“It’s a cute place; however, if the owners don’t care, I don’t either.”

Sunnyledge Boutique Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsburgh
Sunnyledge Boutique Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2011

MAY BE worth a second look but I wouldn’t make reservations until I had a chance to check it out. t was clean enough but it needs repairs. The doorknobs are falling off. There are cracks in the tile. The driveway needs to be mowed. The tables on the porch, which needs to be swept, need to be dusted. The Martini Bar had a great menu but they were out of several juices and liqueurs. We invented our own drinks based on what they had. On our second night there, they didn’t even bother to open the bar. Breakfast was a choice of a bagel or an English muffin. I’ve had about the same at a chain motel. Sadly, the restaurant, which had received good reviews is closed. The rooms were spacious but it was hard to shut the doors and we had to ask them to turn on the air conditioning. On the plus side, there was plenty of off-street parking and it was in a good location. Shadyside has several cute restaurants and is in walking distance. In the other direction is Carnegie Mellon University, which is also quite a pleasant walk. It is also a quick drive to the Phipps Conservatory (or within walking distance) and a reasonable distance to the Strip. More effort on the part of the owners would make this a recommendable hotel. Despite these features, there is no information about Pittsburgh or things to do in the area is provided. We asked about a movie and the staff member seemed unfamiliar with the neighborhood. The staff was pleasant but unmotivated.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Sunnyledge Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2011

People complain about room size, bathroom size, layout, no elevator, etc. But think about it folks- this place used to be someone's home in the 1800's! It was not designed to be a hotel.

I've read the reviews on this site and am astounded at the terrible experiences people have had. Yes, parking is limited and not cheap, but that will not ruin your visit. I have never once experienced a dirty room, in fact the rooms have a delightful clean scent when you walk in! I have seen a few stink bugs, but what do you expect? This is an old building in Pittsburgh. Stinkbugs are all over this town. The staff consists mostly of college-aged girls who are clearly only there for a paycheck, but they are all so friendly and eager to assist. Never had one issue with impolite staff. I will say, though, that the man working overnight is from another country and is somewhat difficult to understand, but who am I to judge him? He probably has difficulty understanding us too. The restaurant has been closed, which is not stated on the website- which needs updated- but even without it, this hotel is quaint, cozy, and beautiful. It does not have that drab hotel feel.

The satellite tv has issues at times, but if I'm enjoying a peaceful visit in a charming old building, why would tv be a priority? Enjoy your surroundings. You can watch tv at home.

The martini bar is so cozy it feels like you are just enjoying a drink with close friends in a warm, comfy lounge at home- not the loud bumping party scene found everywhere else. And the server is fantastic (and quite handsome)!

I would stay at Sunnyledge a million times. And like I said, for those of you who complain about every little detail, stop and think about the history of this place. Maybe then you'll appreciate its beauty rather than degrade its superficial flaws.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank iawhs1010
Reviewed 22 January 2011

This trip was a gift to my husband and I for Christmas 2009. We waited until June 2010 to take our trip so we could enjoy the beautiful city! What a disappointment this place turned out to be. They lied about the restaurant being opened, so we weren't able to use our full gift certificate. They said that they got approval to send us a check of the remaining balance after we left, because I told them that we would not be making a trip back to spend the remaining $50 of our gift card. (We are from out of state) I even gave them a self address stamped envelope so they wouldn't have to go through any trouble. I called 4 times after the trip and they always told me the check was in the mail...YEAH RIGHT!
THEY NEVER SENT BACK THE REMAINING MONEY...SCAMS!!!! Anyways, they can keep the money- obviously they need it that bad. They are short staffed, the manager/owner doesn't know how to run a business, and the place is dark and dreary.
The rooms are average at best, for the amount of money it cost to stay here PLEASE take me to a nice HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to top it off...we had to pay for a parking spot that we may or may not have access too??? Seriously???? NEVER and I mean NEVER again. Save your money-

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JM-in_O-H-I-O
Reviewed 8 January 2011

The place had inconsistent reviews to begin with, but all I needed was a place to stay New Year's Eve that was in a safe location, was convenient to downtown, and didn't have a multi-night minimum. Being 12/31, with a major sporting event in town that weekend, all I could find was this place or some "one-star" chain hotels out in the 'burbs. Thank goodness for Trip Advisor, as it gave me a heads up as to what to expect.

Check in was amazingly smooth, and the young lady at the front desk was cheerful and efficient. Our room was darling -- not my style of decor, but it worked for the 19th century building -- and clean. And, they had free Wi-Fi! We explored the building and discovered a pile of furniture at the bottom of what appeared to be the emergency exit. Not good, but I figured we could climb over it if we needed to get out and the main stairs were blocked.

When we left for the evening, we'd asked the lady who checked us in about whether we'd have trouble finding a parking place when we got back. "Oh no," she said reassuringly. "Guests have priority parking. Just let us know if the lot's full when you get back and we'll find you a place." When we returned about 10:30 that night, the woman at the front desk (who was playing with a small child and was obviously unhappy to be working New Year's Eve) rudely told us to park on the street and we could move our car later after the restaurant patrons had left. I made the point that parking should be free if it wasn't available (having parked there in the afternoon, we were already on the hook for the parking charge). "Surly lady" said she didn't have the authority to agree to that, but she'd leave a note.

