“Won't be back soon!”

Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh-North (Harmarville)
Ranked #56 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed there June 15, 2013. Had a room on the first floor, NO air, roomed smelled musty and the room had a dehumidifier running. My wife and I were given a fan to help circulate the air in the room. The hotel was booked to capacity because of a wedding party so we could not get another room. The receptionist the next morning was very apologetic and did ofer a 50% rebate. A little too late.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh-North (Harmarville), responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear 1948cab,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry our hotel fell below your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort it may have caused you. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera P

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel. The women who checked us in was very friendly. She gave us a room upgrade for being in the preferred club and a little gift bag. The coffee and fresh fruit in the lobby was a nice touch. Our room was comfortable and clean. The selection for our free breakfast was impressive. My over all impression of the staff is that they were "above and beyond" what I would have expected. The only very small negative I could add is that it is close to train tracks that can be a little loud every once in a while, wasn't a deal breaker for us.

Room Tip: Sign up for the free preferred club, and ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Smarlowe02
HRVPA, GEC Jamie at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh-North (Harmarville), responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words! We are thrilled that you had a good stay and we hope to see you in the future. Unfortunately, we are very close to the train tracks, next time we can place you on the other side of the hotel, which shouldn't have that noise. :)

Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is my second stay at this property. Before this stay, I qualified as a PC Platinum. Every stay here has had issues with the room and the property.

On my most recent visit, I had one of the worst check in experiences in my life. The person working the front desk at 8:30 PM was rude, condescending, and had difficulty answering basic questions about my stay. After a long day, all I want sometimes is, "Thank you for being a PC member, here is your room." Didn't happen. The vibe I got was, "We don't care about you at this hotel. You should stay somewhere else."

On entering the room, the temperature on the A/C was at the minimum and it was freezing. Tried to turn on the light to see the controls, but the outlet where it was plugged in only had one functioning outlet. That one outlet was next to the only table in the room and it had a coffee pot, refrigerator, and a lamp to plug into it.

I do a lot of work in my room, so that outlet was also the only one that I could plug my laptop into. So I was stuck choosing one appliance or my laptop. I am now sitting in an almost dark room (there is only one other light) trying to drink now lukewarm coffee by the light of my laptop.

The public areas of this hotel are cramped. The workout room is a closet and the breakfast area is smaller than my room. In the breakfast room, the tables are too close together and you are subjected to a blaring TV pounding in your ears because you didn't sleep due to all the road noise. The crust on the food made it look like it was put out the night before and the fruit put out is either not ripe or so bruised that it should be fed to pigs . . . maybe they consider their guests to be pigs.

Oh don't worry if you are a light sleeper and request a quiet room in your profile, because they don't care and will put you in the nosiest room right next to the elevator overlooking the highway where you can be kept up by the dinging of the elevator and trucks rumbling by your window all night.

I was a regular IGH customer for a few years before jumping ship to another chain. Now I am not so sure that I want to stay at another IGH property for awhile. There are other options farther away from this sinkhole, so I suggest using them.

Room Tip: Don't request a room, because they won't give it to you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh-North (Harmarville), responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear ConsultingChris,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Platinum Member and for writing us a review. I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your most recent visit with us due to the issues you experienced at check in and condition of your room. Your review will be used to consider enhancements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done at a latter time.

Again, thanks for the candid review and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had an unexpected stay in the area and checked in rather late. Check in was easy and were given a lower rate after we told them that we had a child at UPMC. Our room was spacious and included a whirlpool, refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The bathroom was a little small however it was just fine for the two of us. They provide free Internet and a continental breakfast that was well prepared. The only negative thing I can think of is the noise of an occasional nearby train throughout the night. Overal pleasant stay and friendly staff would have me coming back if needed.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for such a lovely review. We are glad you had a nice stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is a great little hotel, confidently located near PA Turnpike and Route 28. Updated rooms, I can't say enough about the staff. They truly treat you like guests in their home. Housekeeping goes out of their way to make your stay memorable

Room Tip: May want to stay in an odd numbered room, seems a little quiter
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dddaniel49

That you for the kind words, we are happy to hear that you had a warm and welcoming stay. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We had not planned to stay here but our RV broke down and we needed to spend the night while we waited for repairs. We are priority club members so we received a room upgrade and a bag of treats upon check-in. All staff we encountered were friendly and greeted us with a smile. We loved the free breakfast. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The only negative thing was there seemed to be not very many outlets available for charging our electronics but we managed. Staff allowed us to have a late checkout since our r v repair took longer than we had hoped. The hot coffee in the lobby was nice. The kids enjoyed the pool and we used the fitness room while they swam. You can walk on the treadmill and see right into the pool area. Based on this stay, if we were ever in the area again, we would stay here! The Front desk ladies and housekeeping staff made our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for the kind words. We are so happy that we could help out!

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel two nights while in the area for a family funeral. Check in went smoothly and we received a nice goodie bag as rewards members. The room is quite large, and may have been an upgrade, although that wasn't mentioned at check-in. It looks much larger than other rooms on the diagram on the back of the door. The couch was comfortable for reading before we had to go out. The bed was comfortable, although, the arrangement on it of four rather sad looking little pillows when we first entered was off-putting. Thankfully, the pillows were more comfortable than they looked. The bathroom was clean, but quite small. At least there is plenty of counter space. I did have a problem with the water running cold at the end of my shower, but when I moved the control, it warmed up again.

My title refers to the ongoing "hum" of noise all night long. When we went to bed, I could hear traces of music, not terribly loud, but annoying. Then the sound of voices began. Again, it wasn't terribly loud, just irritating. I think both emanated from the lobby area, which was just below our room. Then, there were people outside, by the front entrance, who were probably out there to smoke, and conversing, which reached us on the second floor. Someone commented that the windows are soundproof...apparently not in this room. This hum of music and voices continued all night, at least every time I woke up through the night, I could hear it. I thought to turn on the fan for "white noise" but it oscillates, from loud to soft, and doesn't produce a continuous fan sound. The second night, I used foam earplugs, and that helped, but I don't like having to resort to that. If I would stay at this hotel again, I would definitely request a room away from the lobby area, and if possible, on the third floor.

Breakfast was very good, plentiful and kept well stocked. It was nice to be able to get a Sunday newspaper, as many places that provide weekday papers, don't offer Sunday's. All in all, a decent stay, but a little too noisy at night for my liking.

Room Tip: Stay away from the room(s) directly over the lobby area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Libralady
IHGCare, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh-North (Harmarville), responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Dear Libralady,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I appreciate the kind words about our hotel, rooms clean and comfortable and our breakfast exceeded your expectations. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us. We want our guests to have the best sleep possible when away from home and I am very sorry for the inconvenience the noise may have caused during your stay. I understand your frustrations and only ask that if you encounter these kind of problems please just let the Manager on Duty know so they can try to resolve the issue right away. Nevertheless, I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

I trust that the above issues will not deter you from choosing us as your hotel on your next visit to Pittsburgh, PA.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh/Harmarville
Comfort Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Allegheny Valley
TownePlace Suites Pittsburgh Harmarville
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Neville Island

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh-North (Harmarville)? Share your experiences!