“Had it twice today. Once going down and...”
Review of Revello's Cafe

Revello's Cafe
Ranked #7 of 34 Restaurants in Old Forge
Cuisines: Pizza
“Had it twice today. Once going down and...”
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Had it twice today. Once going down and once coming up. Truly overrated. Inedible and disgusting.

1 Thank eddie31370

Valley Forge, PA
“Unusual "Pizza" must be an acquired taste”
Reviewed 13 February 2010

My family stopped in to Revello's based on the strong reviews. I do not go to fast food places and am always on the look out for independently owned quality restaurants that are becoming more and more difficult to find. Revello's looked to fit the bill: a bit of a ways off the Interstate, lots of strong local affinity and glowing reviews. The wait staff was great, the atmosphere was suitably retro and the place was very clean. However, the "pizza" was bready and the cheese was nearly inedible and had a mouth feel of melted plastic. I am sure the locals who love the place will cringe at this review, but if you are looking for a more typical pizza, Revello's will be a disappointment. For folks that grew up eating it, the notalgia of the local place is likely to overcome what is remarkably poor quality food.

2 Thank dalexsot
Pennsylvania
“Pizza that you crave”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Perhaps I'm biased, having been brought up on Revello's pizza, but I crave it several times a year. There is just something completely unique about it, especially when compared to chain pizza shops. It is supposed to stick to the roof of your mouth, which is why it is very important to let it cool so that you don't end up with 3rd degree mouth burns (worth it, though, if it happens.) Through the years, I have gotten several of my friends hooked on it as well, and end up usually having to order trays for them to bring back to my home town when I visit. I have several relatives who grew up in the area but now live on the West Coast who will literally pack this pizza in dry ice and take it home with them in huge coolers when they visit. Honestly, I've never had anything else on their menu other than the pizza, so I can't speak for their other offerings.
I have only eaten inside the restaurant a few times, preferring to just get take out, but I've enjoyed it those times. Don't expect really speedy service, especially when the place is packed, but if you're there with good friends you won't mind the wait anyway. Besides, anticipation makes the pizza taste better, imho.
I think Revello's has the best Old Forge Style pizza, but that is a subject of highly contested debate. Personally, I like Revellos because they chop their onions so fine (I hate big chunks of onion on my pizza) and for their cheese. Also, Revello's seems to be very consistant in their product. Other Old Forge pizzarias can vary depending on who is working in the kitchen that day. You can get traditional toppings on the pizza, but I prefer plain "red" (just tomato sauce and cheese on crust). They also offer "white" pizza, which is sauceless and very garlicy. This pizza doesn't come in pies, instead it comes in rectangular "trays" (which is it literally served on when eating in the restaurant). Ordering a "pie" marks you as a tourist.
The pizza is a little pricey (especially compared to the huge chain stores: 12$ a tray if i recall) but worth it. Also, at last visit, they don't take credit cards inside the restaurant, so bring cash. However, I've heard they now accept credit cards for take out orders (available at a take out window through a back door). Their hours can also be a little funny, so call ahead to make sure they are open. At peak dinner times they are packed, so get there early or be prepared to wait for a table. It is a heavily Roman Catholic area, so friday's in Lent are absolutely insane. (This is why we usually just get takeout)

1 Thank Celeste S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Square Old Forge Pizza at its best.”
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Square Old Forge Pizza at its best.

Destin FL
“Best Pizza in WORLD hands down....”
Reviewed 24 January 2009

I have been eating pizza my whole life and found none better than this. PERIOD. I know that I am just one guy, but I have been to 37 states and 18 countries and have tried pizza in just about every place. I love to travel, and do so cheaply so I am always eating pizza and Revellos has claimed a spot in my heart(and stomach) as BEST IN THE WORLD.