There wasn't any parking on the street either, so we double parked in the hotel parking lot and stayed up until a spot became available around 11:30. Staying up late to move the car was less of an imposition than it otherwise might have been, because the party in the bar/restaurant was quite festive. They weren't unreasonably loud, and it was New Year's Eve, but there were a couple of young-ish children running around (as kids do) blowing noisemakers (as kids do) at the bottom of the stairs leading up to our room (DESIGN FLAW!!!). Ug! That's not really anyone's fault, but I'm posting it to let future guests know that the place is designed such that there's an inherent conflict between the needs and interests of the restaurant/bar patrons and those of us who go to bed early.

I finally fell asleep after welcoming the new year for Eastern and Central time. When I woke a few hours later because a fire truck/police car/ambulance went by, I discovered another design flaw, this one in the bathroom. The toilet paper dispenser on the wall hangs over the toilet seat, and clearly one of us bumped it earlier in the evening. The spring-rod holding the roll into the dispenser had popped out, and the toilet paper roll had landed in the toilet. And nope - not a spare roll of paper to be found! After the parking and noise problems, it simply struck me as funny.

You may think that was the end of the story, but the saga continued at breakfast. As we were going down for breakfast around 9:45 AM, another guest was coming up and mentioned that the only person there was the housekeeper---while she was trying REALLY hard to prepare breakfast, breakfast obviously wasn't what she was trained to do. Yep, we were greeted by a sweet but ditsy older lady who offered us our choice of coffee/tea/milk/orange juice and a bagel/croissant/English muffin/sliced fruit. I thanked her kindly, accepted an OJ, some coffee, and a bagel with jam (because they didn't have cream cheese), and mentally reminded myself that there are people who would be thrilled to have a warm, clean, safe place to stay and would be very happy with the breakfast offerings.

The cheerful lady from the previous day arrived around 10. It was clear from the conversation between her and the cleaning lady that the night shift hadn't washed the dishes, the hotel was turning over most of their rooms that day, and the cleaning lady was supposed to get off work soon (never mind that check out wasn't until noon). We left feeling somewhat positive, as our checkout was handled efficiently and we didn't get charged for parking at the time. However, the parking charge was added to my credit card retroactively.

Bottom line --- The next time my choices are limited to the Sunnyledge Hotel in Shadyside and a one-star hotel at half the price in Monroeville, I'm going with the one-star hotel at a one-star price.

Pros - free Wi-Fi, convenient to public transportation, friendly day-time staff, clean property, safe neighborhood, generous portion of orange juice

Cons - overpriced for what you get, limited parking, blocked fire escape, surly night-time staff, awful acoustics, noise from the street, non-working satellite TV, tiny bathroom, disappointing breakfast

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1998PhDiva
Reviewed 20 November 2010

We recently had my daugher's bridal shower in the dinning room. It was a "Mad Hatter Tea Party" so of course we had the High Tea. They let us into the dinning room early to set up all our decorations. We had 21 guests which our server, Bogdan handled with ease. He was very efficient and pleasant (he even offered to wash all the tea cups we had brought to decorate the tables with)! All the food was delicious..fresh and tasty. Overall, our experience at SunnyLedge was very enjoyable. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone planning a small intimate gathering.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I stayed at Sunnyledge this past weekend, as I was in town for my fathers 60th birthday and had a wonderful time! Martinis were delicious and the appetizers were good also. It seems as though they have taken notice of the other reviews posted, because we had a totally different experience. We have 2 small children that are up very early, we were able to get breakfast right at 8 a.m. and the breakfast was a very large bagel complete with yogurt and fresh berries. The staff was pleasant and when our room was a bit chilly during the night (as 125 year old buildings can be), we called the front desk and they remedied it immediately. I wanted to share our story because while we were dining during breakfast our delight seemed to be the consensus among the group. I didn't want the reviews of a few to overshadow such a wonderful place. Definitely will stay again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Sunnyledge looked great on the website, and the building looked great in person. Once we got settled, it was a totally different story. There were stinkbugs all over our room. There are no controls for temperature in the rooms. I asked for a fan at 2am from the "24 hour concierge" who didn't speak English and brought me a hair dryer. He claimed to have turned on the air conditioning, but the heat in the room was unbearable!

We stayed in Pittsburgh for a wedding. I called the front desk to get a cab ~45 minutes before we needed to leave. I got downstairs early to check on the cab status. The girl at the desk called the cab company, gave them the address and said "20 minutes? ok, thanks". I don't believe that she ever called the cab and we ended up driving to the wedding, which ruined our evening.

This hotel claims to be a martini bar...but ran out of ice. They have no ice machine, no ice to give me to take to my sauna of a room, super limited selection of TV channels, and greasy food smells are everywhere! To top it all off, the staff was cordial, at best.

I just got back from this trip today and will be in touch with the manager (who was not on site during the entire weekend) as soon as possible.

Avoid this uncomfortable money pit.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple