“Very helpful staff comfortable rooms”

Pittsburgh Marriott City Center
Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I recently had my work geographic responsibilities change and now cover Pittsburgh. As a Marriott rewards member I try to stay at full service Marriotts so that I can take advantage of the Concierge Lounge, etc and other amenities.

This Marriott is a little older but it looks like it was updated not to long ago. The rooms are nice, typical Marriott but very clean and comfortable. However, I have to say the service is outstanding. I had the unfortunate event that I left my pocketbook in my room when I checked out and discovered that I left it there about an hour later. I called the hotel and they immediately dispatched a staff member who fetched my pocketbook and held it in the office until I was done with my meeting.

I was very relieved to get my pocketbook back and thankful to this excellent staff

I also have to compliment the restaurant on site. I was in a bit of a time crunch for lunch, and the waitress was very accommodating; we were served quickly and with a smile. Not only that, the Cobb salad was delicious.

The hotel is not extra fancy but very nice and will be my go to hotel when I am in Pittsburgh on business.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am so happy to hear that the staff gave such a great impression and that because of our service you will stay with us when in Pittsburgh. We take great pride in customer service and it is our pleasure to do anything we can to make your stay excellent. I hope we see you very soon! Have an amazing day!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

It was a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was too small. The windows were dirty. Some of the staff were not very up on the city. We had never been here before and could have use some information. There wasn't much information sitting around, brochures, etc. about things to do. If we had little kids with us, wires to the AC unit were easily accessible, not good. We had to pay to park there, really?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank noname307
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for writing about your stay with us here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am sorry to hear that your time as our guest was not the best that it could be. I appreciate the feedback and we will be using this information to improve for our future. I hope that the next time you are in Pittsburgh we can have you as our guest so we can change your impression of our hotel. I hope we see you soon. I appreciate your time and I hope you have a brilliant day!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We decided to take a mini road trip to catch a ballgame and explore the city over the July 4th weekend. We were booked to stay somewhere else much farther from city center, but my wife was able to snag a reservation here last minute. I'm glad we were able to change accommodations because after seeing where would have been situated this was a much better location with better amenities.

It was an extremely clean, well staffed hotel. Excellent sized room with a comfy bed. If you want to see a hockey game this is the place to stay because the Consol Energy Center is literally across the street. They have a parking garage for the hotel with decent rates. They had a breakfast buffet or conventional menu. The price was a little high, and overall I was not overly impressed with the food, yet their were a lot of choices for the buffet. The hotel is about two blocks from the "T" commuter train, which stops at all the important areas (PNC Park ,Gateway Plaza, Station Square). There was a shuttle service for no additional fee. Granted it is literally one guy carting people around so you have to bare with the traffic, but he was the nicest guy and it was convenient. The hotel was booked, but they were able to handle it - meaning it was always clean, the staff were pleasant, open late, etc. I've stayed at hotels before that were packed to the gills, and it showed because everything just looked crummy, but honestly, the staff do a top notch job here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

I am so happy to hear that you were able to get into our hotel over the 4th of July weekend! I am also happy that the hotel helped make your mini vacation great! I appreciate the information about the breakfast buffet- I will pass this on to the Director of Operations so that we can look at this. We here at the City Center take great pride in providing great customer service and a clean environment, I am so glad that this was your experience while staying as our guest. We cannot wait to see you again! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We lucked out and got a great deal through priceline.com for our weekend getaway.

Our room was amazing, the only down fall was a smaller bathroom. Our room had a king sized bed and a pull out couch. It featured two closets, a office style desk, free wifi, tv, "bar" area and bathroom. The bathroom although it included all the essentials seemed to be a little small for the over all room size (which was very spacious) . The room was very clean and well taken care of. We visited the pool which was also clean and well taken care of. ( I found the water cold but my husband and daughter had no problem with it)

We called the front desk/house keeping to bring us sheets for the pull out couch as there were none in the room and within a few minutes they arrived. We even got call to confirm the did the sheets were delivered. The bell hops were great. Always provided any info needed. Even gave us a walking map and info for the area. On our second night of our visit somehow we were locked out of our room. Quickly one of the bell hop men came to our floor with a new door card and let us in our room.

