“Worst stay in our US trip”

Harbor Inn Phillipsburg
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Philipsburg
Sabadell, Spain
“Worst stay in our US trip”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This motel is absolutely awful. We stopped there because it was on our way, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The only positive thing about it is that is a cheap accommodation. Rooms and corridors stink, breakfast was very poor (milk, coffee and cereal), furniture and beds were dirty and outdated. Strange people around the hotel at evening/night. Not a good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Monman S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
noneofyourbusiness
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We chose this hotel because all the hotels near Penn State were booked even though I was booking 3 months before our stay. We thought the price was right, but even at $62 a night was too much for this dump!! As soon as we parked, three of the employees were smoking right in front of the entrance and the front clerk, Grace, was a disgrace. She was old, rude and a racist! They don't have computers there and wrote our hotel receipt on paper! When we questioned what she was doing, we were yelled at! We got an actual "key" for our room and that area smelled as worse as the main lobby. It reeked of mildew, must and smoke...it was terrible. The room was more than filthy. There was a cemetery of dead bugs behind the beds; the beds themselves didn't even have fitted sheets, just regular sheets that were draped over torn/rugged beds; the sheets had burn holes in them, one of the headboards had a chewed piece of gum stuck to it; the chairs and curtains were stained; the wallpaper was mildewed and coming off; I could go on, but you get the picture. I took pictures and video because I know no one would believe what we saw just by telling them. I don't know how these people sleep at night knowing the conditions those rooms are in. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 123k2013

Travellers are raving about these Philipsburg hotels

Middletown, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Looks like it might have been a nice place at one time- a long ago time, but not anymore. This is the absolute worse hotel I have ever stayed in. Don't believe the AAA recommendation (how that happened I'll never know). And don't believe the complimentary reviews, either- they were obviously written by owners/employees. All of the amenities (pool, restaurant, etc.) have long since closed. I'm pretty sure I was the only traveler staying there that night. The A/C was broken, the shower didn't work, there were Dorito crumbs in the bed, and fights/arguments going on in the parking lot all night long. I skipped the free breakfast and dined at McDonalds (just wanted to get the hell out of there).

It can be very difficult to find a hotel room in PA without a reservation, and there are some unbelievably dumpy hotels. The Harbor Inn is one of them. This was the only place I could get a room but in retrospect I think I would have been better off sleeping in my car.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Glenn V
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Let's sum it up this way...Have you ever seen wall paper tacked to the wall with push pins???
From there it was downhill. Way over priced at $56. I've traveled this country extensively for 20 years and have yet to see anything worse than this dump. Wait till the price is under $10, then consider it. This is probably a classic example of a change of ownership recently and the new owners letting it go to hell while sucking it dry....just saying...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chuck L
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed here awhile back and believe me didnt think it was going to be open much longer but i guess i was wrong. Well anyways I just stayed again and noticed that there is alot of upgrading going now rooms are being redone and the place is alot cleaner then the last time i stayed. The front desk clerk Brenda was a wonderful and sweet young lady and help us with everything that we need and how to find places. Couldnt have ask to a better stay this time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Eastern U.S.
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Where do I begin?...1. No fitted bottom sheet on the mattress - just an undersized flat sheet that didn't cover the entire mattress. 2. This flat sheet was COVERED in hair. 3. The lobby, hallways, and rooms reek of cigarette smoke. 4. The microwave oven in the room didn't work. 5. The so-called wifi only works within the vicinity of the lobby. Stay away.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AMECTraveler
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I have no idea how this place is still in buisness. my family and i ended up in philipsberg by mistake, and it being late and all we chose to stay instead of driving through the night. huge mistake. the carpet, lamp, curtain, furniture, bedding, and towels are all stained and bathroom is so discusting i recomend you dont step foot in it unless absolutely you have to. This discrace of an inn should be dimolished. Sleep in your car if you can, and if you cant sleep on the streets. sorry for my spelling, i'm foriegn.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 1 in Milesburg
Hilton Garden Inn State College
Hilton Garden Inn State College
#2 of 26 in State College

Been to Harbor Inn Phillipsburg? Share your experiences!