“Great small town restaurant”
Review of Muse Restaurant & Cafe - CLOSED

Muse Restaurant & Cafe
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Muse Restaurant & Cafe celebrates the seasonal harvest of local farmers with this farm-to-table restaurant and cafe. We serve La Columbe coffee and light fare during cafe hours then farm-to-table dinners Friday and Saturday nights. Menu will change seasonally for dinner. Muse is located in the beautiful Amish country side of southern Chester County. Come enjoy a lovely spot for drinks, eats and conversation.
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Muse is a small, family owned restaurant in Oxford's downtown. Chef Michael and his wife run the place. They are always there to greet their customers and make sure that everyone has a good dining experience. It is not a fancy place, but it offers great service. I would describe it as cozy and welcoming - pefect for the spirit of the town. The menu offers a nice selection of pasta, fish and meat along with creative daily specials and appetizers, so there is something for everyone's taste.
What we love about Muse is how good the food tastes. The portions' sizes are just perfect and the combination of flavors and textures are just simply delicious.
It is a BYOB so for us this is a plus.
Totally worth visiting.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

My husband and I went for our anniversary. It is a BYOB restaurant so we brought our own wine. It was nice to try a new place, and overall we enjoyed it. We will return. The service was excellent. We were able to take our time, and they did not rush us out. Menu selections were limited though.We wanted to order the beef/steak entree but the cut was a flank steak and not worth the price. 2 appetizers and 2 entrees will run you around $75 or $80.

It was a week night and there weren't many customers (just 5 tables for the whole night). I sure hope that they survive and make it. After all, Oxford is know as "The Little Town that Couldn't".

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Muse is a small restaurant located in "downtown" Oxford, Pa. I took my wife there for our Anniversary. After reading their on-line menu, we were quite excited with anticipation. The decor is sleek, urban casual. Lots of two tops, as I guess they entertain mostly couples. We were greeted by a very charming hostess, who let my wife have choice of seating. (Nice touch!)
It was upon sitting that things started "going south". The chairs are ALL METAL, with no cushioning whatever. Also, the tubular frame comes down into the seat area so tightly that I could not sit back into the chair. I am NOT a very big guy. I wear 38 pants! I looked around, but there were no other chair options. So, I spent my meal sort of "perched" on about half the seat.
Next came the menu. NONE of the items we were anticipating were on the menu! NONE! It was explained that Muse does a "Seasonal Menu" and changes with the availablilty of local products. Fair enough.
Now, there were, literally, 6 entrees! No chicken, pork or pasta dishes were offered. There were 2 steak offerings, along with 2 fish, an Eggplant Napoleon and Lobster Raviolis. I choose the Raviolis only to be told they were NOT AVAILABLE tonight! (For those keeping score, I am pitching a "shut-out" so far!)
We both decided that none of the entrees appealed to us that much and decided, as we sometimes do, to turn our meal into an "Appetizer Sampler". We saw this nice sized bowl go by. A nearby couple dug in together. I asked what it was. Warm Goat Cheese Salad.
We both ordered one. When ours came out they were on small, rectangular plates with, literally, 8 leaves of lettuce. I inquired and was told the bowl was a "mistake", and they have changed the presentation! NOT GOOD!!!!! Guests should ALL get the same serving, "mistake" or not! IMHO.

I must say, the Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese was a KNOCKOUT!

Not having a sweet tooth, I will frequently get another appetizer while the others have their sweets. I decided to have the Duck App for "dessert". WHAT A JOKE! Duck Breast? Really? It was barely half the size of a deck of cards, AND NO SKIN!!!! Any duck aficionado will tell you the skin is what duck is all about! My wife decided to follow suit on the app for dessert idea. Her TWO scallops tasted like they were soaked in brine! SALTY! Barely edible!
Being the ONLY "Fine Dining" in Oxford, I would go there again, but now I (and you) know their limitations. We can curb your expectations accordingly. Don't bother reading their on-line menu. It bears little resemblance to what you will see. However, I am NOT discouraging you from checking Muse out! BYOB! (A BIG plus for wine lovers!)

Reviewed 18 June 2012

What every town needs is a restaurant like this. Local sustainable food that is creative and worth going back to for any occasion. Then to top it off I can bring my own wine it doesn't get much better than that. Great food with great wine at reasonable prices everyplace should have restaurants like this.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

My husband and I went here for our anniversary. We were very excited about this place, because we heard such great reviews. We were really disappointed....it was not what we expected. The appetizers were so...so...and very expensive. We ordered the scallops and only got two and were just okay. I ordered the chicken fettuchini and I wasn't impressed at all! It was served in a huge square bowl, but there was a very small portion. I wouldn't have mind that it wasn't such a big portion, but it wasn't very tasteful at all. It was something I could have just thrown together at home. I understand that they wanted a modern type atmosphere, but the chairs were very uncomfortable....they were just modern type metal chairs. Don't worry about the dress code, because people were wearing flip flops and whatever, so you don't need to get dressed up. We didn't have a pleasant experience here. Maybe we were overly eager to think it would be a place that we would enjoy and go to time and again. I wasn't really impressed with the atmosphere, but thought that the food would be really good, but it wasn't at all what I thought it would be from reading the menu. I was so excited to try this place and it wasn't at all what I thought. I was still hungry and wanted to order a pizza on the way home! Just thought I would put my two sense in, but see for yourself, because other people seemed to think this is a great place. I'm not one to complain about food, but this was not at all what I thought.

1  Thank sunshine4453