The starbucks was perfect for a quick breakfast option on both morning (but I was sad to find out the close at 1pm on Saturday & Sundays - I can drink Starbucks morning, noon and night!)
The bar serves so good snack items (we found out the full restaurant only serves certain hours of the day) The chicken finger & fries and wings along with wine, beer & chocolate milk hit the spot for us :)
Parking was a little high at $18/night (without re-entry higher with re-entry)
We did have room service one night and it was excellent with the exception of embarrassing the server without meaning to. We ordered a bottle of wine and the server offered to open it so I said yes please. Only to watch her struggle and my husband had to step in and do it for her. After that she told us she had never opened a wine bottle before. We did not realize the they would have left a bottle opener for us to do it ourselves. Felt terrible for making the young lady struggle for no reason.

The long and short of it... GREAT HOTEL, VERY MODERN, CLEAN ROOMS. Would highly recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

I really appreciate the detailed information you provided about your stay with us at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, its associates, and the accommodations. We cannot wait to have you as our guest again! I hope your day is brilliant!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our stay here , we arrived about 11:30 and were lucky to get in our room, too bad it was looking at the ugly roof, no problem , we got in early that was our goal, bathroom was nice, and the room was nice, I looked all over for a safe in the room, then read somewhere I would have to go downstairs, waited for my dd to arrive and went to get a shuttle and off to the city we went, it was very hot and humid this weekend we went and we knew it was going to be so we all brought frogg toggs and they saved us from the heat! after spending all day and night on carson st we finally came back and hit the bed, very comfy I might add, woke up in the morning and went to starbucks, DONT expect this Starbucks to be open long, their hours are the worst on weekend, who closes at 1pm on a weekend? any hoo, all was good, check out good. This hotel should have complimentary coffee all day, there really isnt anywhere that close to get coffee being that starbucks isnt open that long.

Room Tip: wish I knew , I asked for high room , got 12th floor..
1  Thank Danie44Dar44

Thanks for taking time and reviewing your stay with us here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I appreciate the information you provided to our future guests! Sorry about the inconvenient hours for Starbucks, we will look into this to see if we should change them for our guest- thanks for the feedback. I am glad you found places to stay cool while visiting- it can get VERY humid here- something I am not sure a lot of people know! We hope to see you again soon! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was among the best hotel experiences we’ve ever had on a family vacation. The staff is attentive, cordial and helpful. They provided us with a microwave oven for our room free of charge. The front desk attendants also printed out public transportation maps for us and provided us with an umbrella on a rainy day. The hotel offers friendly shuttle service to a variety of nearby locations and is centrally located to allow access to the subway system, taxis and busses. The room itself was perfectly sized for our family of four with updated furniture and decorations. The bed was comfortable. We simply could not have asked for anything more. We were able to grab an extraordinary deal through Priceline. The hotel and staff get my highest recommendation. Well done Marriott!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Wow! Thank you so much for your review of us here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. We are so happy to have you as our guest and I am glad that this was the impression you received while staying. I am also glad that the hotel was a great location to get to all of the activities you had planned while in the city. I hope that we will see you again soon! Have a great 4th of July!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My brothers and I were in town for a weekend getaway. The rooms were nice and clean. The reception and bell hops were friendly and helpful. There is a free shuttle (optional driver tip) to take you places, but it only goes in a 2-3 mile radius. We found out other hotels go a bit further, which would be an improvement for the Marriott (Hint Hint, maybe 5 miles??). There is a restaurant onsite and a Starbucks. As with most hotels, some loud guests are just plain rude late at night walking down the hallways.

If there was an option for a GOOD rating, that's what I would actually have rated this place. Nothing spectacular, but a good place to stay downtown. The Marriott points provided a bonus for my one brother.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
AJJ2120, Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for commenting on your stay with us here at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center. I am happy to hear that you were able to experience a good stay with us while in the Pittsburgh area. I also appreciate the feedback on areas that we did not meet your expectations, we will take this information and use it to improve for our future. We hope the next time you and your brothers make it to Pittsburgh we will have you as our guest. I hope you have a great holiday and a wonderful summer!