“Horrible and really overpriced. The LAST place you want to stay in Pittsburgh.”

Sunnyledge Boutique Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsburgh
Sunnyledge Boutique Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2011

At first, we thought the Sunnyledge looked like a nice and interesting bed and breakfast. Were we wrong!

We were traveling with a 9 year old and told the front desk when we called that we needed a suite with two rooms with a rollaway bed in the second room. The room was very expensive, but they said they could accommodate. When we got there. The rollaway was in the same room as the main bed, and the person working at the hotel said if we wanted it moved into the other room, we had to move it ourselves.

The bathtub was poorly constructed and two of the three people in our party fell out of it violently.

The website is absurd: there is no longer any restaurant or tearoom. All there is on offer for breakfast are toasted Lenders bagels and "half" a glass of orange juice.

Finally, they add on a charge for parking without telling you. The person at the front desk admitted this was a bit crazy but said it "used" to make sense to do this when there was a restaurant onsite. We would've parked on the street!

For the first time in my life, I left a message for the manager to call me. So far, I've waited a week an have not received a call. Do NOT stay here ever! It's dusty, extremely overpriced, absurdly understaffed, and the car noise will prevent you from sleeping.

• Stayed July 2011
6 Thank Roadtrip21210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2011

..this is a wonderful place to stay. Very genteel & relaxed, the kind of place that is it's own destination. To be savored & enjoyed, overlooking it's wrinkles & slightly unkept grounds. Romantic & within walking distance of Shadyside with an impecable albeit young staff, it is fine, fine & special place to create a great (& hopefully other) memories!

Room Tip: Ask the staff after explaining the purpose of your stay.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trumanS
Oslo
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Don't stay here, whatever you do!
2 star hotel at 4 star prices! The website is misleading, to say the least. The kitchen was closed, so no more than coffee/tea and bagels for breakfast, no more meals after that. We were put into an attic room on the 3rd floor, AC not working when we arrived and didn't get fixed until the 4th day, and the temp. was about 30c for all 3 days. The toilet didn't flush properly on the first day. No water from the taps, but did get sorted quickly. Dirty porch, metal furniture very dirty, no cushions to sit on either. Short staffed and no sign of management. We had reserved for about 9 days, but got out fast. I did say that I was expecting a rebate because of the AC not working, it was most uncomfortable trying to sleep in a very, very hot room. The reply was "I will speak to management and your card won't be debited until you get a phone call" Well, needless to say the call never came and my card was deibited with the full amount.
So keep away guys, try one of the hotels Downtown Pittsburgh. We got into the Wyndham, cheaper, better, friendly and proff. staff. We should have went there to start with and saved ourselves 3 days of aggro. and overpricing. Sunnyledge should be reported to Pittsburgh tourism organisation for misleading clients and overpricing them.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mermaidOslo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I read the reviews that were mixed, but decided to try it anyway.... bad choice. The location is great, within a reasonable walk of the universities, botanical garden, museums, and great neighborhood dining. The hotel itself is architecturally interesting. I can see this as a potentially great B&B -- but it doesn't live up to its potential.

It advertises a martini bar with a great menu. Unfortunately, there is no longer bartender, but the hotel concierge did her best -- but, the bar is out of everything (as if they are just using up the last of their stock before it goes bust).

The rooms are a reasonable size, but only marginally clean. The blankets were torn, the carpet is dirty, and door knobs and tap handles are hanging on by a thread and tend to fall off. Some of these things are relatively minor repairs, which could be done by an owner who was handy- or cared about the property.

The covered porch would be a great place to sit and watch the world go by, but unfortunately it hasn't been swept for a long time, the chairs and tables were dusty, the "welcome mat" was filthy, and the same ashtray with cigarette butts was there for the entire 3 days of our stay. There were weeds growing out of the drive way, and no attention was being paid to the appearance.

Breakfast is meagre at best. Bagles with cream cheese, engish muffins, croissants orange or cranberry juice, coffee, and fresh fruit. On the first day, the bagel was stale, and the fresh fruit never got delivered. So, for the second bread, I tried the croissant -- that was worse -- it had a moldy taste to it (maybe it was freezer burn), and the "fresh fruit" seemed a lot like old pre-pack store-sliced fruit. Everyone in my party took a bite, than spit it out. Since the conciege was more interetsed in the computer (there was only one other couple in the hotel), she never came back to ask how our breakfast was.

