“Fine place near Hockey Arena” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pittsburgh Marriott City Center

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
West Grove, Pennsylvania
“Fine place near Hockey Arena”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I have stayed here before but had the chance to spend another night this week and found the room very clean, the staff very courteous and helpful, the view spectacular, and the stay rewarding. The name of the hotel may be misleading since the only thing really near is the hockey arena, and perhaps Duquesne University, but there is a hotel shuttle which will take you wherever you want. If you want to be near quaint shops, stay at the Sheraton at Station Square. If you want to be in the center of the city, stay at the Omni William Penn. But if you can get a comparable price and want a quiet, comfortable place with a fine restaurant and a good track record, I recommend this place.

4 Thank Awarely
robert p, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel and once again welcome back. I'm happy that you were able to enjoy our hotel and thank you for once again joining us. I would like to thank you for your candor and kind words regarding our hotel and I hope that you chose our property in the near future. Please contact me for any future travel needs and have a great holiday season.

Pittsburgh City Center Marriott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

I booked this hotel for a business trip during a week with a major convention in the city. I had a lot of trouble finding a hotel room and when I got a room here for $300+ I was more than glad not to be staying 10 miles out of the city. My first view was the dated lobby decor, rather dark and cramped compared to modern standards. The restaurant/bar revealed remnants of the elegant place it was when first built, but missing wood trim on the bar's service door, peeling edging around the bar counter and other signs that time was taking its toll were visible.
The room, however was decent, I got good sleep, the hospitality area was a nice touch and the exercise facilities/pool was good. The gentleman who checked me in was also helpful. All in all, not bad, but nothing to rave about.

1 Thank DaveOfBoston
robert p, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank your comments regarding your stay at the Pittsburgh City Center Marriott, our hotel has a lobby redo planned with in the next month and I do agree with you that this can effect your reflection of the hotel. I would like to thank you for your feedback and hope that you will come back to our hotel in the future, please contact me directly in the future with your travel needs so I can make your reservation for you.

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Stayed here overnight on business. For us, this was an ideal location in walking distance to our downtown business meeting locations. While not in the "heart" of the downtown retail areas, it is less than a 10 minute walk. As other reviews noted, there is a lot of altitude changes in the local area--the hotel is on a hill, and walks are up and down from here.

The hotel facilities were great. Service was excellent. The rooms are superb and the views are great too. We had an upper floor. It is located next to the new hockey arena.

Internet access was provided and there were no connection issues. The breakfast served was well above average and included a wide variety of choices. The staff was polite and extremely helpful. I was greeted as "sir" so many times I thought I was in the service!

Considering the competitive pricing, this hotel deserves serious consideration for business travelers with meetings in the city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Boston_T_Party
Regina, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We have stayed at this hotel the last three years when we make our yearly hockey pilgramage to Pittsburgh! As usual the Marriott was perfect! We were able to check in early, were upgraded and arrived to find an incredibly beautiful and clean hotel room! The staff are incredibly nice and are always willing to help you out!! The location is perfect for watching a Penguins game! We truly love this hotel!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deneeb
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel, I am glad that we were able to provide you a high level of service in our hotel. I am glad that you chose our hotel for your travel needs, thank you once again and please contact me directly for your future travel needs.

Pittsburgh City Center Marriot
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Stay here on an overnight to Pittsburgh. Check in was a breeze. The room was very nice and clean. The room was very spacious, very nicely decorated - and very clean - as was the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. The room also had a small fridge and a nice area to hookup the laptop. We had the breakfast buffett in the hotel resturant Steelhead - the food was very good, wait staff was very attentive - an overall good experience. The only thing I would like to mention is there is not hotel parking - you do have to pay for parking - its $19 overnight in the parking garage which is adjacent to the hotel.

All in all a great experience, I would definately stay here again while visiting Pittsburgh.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
robert p, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your kind comments regarding your stay at the Pittsburgh City Center Marriott. It is great to see that you enjoyed our hotel and the service levels that were given to your during your stay. I hope that you choose our hotel in the future and have a wonderful week. Once again thank you for choosing Marriott and have a great day.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I was here for a convention at the, well, convention center. It was only about a 10 minute walk but there seemed to be so many other comparably priced hotels much closer. The walk to this hotel from the convention center is all uphill. Plus, there isn't really anything "close" by. I ended up taking cabs frequently. What free shuttle are the other reviewers talking about? I didn't know anything about a shuttle and I paid for cabs for three days. The doorman never got me a shuttle ride.

Anyway, I didn't try the restaurant or bar but they seemed fairly busy and I heard the food was good.

Rooms were clean and comfortable. I had a view of "the Igloo" from my room which was cool. I was high enough up that the noise from the roads didn't bother me.

I'd stay here again, but I'd look at other options first that are closer to where I want to be.

I did feel safe walking anywhere around there and the complaints about crossing the street aren't really valid. There are places to cross.

Room Tip: Get high enough up to reduce road noise
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel, I do apologize that our lacation was not ideal for your travel needs. I am happy that you enjoyed the level of service that our hotel provided and that you enjoyed your overall hotel experience. I hope that you will join us again in your future travels.

Have a great day,

Pittsburgh City Center
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed the weekend of Nov 5th for the Steelers game. When we arrived at the hotel was told our room was not ready because of a college game being played that evening causing a late checkout. We were informed we could check our bags and go to their Hospitality Suite until our room was ready. We went and had something to drink then since this was out first trip to Pittsburgh decided to do some sight seeing and get something to eat. The hotel is located in a very convenient area where it is an easy walk to the Market Square and also visited the Strip area for Steeler souveniors. We then returned to the hotel checked in and our room was beautiful with an awesome view of the Steel City. Customer service was great.We walked back from Heinz Field after the game. We definitely enjoyed our stay and will be back again. Also the Fitness equiptment was some of the best I've seen in hotels.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
robert p, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Pittsburgh City Center Marriott. Thank you for patience regarding the wait during your check-in, I and glad that you enjoyed your room and view and thank you for your kind words on your customer service. Once again thank you for being a loyal Marriott guest and have a great day.