Great little cabin. Nice location.
Maybe a ten minute car ride into town. A little close to the road, but plenty of grassy yard for kids or dogs to run around. Located right next to a larger cabin. If it was more secluded, I'd give it 5 stars.
While the cabin is beautifully built and furnished, it is not secluded on a property away from noise and away from others as the pictures show. Behind the cabin is another larger cabin for renters. While this was not so much a problem, the Orndorff Cabin sits about 100 yards away from a very busy road. All through the night, and especially in the early morning, there was loud traffic keeping us up and waking us up as early as 6am. Huge triaxle trucks and semis fly down this road and you can imagine how loud that becomes for those staying inside the cabin trying to sleep. A nice aspect of Orndorff is that it is 5 minutes from "downtown" Ohiopyle and 10 minutes from Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water and Kentuck Knob. These features, however, do not make up for the fact that we did not get the restful, peaceful sleep we were looking for when trying to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city...it felt like we were at home on the busy intersection where we live. While beautiful, we would not return to the Orndorff cabin.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
1. Trying to book the cabin 2 months prior to intended arrival, nobody answered the phone in 6 attempts I made. A recorded message promised a return call. Three such messages were never returned. Ended up booking the place up via a third party.
2. The exorbitant US$1000 rental fee (just 3 nights) was charged to my credit card ~2 months and one month ahead of arrival.
3. The OVR management conveniently makes all renters sign a contract precluding any refund, no matter how justified.
4. On the OVR website, the cabin is depicted as isolated cabin, while in reality it is only <50 feet (15m) away from the region's main highway, while on the other side it is <30 feet(~8m) away from a large rental house.
5. The cabin's user info and directions were promised to be sent a week prior to arrival. These (minus directions) were sent only following an enquiry a couple of days prior to our arrival..
6. We received no directions and indeed ended up spending nearly an hour around 11pm looking for the place (a Park ranger finally helped us find it).
7. Upon arrival, after 11:00pm, we found the cabin infested with live, dead, or dying wasps/hornets, which we had to clean up before we could go to bed. The next day there were more of them and again the next day and the last morning. During our last night, both I and my 65 year-old sister were stung by some bug or another while in bed!
8. I tried to call the management (they use a messaging service with an actual human being at the other end of the phone line!). I left a message re the infestation, asking to be contacted promptly. As was earlier the case - nobody ever did!
9. Upon returning home I emailed the management to complain and ask for partial refund. I was flatly refused claiming their policy (to which I 'agreed' in the contract) 'prevents' them from issuing any refunds..!
Worst ever rental experience!