I complained about the poor quality of the hotel, with all of the items above. The concierge, who clearly doesn't care much, told me to complain on Trip Advisor. It would be nice to think that the owner cared (seems unlikely) to read the bad reviews.

The overall impression I got with this place that the owners have given up, lost interest, and stopped caring about this "toy" business some time ago. Too bad, because it could be a great place with a bit of investment, and a staff and owner who cared.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2011

MAY BE worth a second look but I wouldn’t make reservations until I had a chance to check it out. t was clean enough but it needs repairs. The doorknobs are falling off. There are cracks in the tile. The driveway needs to be mowed. The tables on the porch, which needs to be swept, need to be dusted. The Martini Bar had a great menu but they were out of several juices and liqueurs. We invented our own drinks based on what they had. On our second night there, they didn’t even bother to open the bar. Breakfast was a choice of a bagel or an English muffin. I’ve had about the same at a chain motel. Sadly, the restaurant, which had received good reviews is closed. The rooms were spacious but it was hard to shut the doors and we had to ask them to turn on the air conditioning. On the plus side, there was plenty of off-street parking and it was in a good location. Shadyside has several cute restaurants and is in walking distance. In the other direction is Carnegie Mellon University, which is also quite a pleasant walk. It is also a quick drive to the Phipps Conservatory (or within walking distance) and a reasonable distance to the Strip. More effort on the part of the owners would make this a recommendable hotel. Despite these features, there is no information about Pittsburgh or things to do in the area is provided. We asked about a movie and the staff member seemed unfamiliar with the neighborhood. The staff was pleasant but unmotivated.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2011

People complain about room size, bathroom size, layout, no elevator, etc. But think about it folks- this place used to be someone's home in the 1800's! It was not designed to be a hotel.

I've read the reviews on this site and am astounded at the terrible experiences people have had. Yes, parking is limited and not cheap, but that will not ruin your visit. I have never once experienced a dirty room, in fact the rooms have a delightful clean scent when you walk in! I have seen a few stink bugs, but what do you expect? This is an old building in Pittsburgh. Stinkbugs are all over this town. The staff consists mostly of college-aged girls who are clearly only there for a paycheck, but they are all so friendly and eager to assist. Never had one issue with impolite staff. I will say, though, that the man working overnight is from another country and is somewhat difficult to understand, but who am I to judge him? He probably has difficulty understanding us too. The restaurant has been closed, which is not stated on the website- which needs updated- but even without it, this hotel is quaint, cozy, and beautiful. It does not have that drab hotel feel.

The satellite tv has issues at times, but if I'm enjoying a peaceful visit in a charming old building, why would tv be a priority? Enjoy your surroundings. You can watch tv at home.

The martini bar is so cozy it feels like you are just enjoying a drink with close friends in a warm, comfy lounge at home- not the loud bumping party scene found everywhere else. And the server is fantastic (and quite handsome)!

I would stay at Sunnyledge a million times. And like I said, for those of you who complain about every little detail, stop and think about the history of this place. Maybe then you'll appreciate its beauty rather than degrade its superficial flaws.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank iawhs1010
Ohio
Reviewed 22 January 2011

This trip was a gift to my husband and I for Christmas 2009. We waited until June 2010 to take our trip so we could enjoy the beautiful city! What a disappointment this place turned out to be. They lied about the restaurant being opened, so we weren't able to use our full gift certificate. They said that they got approval to send us a check of the remaining balance after we left, because I told them that we would not be making a trip back to spend the remaining $50 of our gift card. (We are from out of state) I even gave them a self address stamped envelope so they wouldn't have to go through any trouble. I called 4 times after the trip and they always told me the check was in the mail...YEAH RIGHT!
THEY NEVER SENT BACK THE REMAINING MONEY...SCAMS!!!! Anyways, they can keep the money- obviously they need it that bad. They are short staffed, the manager/owner doesn't know how to run a business, and the place is dark and dreary.
The rooms are average at best, for the amount of money it cost to stay here PLEASE take me to a nice HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to top it off...we had to pay for a parking spot that we may or may not have access too??? Seriously???? NEVER and I mean NEVER again. Save your money-

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple