“Picture Perfect Retreat”

Ranked #1 of 1 North Wales B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Picture Perfect Retreat”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The end of July, my husband and I attended a wedding at the Joseph Ambler Inn. We arrived on a Friday and stayed two nights. Driving through Philly traffic on a Friday night was a little rough, so I was really looking forward to a relaxing stay - and I was not let down.

As we drove through the grounds, I was blown away. The Joseph Ambler Inn is a secluded, beautiful piece of the country. I loved seeing all the guest houses spread out throughout the grounds. When we parked, we walked along brick paths leading to the main "barn" to check in. The receptionist was very warm and friendly. He explained where our room was located and where breakfast was served.

The wedding party was able to book the entire John Roberts House for the two nights. My room was the Pennypacker room located on the third floor of this house. It was a spacious room with a queen bed and a jetted soaker tub plus walking shower in the bathroom.

After dropping off our luggage, we made our way to the bar, adjacent to the restaurant where breakfast is served. The bar was well stocked and the bartenders were friendly. They serve food there, but we ended up getting dinner out.

The wedding was held Saturday on the grounds and the reception was held in the John Roberts House (~35 people total attended the wedding). I've been to many weddings (including my own) and I have to say that this was one of the best. It wasn't just the beautiful couple getting married, but the atmosphere and the generous service that this Inn and its staff had to offer.

Breakfast was a hearty buffet. I can't imagine anyone leaving hungry, there seemed to be something for everyone. On Saturday morning, we were able to take our breakfast outside and sit on the patio. The weather was phenomenal for being the end of July (70's, low humidity) so we could enjoy sitting on the patio just a little longer to enjoy a second cup of coffee. PERFECTO!

My ONLY criticism of the place (if you can call it that) was that the panel for operating the jetted soaker tub in the bathroom was odd. Maybe I needed a manual or something but I couldn't get the thing to turn off when I wanted to. I talked to other guests staying in the John Roberts House and they each had issues with their tubs... mostly turning them on and not being able to turn them off. The bride, the night before her wedding, had the tub go off at 3 am - hours after she stopped using it. But the tubs are VERY nice and I relaxed in mine both nights.

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend staying here if you are a couple looking for a place for a romantic getaway. And if you are a couple looking for a small but perfect wedding venue, this is the place. I was sad to leave this place, but I know I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are amazing. I don't think you can go wrong choosing one.
1 Thank Bisque3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Osprey, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Hard to describe. The rooms are nice, the breakfast fine, and the dining room is great. Business center was empty during my stay, and provided comfortable meeting room for me and colleagues. Not fancy, but not too shabby, either. Pricing is all over the place. If you can wrangle a low rate, this is a good deal. You really need a car; nothing really nearby other than a Costco, and a Chinese and an Italian restaurant. Too far to really walk to the Village Tavern on Stump road, too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Wylie, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The setting is peaceful and the property is a welcomed escape from a day of business meetings. It even turned out to be less expensive than the Radisson in King of Prussia, where I stayed the night before. Whether you're together with your loved one, or just traveling for business, this place offers a break from "life" as you know it. The guest houses are adorable and each room with it's unique decor gives you the feeling of staying at your Nanna's for the weekend. This place encourages you to take a breath, step outside of your room and enjoy the lovely grounds, read a good book or visit with new friends in the parlors or on the patio--anything but WORK ;-) Even though I was solo on this trip (next time the hubby is coming for sure!) I treated myself to the spa bath in my bathroom and snuggled up with a good book on the bed before retiring for the evening. Breakfast was amazing and again you'll feel like your around the family table when you step into the restaurant...warning: YOU MAY NEVER WANT TO LEAVE!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Lovely B&B. stayed in July 2013 for a short get a way with my husband. Grounds were very nice, room was great, restaurant was excellent, outside area to eat for breakfast was so quaint! I highly recommend for a romantic stay, though other people had children there too, which was fine as well. They also have a deal with the local club to use their pool, which is nice when it is hot weather. We visited Peddlars Village and New Hope which is a short dstance away and on the way home stopped at Valley Forge Casino.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Queen suite in the John Roberts house. It was a new/modern room with a jacuzzi tub...
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I was a little disappointed with our stay this time around. We were staying for our one year wedding anniversary. We were married at the JAI and were pleased with our wedding there last year. This year I wasn't as pleased.

When we arrived our room wasn't ready as the jacuzzi wasn't properly fixed and we arrived an hour after check in started. We were told they forgot about the problem!

The room smelled musty and the bed was lumpy and too soft. I woke up the next day with a terrible soar neck which still hasn't gone away two days later.

The service there just isn't that great. Too relaxed and I would prefer to be treated like a customer. When they fixed the jacuzzi we were asked if we wanted them to clean up all the water from the floor. Why we were asked that instead of just doing it is beyond me?!

We had dinner there that evening to celebrate and that was phenomenal! I will be back for dinner but not to stay. Save your money and just come for dinner

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank JillA8
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Joseph Ambler Inn over July 4th, 2013 with a wedding group. It was a beautiful property. However, we confirmed our room months in advance for July 3 thru 6. We are both in our mid sixties. We were placed in a 3rd floor room in the barn over the kitchen with no elevator and no one to help with our luggage. Our room was extremely warm and had a fishy smell. We expressed our concerns & a man came to the room, pointed a meter at a vent & told us that should do it. They supposedly had no other rooms to move us to. Upon returning to our room on Friday, we found the door to our room unlocked and slightly open. Also not made up. Unable to bear the heat any longer, we checked out a day early. At checkout ( 11:00 a.m. ) the room was already 80 degrees. Very disappointed with the concern for our comfort!

Room Tip: Remember: NO ELEVATOR & NO BELL HOPS!! Be VERY specific with your request. Management makes la...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank EricA1947
Little Torch Key, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Great setting with nice old restored buildings. We had a very large suite with lots of windows that actually opened , a nice little patio with chairs and a large very nice bathroom. BUT - when we walked into the room the smell of mold was over powering. Luckily we could air it out by opening all the windows. The bed had the softest, most uncomfortable, mattress that I have ever slept on. (My back still hurts!) The carpet needed cleaning. The TV was a little 19 inch tube type from the 1990's. The beautiful grounds were not cared for, the grass needed mowing, had weeds and you could even easily see broken yard equipment. and other non-used items not properly stored. The front desk staff was not helpful or pleasant. The topper - Breakfast was suppose to be available at 6:30 am. By 6:50 am 4 tables of guests were sitting waiting for coffee and food. Service began about 7:05 am after lots of complaints. WHERE IS THE MANAGEMENT!

2 Thank keysdad
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Wales
Hampton Inn & Suites Philadelphia Montgomeryville
Staybridge Suites Montgomeryville
Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village
Homewood Suites Lansdale
Homewood Suites by Hilton Doylestown
Residence Inn Philadelphia Montgomeryville

Been to Joseph Ambler Inn? Share your experiences!