to have to put signs everywhere for guests, but usually assume that closed cabinets are for storage or Innkeeper use. A quick call if there is a question would be the norm, if a guest would like to use a personal sound system.
We always try to give everyone a great experience, but unfortunately, cannot always please everyone!

Reviewed 3 September 2012

The only problem i had was hearing the trains every 20 min. They need to supply guests with earplugs. Other than that it was very home like. I felt very safe there. I stayed by myself. The breakfast was wonderful.Iwould stay again but next time i will bring some earplugs.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank rhendal405
Reviewed 16 August 2012

What a great place to stay! Our room was the Steuben Suite in the Bester House.....very private, with not just our own large bathroom, but a half bathroom as well! The owners have thought of everything.....books, videos, puzzles, wine glasses in case you buy a bottle at a local vineyard....I heard the trains the first night, but they didn't bother me the second night. But the best part of our stay was the breakfasts....outstanding food and great presentation. This place went way beyond my expectations for a B and B. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
The Inn at the Peak
The Inn at the Peak
#1 of 1 in Clymer
SpringHill Suites Erie

Been to Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!