“Business in Pittsburgh”

Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Jacksonville, FL
“Business in Pittsburgh”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Okay, stayed here for business for two weeks and I had decent expectations for this place. However, this is just an average Marriott. The hotel bar/restaurant was not that great. The rooms had been updated, but nothing special. The concierage lounge was nice. Overall, the location is great but nothing special here. I will be staying at the Marriott Airport and driving into the city from now on.

1 Thank smalltimecpa
robert p, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
I would like to apologize to for the stay that you experienced while staying at the our hotel. I feel that being medicore is worse thean being bad. I would like to personally apoligze for the service that you recieved and would hope that you would return to out hotel in the near future. Once again we strive on our service and the service that you recieved during your stay was not up to our level.

Pittsburgh City Center Marriott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Pittsburgh Marriott City Center is an average Marriott. I had a nice stay at this property March 28th – April 1st 2012 while attending a conference at the Pittsburgh Convention Center. The hotel is about a 10-15 walk to the convention center. The conference I attended provided shuttle service to and from this hotel. The hotel itself has recently undergone a renovations. The rooms are comfortable pretty average fare for Marriott. I ate at the restaurant for breakfast for two days again pretty standard although breakfast potatoes where excellent! Other than the Consol Energy Center there is not a lot to do in the immediate area. There was a Rock concert one of the nights of my stay the hotel that caused the hotel to be flooded with concert goers. That created an excellent environment for people watching but also provided a different vibe to hotel as many were loud and drunk. Be mindful of this if there is an event at the Center during your stay as this appears the hotel is a pre and post gathering spot for those that attend events at the center. The gym was bit disappointing 4 elliptical, about the same amount of treadmill and 2 bikes. There were also a free weight and a weight machine. I have seen far nicer gyms at Marriott properties. All in all I had an average stay no complaints and no high praises. If you are coming in town for business and need a nice comfortable, familiar place to stay the The Pittsburgh Marriott City Center may be it.

2 Thank Esperanza725
I would like to apologize that you were not pleased with your stat at our hotel. I would to like to apoligze for the average experience and we strive to go above and beyond for all of our guest's. This is not the service level that you should recieve at our hotel and I hope that you will join us again to show that we are not an average hotel. Once again I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and I hope that you will give our hotel another chance to make it right in your eyes.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Nice room, close to the arena. We went for the hockey game, so it was perfect.

Room Tip: Directly across the street from the arena. We went there for the hockey game, so it was perfect.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Wife and I took our son to look at Duquesne University. We stayed at the Marriott Downtown as the University had a deal with the hotel. I hadn't stayed in a Marriott in some time, but enjoyed our stay here in Pittsburgh. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable and all of the staff was very helpful. Not a bad word to say about any of them. If you are staying in Pittsburgh, check this hotel out and if going to Duquesne for any reason, see if the school has a special rate there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
robert p, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
I am glad that you found our hotel accomadating for your stay while visiting our city. I would like to thank you so choosing our hotel with so many options that you have available to you. Thank you for writing such a find response and have a great day. Look forward to seeing you when you return back to our city.

Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I recently stayed here for 3 nights... The entire hotel is undergoing an aesthetic Renewal... mostly Carpets/Color Schemes etc... there was no construction mess going on.

The rooms are typical of any marriott, very clean, w/Crisp/clean linens... w/nice amenities... ie coffee, nice Flatscreen TV's.. The beds are comfortable.. & Bathrooms are very clean and adequately sized.
I do want to make a complimentary comment on the Entire Staff here, as during any and all interactions from Check-in to check-out, everyone was polite, professional and Pleasant. All Staff greet you whereever you meet or pass them w/smiles and appropriate greetings. I find that makes a difference...that the entire staff from the Manager down to the Housekeeping/janitorial staff all behaved in this way. Whatever problem or question I had, the service was expedient and professional

Anyways.. this hotel is in a great location... right next to the Consol energy Arena, where the Penguins Play, and walking distance to downtown, the Strip District , the point etc..& the subway station.
Parking is what you would expect... the garage charged $ 22/day.
My only complaint for my stay was that the Hotel Bar... "Steelhead Tavern" makes a lousy Long Island Iced Tea.
Oh the other issue was that the Reciepts from the parking garage are printed out very poorly... & I may not recieve re-imbursement because the printing is illegible.
Overall All, I recommend this hotel... for any visit to the Burgh Business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Rooms on both the front and rear of hotel have nice views of Pittsburgh... the front of the hotel ma...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much so staying with us and giving us the great review that you did regarding our service levels. I would like to personally thank you for taking the time out of your day to compliment our staff and that you were so happy with the service. Look forward to having you stay with us in the near future and have a great week.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Standard Marriott in so many ways. Everything was familiar and comfortable. I was in a very clean newly refurbished room -- dark wood tones with a modern design that was very attractive. Bathroom nicely decorated but a little small. Nice flat screen TV but it seemed dim (probably some eco power saver).

Service was very attentive and friendly. I was on the concierge floor so got to use the club lounge. It was a little small but very well serviced so that it handles a high turnover quickly. I was impressed with the waiter and how he quickly he cleared plates and insured breakfast was well stocked while also greeting everyone that came in or left.

I really liked the restaurant (Steelhead Braserrie and wine bar) with its lite menu and simple sandwiches. What a great idea! I came in around 8pm and needed a simple meal. While the restaurant has typical entrees (steaks etc) it also had simple sandwiches and salads. I usually have to search around for something simple that isn't room service. The price was also unbelievable - I had a glass of wine and a sandwich for $20 (plus tip).

I enjoyed my stay and clearly had everything I needed at a reasonable price.

I have not stayed at a Marriott in the US in years but this reminded me how dependable and consistent they can be.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
I would like to than kyou for commenting on the service levels that you recieved at our hotel. I will be speaking with our chef and stating how you enjoyed the menu. I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel with so many options out there. I hope that you will return to stay with us in the future and have a great day.

Chicago
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I admit, the rooms at the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center are over priced, compared to the competiton, but it is worth it! I once lived in this hotel for 2.5 years! When Ethan is behind the bar, he will remember your drink and food preference, even if it has been several months since your last visit. Not only that, but Ethan will ensure that your room is perfect, your stay is amazing, and your memories are wonderful. If I owned the property, I would make him the GM tomorrow. He makes a great martini, and knows all of the best places to eat in the city...but will most often convince the chef to make whatever you want, so I suggest staying at the hotel for dinner. My best memory was 2 years ago when Eric Clapton was in town. I left the bar for the show and asked Ethan to "hold my seat." When I returned, there was a velvet rope around a bar stool and a place card with my name on it. Such service is rarely equaled by the Ritz or Four Seasons.

If the bar is not reason enough to stay, ask for Danielle to be your server in the restaurant. She is amazing! She anticipates your needs, is very attentitive, and never misses the opportunity to ensure you are enjoying your meal.

Last, Vic from the Valet department is a terrific human being. He always remembers your name, has a kind word, and is the perfect representative to either welcome you to the hotel or to thank you for staying.

Simply put, when I am in the Burgh, Ethan, Danielle, and Vic make me feel like family. They will do the same for you...if you tell them that Chicago Jim sent you! :)

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - they often have them!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at our hotel as well as the kind comments for our bartender Ethan. I wil be passing your comments onto them and thank you for speaking so higly about our hotel. Thank you once again for choosing our hotel and have a great week.