“Fine for One Night”

Hampton Inn Pine Grove
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pine Grove
Reviewed 27 July 2010

My family (two adults, 1 teenager) stayed at this location for one night. Our room had two queen beds, a microwave and a mini-fridge. It was the standard Hampton Inn room. The room and bathroom were clean. The beds are very soft and the pillows are terrible. The hotel is right off of I-81 and you can easily hear the highway traffic in your room. However, once we turned on the air conditioner, the noise was drowned out. There are no restaurants or stores in the immediate area. There is an indoor pool but we arrived too late to use it. Breakfast is the regular cold/hot cereal, yogurt, muffins and make-your-own waffles. The breakfast area was fairly busy and the hotel should purchase another waffle maker. Also, the maple syrup was so watered down, it ruined the waffle. $117 is a bit pricey but this seems to be the norm for the area. Overall, our stay was fine for one night.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jolv

Reviewed 26 June 2010

My wife and youngest son stayed here while our oldest son stayed at a nearby Boy Scout Camp. The hotel was spotless and the grounds well manicured. The indoor pool was very clean. Our room was clean and bright. A fan in the bathroom would have been nice. The room had a fridge and microwave, all spotless. We had no trouble accessing the internet with both a laptop and an iPod. Complimentary breakfast consisted of cheese omlelts, waffles, bacon, danish, bagels, cereals, coffee, tea, milk, and juice. All you can eat. It's right by I-81 Exit 100, but around the hotel there's not much in the way of restaurants or shopping. There is a truck stop with a Dairy Queen and a Subway across the street from the hotel. The town of Pine Grove seems very quaint but we really didn't have time to tour the town so I can't comment on it. All in all, an excellent place to stay for highway travelers.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Stopped on or way from FL to NY and had a great stay.
Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was great, with refrigerator, Microwave and play station. Beds were comfortable and plenty of pillows.
Will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2010

This is a very clean, very nice Hampton Inn, but it's not near anything!! Conveniently located just off I-81 and with two truck stops virtually in the dooryard, it's a functional place to get off the road and sleep, but that's about all there is to do! There is no shopping to speak of, and a couple of convenience stores and fast food restaurants suffice for dining. Stay here if you must get off the highway, otherwise a little less or a little more driving will put you in another Hampton Inn closer to amenities.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2009

If you are a business traveler or just a web surfer that wants to download your emails avoid this hotel. The network is so slow I could not even download my emails. I stayed 3 nights and it was the same everynight. Front desk indicated this a frequent complaint.

Also they had a problem with lady bug infestation the rooms (Pest Control anyone??)

I'd avoid this hotel - I think it will only get worse as the property starts to show its age.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BusTravelerPA
Reviewed 23 September 2009

For the room price, this is an excellent hotel. Aside from a few amenities like room service and a bar, I have stayed in Marriott hotels for business that I would say are comparable insofar as the cleanliness and furnishings of the rooms.

Our room had a mini-fridge and a microwave (I'm not sure if all the rooms do, but we were in a regular-rate room), which was unexpected but nice as we'd brought beer with us. There was also a laundry room on our floor, which is another great plus for an extended stay. The desk in the room was large and comfortable, and the complementary internet access was fast and easy to use.

The bathroom was also clean, and came with the usual amenities of soap, shampoo, and moisturizer, as well as 3 sets of towels and extra TP. Water pressure in the shower was very good, and the shower nozzle was of the adjustable-spray kind.

There is also an indoor pool of moderate size that we didn't use, but did investigate. The water was reasonably warm, and both the water and entire pool area were spotlessly clean.

The breakfast is excellent, again, for the price paid. Hot food consisted only of sausages (similar in taste to hot dogs) and French toast sticks. Cold food options were bagels, bread, various cereals, yogurts, and fruit salad. Coffee, juice, and milk were available as well. (The juice is of the terribly watered-down from-concentrate stuff though). As I said, by no mean a 5-star breakfast, but you certainly don't need to leave the hotel hungry. All of the items that I tried were good, and nothing seemed stale.

The hotel was updated in (I believe) 2008, and my only negative comment on this is that it looks as if they didn't update all of the furniture in the rooms. I say this mainly in regards to the chairs, but the bed also felt like it had either a cheap or old mattress. It was not uncomfortable, but just did not have a quality feel to it.

During our stay the hotel was dead quiet. Based upon the percentage of parking spots in use, I'd say it was at less than 1/4 capacity, so I can't say that it would be quiet in general.

Finally, the staff I spoke to during our stay were all helpful, friendly, and polite. Even the woman that checked us in at the front desk around 1 AM was downright perky.

I can't imagine that there's a better hotel of this class in Pine Grove. My wife and I usually stay at 4-5 star hotels when vacationing or on business, and we were quite comfortable at this Hampton Inn for our 2 night stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Just finishing up our overnight stay at the Hampton Inn on our way to Vermont. Overall the hotel is very nice. We booked the hotel mainly because of the reasonable price. Driving up to the hotel it looks out of place because it's so new and nice looking. I believe it was just built a few years ago and it still has that new feeling.

Upon entering the lobby it was very beautiful. The front desk attendant seemed to be on a personal phone call when we got there but finished up while I patiently waited. Front desk had cookies and fresh fruit for us upon arrival and told us about the hot free breakfast the next morning. Our room was very basic but nice. The bed was just average....I've had better ones in other Hampton Inn's. The room had a fridge and microwave and a very spacious bathroom. Don't plan on having much variety on the TV, only 24 channels. It seems that more and more hotels are going the route of having fewer channels but more options for pay per view movies which are almost always overpriced. The high speed wireless is unreliable at best. I've used it for a little over an hour this morning and it's went out twice on me.

Overall it was good for a one night stay. There is absolutely nothing to do in the immediate area so I wouldn't know why you would stay multiple days. There is a Dairy Queen and a Subway right across the street. A very nice McDonald's with a kids play area less than a mile away along with an Arby's.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Grove
Comfort Inn Pine Grove
Comfort Inn Pine Grove
#2 of 4 in Pine Grove
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Frackville (Pottsville)
Holiday Inn Express Frackville
Comfort Inn Lebanon Valley/Ft. Indiantown Gap
Fairfield Inn & Suites - Lebanon Valley
Knights Inn Pine Grove
Knights Inn Pine Grove
#3 of 4 in Pine Grove

Been to Hampton Inn Pine Grove? Share your experiences!